THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What is more terrifying than a Cape Buff Charge?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is more terrifying than a Cape Buff Charge?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted
I can name one thing!

Coming home from a perfect day at the beach today, in the BMW with the top down,in the fast lane, doing about 70, and having a fiberglass longboard surfboard fly off the top of a car two cars in front of me with nowhere to go!

It seemed like slow motion as it tumbled in the air and my wife and I looked at each other and said "OH SHIT". It barely missed us and creamed the Suburban behind us in front grille. I could see the headlines clearly "MAN DECAPATATED BY SURFBOARD - FILM AT 11". I've never been as scared it my whole life. M'bogo is gonna be a piece of cake! Jeff [Eek!]

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
22 years ago this coming October 11th, I shot a beautiful 8 pt. whitetail with a bow right at sunset. Until I recovered the buck and got home, it was around 9:00pm. I was so excited when I walked in the house to tell my wife about it, until she came around the corner from the dining room, and gave me"THE LOOK". You married guys know what I mean. Oh, did I forget to mention that it was our 5th wedding anniversary, and my wife had cooked a fabulous dinner, which was now ruined, had the candles burning(which by now were totally burned down), and she was wearing my favority dress? Trust me, I flew 137 combat missions in Nam, and I thought I knew fear. How wrong I was! To this day, I don't hunt or fish on our anniversary. And I really thought she had a sense of humor. [Confused] Give me a Cape Buffalo charge anyday, vs. "THE LOOK". [Eek!] By the way Ngrumba, I'm glad you're alright. [Smile]

[ 07-08-2002, 06:55: Message edited by: mikeh375 ]

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Last Friday I was driving through downtown Atlanta when a piece of wood--I think it was some 2x4, about six inches long--came out of nowhere and hit the windshield, just above my line of sight.

In Atlanta, traffic moves about 70 MPH in the slow lane, and these bozos don't know the meaning of "slow down."

Fortunately the board hit flat and was deflected but it got my immediate attention.

Nearly 20 years ago when I was in the sevice a couple of young fellows who worked for me were coming back to post from a class we had sent them to downtown, and a piece of steel bounced off the back of an old beat-up truck. It was about the size of a brick but maybe half as thick, and it came in the window right at the driver's forehead level. Wrapped around his head and hit the back seat with enough remaining force to bury it in the padding.

He was on life support for a few days until we could get his folks brought in. They pulled the plug and the next year we named a youth recreation center after him.

Guy in the truck never stopped and we never found him.

Just goes to show, the difference between life and death is a nanosecond, and it can happen anytime.

Posts: 1550 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ngrumba, I had a whole sheet of 3/4" sheet rock come off a truck in front of one day and I thought my time had come, but at the last moment the wind caught the sheet, flipped it parallel with the ground and smashed it on the road in front of me. So, I know how you feel. If you;d feel safer driving something besides the little BMW, I think I can help you out. [Big Grin]

Glad you're OK.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two cape buffaloes charging and catching you!

Paul Barnard

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ngrumba:
What is more terrifying than a Cape Buff Charge?

A successful Al Gore / Hillary Clinton campaign in 2004.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:
... the difference between life and death is a nanosecond, and it can happen anytime.

So true, so true.

Never pass up an opportunity to tell someone you care about how you feel. Literally, they may not be around in the next moment.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<John Thompson>
posted
Hey Russ,

Now that's scary! Bring on the Buff anytime.
God help us if the lady with upside down legs is ever more than an irrelevant Senator from NY.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
My ex-wife's mother.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IRS Tax Audit. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Snakes can be about as scary as anything I know of. I'm sure lots of the folks posting on this board have their own experience, and here's mine. Several years ago I was moving some lumber on the job. I picked up one side of a sheet of plywood that was stacked at about shoulder level, only to find a rattler under it. Looked me in the eye while he rattled away and I don't doubt he was going for it. I was so scared that even before I started running, my immediate reaction was to simply turn loose of the plywood!

Worked. And I didn't pick it right back up again either.

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
50 foot wave, with a 10 foot thick lip, when you are so far at sea, it takes binocs to see you.

Three of those, that hold you down for 3 minutes, and 300 yards, then requiring you to swim for an hour, three times around the rip track, to get to the beach.
Oh, you nearly black out and die on the hold downs....
God, I miss those days..
gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another fun moment or two.
One is looking down, and seeing a 25 foot tiger shark, about 8-10 feet around, going under you, at, say, 10 feet. It looks like a submarine, not a small one, either.

Second is being at Kaena Point, surfing 20 foot waves, on a 20 foot, 20 second interval day.
You hear this sound that is similar to a 105 mm cannon, which, since you are close to the firing range, is not that far off base(pun intended).

As you go up on the next swell, you see a 60 foot plus whale, tail walking, and coming down, like a 6 story building crashing. This is the cause of the 105 mm cannon like sound you are hearing.And, she's about a 1/4 mile away, and has company...
ONly witnesses are you, and one, very loyal friend, his girlfriend, and another guy. They miss it from the beach with the camera...

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Mikeh375
I got that look once, mine was when I went trout fishing in a creek that ran through the wifes property. By the time I got back I'd missed Christmas lunch with the whole family [Eek!] Caught some nice fish but [Big Grin]

Bakes

Posts: 7984 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Buffalo don't seem to worry me unduely, as I'm armed properly when in their neck of the bush, and he is easy to place bullets on at close range. What does scare the hell right out of me is, a close charge by a big lion. He is not only as fast as lightening, but hard to hit, and harder to stop in his tracks! [Eek!] I agree, however, My wife can stop "ME" dead in my tracks with those 700 NE Cajun eyes! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
A government trying their hands on a gun free country and taking away all your guns now that's scary ! [Mad]

Safari-Hunt

www.safari-Hunt.com

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1973 Cambodia-VietNam border.

We were in our 'hide' waiting on our objective. They came up on the river and we eliminated the OBJ.

There was not supposed to be any enemy movement in the immediate area, according to M.I.

After the shot, all hell broke loose from our right. There was N.V.A. Regs. I guess some 300m out. They didn't know exactly where the shot came from but they must of been watching the boat as it was comming up, and just let loose a fire storm in our general direction.

We were unable to use our planned getaway route and in a moment of panic, got out and started to run for our lives.

Our guide was the first out and was hit in the head almost immediately. My spotter and I got out about the same time. John was hit after we went about 50 yards, through the chest, and I was hit in the left hand. It flipped me over. He had rolled slightly down a small imbankment and was tangled in vines.

I threw 2 grenades back in their general direction in hopes of slowing them down, thinking we were settled in for a fight. They would have not known at that point how many of us there were.

I threw the bolt out of my rifle as far as I could into the bush. Ran alittle farther and busted the scope on the side of a tree and threw the rifle as far as I could.(I had a pistol with me). In retrospect, I probably should have kept the rifle. Being badly injured and scared, I didn't want the weight and just wanted to RUN!

I ran for approx 2K with my hand pressed tightly against my chest. Found a good hide under a log. Wrapped my hand in a field dressing. I either passed out or fell hard asleep. I had one grenade left and I put it in my harness with the pin out and pistol in my hand.

When I woke up, the pain was undescribable and infection looked like it had set in. It was now raining. Waited for night fall and made my way to a S.F. group who were operating in the area. The rest is recovery.

My career in Law Enforcement in a major metropolitian area had some "exciting times", but nothing to compare with this.

My biggest fear in going to Africa this SEPT. is not BUFF charges, diseases,or snakes, but my 'stuff' not making it to my destination with me.

I may be wrong for dicounting the others, but this is what I fear. My gear stolen.

Sorry for the long post.

All the best to all,

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My greatest fear is that the PH will show up carrying a 45-70.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a Lioness in your blind (hide) not a lot of room, but only for a short time, then she had lots of room.

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
1. Your wife tells you that her mother is moving in with you. [Eek!]
2. The bill from your divorce lawyer. [Eek!] [Eek!]
3. The bill from HER divorce lawyer. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
4. Running into a black mamba

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
HT,

Good to see another San Diegan on the forum...jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More scary than a Buffalo charge?.... My wife with PMS. At least with a Buffalo charge its gonna be over one way or another very soon and I have a chance to shoot back.

PS - Ray, if a lion got in my blind I think it would leave because of the sudden bad smell [Eek!] ....

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my son once asked me what i was most afraid of. my answer was, "God, your mother, and lightning....not necessarily in that order"...cheers...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
<CritrChik>
posted
" Hello, my name is Russell and I'm your blind date for this evening".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam,

Were you the only one who made it out?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
500 Grains, PLEASE ... I'm trying to respond to CitrChik [Big Grin]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains,

Yes, that is correct. I was the only one out of our three that made it out. Oh yea, there was a Chinese General that didn't fare too well either.

I suppose that I owe all an apology. Looks as though this is more on the humerous side. I took it as real terror.

Real fear on a lighter note....you are in the arms of a lady and the door slams and you hear "Honey, I'm home!"
The window you are trying to jump out of has an air conditioner in it. [Big Grin]

You are hiding under a bed and her dad walks in and looks first thing under the bed. I stand up(bed still on me) flip it over on dear ole dad and try to make my escape. See A.C in window above. [Roll Eyes]

I glide to a stop in front of her house so the parents wouldn't hear the straight piped Harley. I am sitting on the side of the bike and she is straddled me. Just doing our good night tidings.
Next thing .....wham, she is gone and dear ole dad(different dad) is standing there pointing a small hand gun in my face! He says,while wearing P.J.'s with spaceships on them. "You tramp, don't mess with my daughter anymore. This gun may make small holes, but it will make alot of them!!! Now get the F--- out of here!!!" [Eek!] (I think he writes for Dirty Harry.) I kicked that mother over and burned out down the street at 3:30 in the morning. I was convinced. I didn't bother to tell him that I was an under cover police officer at the time. I was glad to truck-on.

All true and scared the hell out of me at the time. Will a buff charge be worse? Don't know. I told Mike that I would stand behind him when he is going to shoot, and jump up & down waving my arms. We can start our own sensationalized Safari videos. Will a red towel help?

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote