Tools

ZIM-Stray baboons wreak havoc
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Stray baboons wreak havoc

Beitbridge Reporter
November 16, 2010

A TROOP of stray baboons has descended on Dulibadzimu suburb in Beitbridge where it is reportedly terrorising residents.
Residents who spoke to Chronicle yesterday said the baboons were destroying orchards and ransacking kitchens in search of food.
“We are facing a serious problem of baboons destroying our orchards and gardens and at one time one of the baboons entered my kitchen in search of food and went away with a loaf of bread,” said Mr Dumisani Mudau of Dulibadzimu.
Another resident, Ms Jacqueline Moyo, said: “Baboons are causing havoc. In fact, on Monday last week they arrived at my neighbour’s house where they started rummaging for food.
“The owner of the house fled and alerted other residents and we teamed up and chased them away with the assistance of dogs.”
Mr Jacob Ndou, whose house was also “raided” by a huge male baboon, said:
“I was busy with my household chores when all of a sudden a big baboon jumped onto the rooftop of my house and in the process it damaged one of the roofing sheets.
“We are appealing to the National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority to chip in and assist us by culling these troublesome baboons.”
Cases of stray baboons descending on houses in Dulibadzimu in the border town are not new.
Recently, a male baboon left residents shocked when it entered a house in the high-density suburb where it jumped onto the bed and soiled it.
While inside it extensively damaged a television set, radio and the wardrobe, among other things.
Some brave people got inside the house to scare it off and that is when it eventually leapt out and the people chased it until it disappeared into the bush.
Efforts to contact the spokesperson for the National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (NPWMA), Ms Caroline Washaya-Moyo yesterday were fruitless.
However, a local official from the NPWMA said he was not aware of the latest development, adding that they would investigate.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9415 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote