Find
Notify
Tools

Just back from Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted
My son and I just got back from hunting in Namibia south of Etosha. It was to be a combination plains game/leopard hunt. Losts of plains game no leopard. I am in the process of writing up the trip and have some pics ready. We ended up shooting more than was initially planned--a total of 20 animals. Had a great time.

This link will get you into a "slide show." You can just click start slideshow or click the pictures you are interested in.

Namibia July 2004

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a good time. Glad you were able to get a flight out of Atlanta; sounded like it was no fun for a while.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We got back a week ago today from Kamanjab. We drove past the entrance to your ranch. Great country, isn't it? Ours was a father son trip also. See 2 recent posts on Kamanjab. Great to have wildebeast on that property. That's all we lacked on our ranch that I had any desire to hunt. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard, you guys had an awesome trip. What camera did you use? I am trying to figure out which new digital to buy.
I shot all my critters in Namibia with the old '06 and 180 Nosler Partitions.
Like the shot of the church in Windhoek.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice animals!! Also mice to see anoher mac user on AR!! :-) _Baxter

Posts: 66 | Location: Idaho/Virginia | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Rob,

It was pretty bad in Atlanta and it got worse after I talked to you. Our flight got to ATL early and we cleared customs and rechecked the luggage by about 0900. I started to feel pretty bad about that time with a productive cough and some real discomfort when doing much exertion. The flight was to be at 1250. We got to the flight and there was a mechanical problem and we were told about 2 PM that the flight was going to be cancelled. We were told that we had been rebooked on a flight that was getting ready to leave at about 230 and we scrambled to another concourse.

When we go to the other concourse, it turns out that they only had on vacant seat on the plane. We then were told that another flight was going to leave in 25 minutes from another concourse. We dashed there and made the connection to Memphis at 4 PM.

I didn't feel up to driving home and spent the night in Memphis. I started taking some antibiotics and feel somewhat better. When I got home, I noticed quickly that somebody had left the door open slightly on the freezer. I believe that I was "bonding" for two weeks with the most likely culprit. We got to bond a bit more cleaning up the mess

It was really a good trip until the end--maybe I should have just stayed.

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Bob,

It really is amazing country. The blue the sky and the stars were like nothing I had ever seen before.

You and I are fortunate to be able to do something like this with our sons--I never had something like this with my father and now it is too late.

Regards,

Richard

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Mims,

I used a Canon PowerShot Pro1. I decided at the last minute to get the camera and I was pleased with its overall functioning. I am a fan of the Canon "L" glass and wanted to try it. The Pro1 shares a lot of the pro's and con's of similar type cameras. They are convenient to use and have many features. They are slow to focus and have shutter lag compared to digital SLR's. The Flash position and red eye reduction features seem to have done away with the problem. It appears pretty sturdy, withstanding a six foot drop from a Land Cruiser.

I missed a few pictures due to not being familiar with the camera. Naturally, I left the instructions at home.

My son used his 30-06 with good results. He used the Federal premiun HE's with 180 grain TB Bearclaws. I had a 9.3x62 using 286 grain Nosler partitions. I was happy with the results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I never had the old "slightly open door on the freezer" but twice I have discovered the old "freezers gone out" while nobody is around. Wheeewe! They don't make clothespins big enough for your nose when you are in the clean up stage from that and getting that mess off the floor!
Then...getting the "adios" freezer to the dump is a thrill too.
Glad to hear your results with your 9.2 x 62. I used one to great advantage in RSA along with my '06.
Love that caliber too.
Thanks for the report on the camera.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Baxter,

With a Mac it is so easy to do a little slideshow using iPhoto. I almost feel guilty.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard, Yes it is alomst cheating, check out a little video montage of Saeed's 577 videos I did usinf imovie and a demuxer to edit the sound track. :-) http://homepage.mac.com/zagaya/Etc/Videos/BOOM3.mp4

Posts: 66 | Location: Idaho/Virginia | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Baxter,

That is pretty slick! From the looks of it, I Couldn't be paid enough to shoot it though.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Richard:

I remember not too long ago trying (successfully) to get you to come to Atlanta SCI. Then, upon your arrival, I pled (again sucessfully) to get you to bid on some auctions at the banquet. Now, for the good of lots of ill folks in Mississippi, I guess I'll have to work my magic to keep you from quitting the practice of medicine and moving to Africa so you can hunt all the time???

Great pictures, great son, great shooting!

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a great trip with plenty of trophies. BTW, I might have been trying to "pet" the sunbather instead of the cheetah .

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Richard,

I'm glad to see that you had a great trip. Maybe we will be seeing you again at Ga-SCI ? We still need to get together for a little show-and-tell on our gun collecting interests.

Looking forward to further details on your hunt.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I'd like to go to the Georgia SCi, but I'd have to put up with Ernest (AKA Judge G) trying to spend all of my money.

If we could tell him it had been rescheduled until April.......