New
Find
Notify
Tools

500/.416
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with this round in a double rifle? Performance and recoil?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't. A friend in San Antonio has a Kreighoff in 500/416. He loves the rifle and has several sets of barrels for it. He has hunted Africa and was impressed with the round.

I think it will become a double rifle standard in years to come. A flanged case, long good penetrating .416 bullet at moderate pressure.

The recoil for me is more than I like, although he has two sets of recoil reducers in his rifle. Doesn't do much for the balance. Eeker

I think PWN375 has a 500/416 and likes the round.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Not to try and speak for him, but PWN375 (my boet) does have the rifle in question. I have let a few fly from the barrels and enjoy it quite a bit.
As far as recoil goes, I think that my 300 mag kicks harder than the his double; the 300 has a smack to it, the 500/416 is more of a push. While the double obviously does recoil more (bigger bullet, bigger case, more powder, more, more, more, etc, etc, etc), it is not as felt as severely (at least in my opinion). Hell, It could just be the allure of the double that makes me feel that way.
As for penetration, I have yet to smack a piece of meat with it; but at about 45 or 50 yards it drilled a hole the size of my index finger in a piece of 1 1/2 inch thick steel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Krieghoff in 500/416. Recoil is manageable in this heavy gun, no worse that the 416 Rigby (same bullet, same velocity). Haven't shot anything with it yet, but expect same penetration as 416 Rigby (surprise surprise). Accuracy at 50 yards is excellent!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I was present when PWN375 shot a large Eland cow through the shoulders with his 500/416NE! He was useing a solid, and the bullet shot straight through both shoulders from about 75 yds, and as far as I know, the bullet is still going! Wink The Eland went down for the count in about ten yds, actually falling the whole 10 yds! The Kreighoff doubles are not well fitted to my body, and as such I find the handleing a little wierd. I would like to have another brand chambered for the 500/416NE, but if the Krieghoff fits you, and you can live with the cocking system, then the cartridge is fine, and the rifle is well made, and strong! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
As Rusty, BWN300 and Mac have stated I have a 500/416 and it will do everything a 416 rimless cartridge will do. I have shot a fair sized cow eland and, in Zimbabwe using softs, 2 feral bovines. I have not recovered a bullet yet and one of the bovines was facing me at the shot. The rifle seems to fit me well and I have made some fair running shots with it. I will be attempting to kill and elephant with it in May so hope to be able to report the results upon my return.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 500-416 makes a lot of since...It could be the wave of the future in doubles...

I wonder if it can be built on a 20 gage frame like a 450-400 can..that would be a deciding factor for my next Searcy...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I have a Krieghoff 500/416 and have been quite pleased with it. Recoil is not to bad. Have shot 2 buff with it and was impressed. The last buff was shot with a Texas heart shot. Bullet(400grn Woodleigh solid)hit rear end going away, found in lungs all this after breaking femur-penetration close to 4ft!!.Cant wait to use it again...

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Should have said-penetration over 4 feet....

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot PWN's 500/416 Krieghoff at our last DRSS hunt. From about 40 yards it put a soft/solid-r/l touching. The rifle has good triggers. The recoil seems more than my 450/400 3 1/4" but less than my 450 No2 which were shot at the same time. If you find a rifle you like in 500/416 I would not hesitate to recommend it. With a scope and 300 grain bullets it would make a great deer, pig, leopard etc rifle. for the bigger stuff you could use 350 grainers, with 400 grains for the BIGGEST.
I do not think it would be much of a problem to get them all hitting close enough together to use the same sight sitting for all of them.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote