New
Find
Notify
Tools

hunting vests
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Don't know if this belongs on this forum or not, but I don't like fanny packs, because they make my lower back hurt, and at least to me, day packs are unhandy. I usually don't carry a ton of stuff, but a knife, water, ammo, and cleaningstuff for game. Can anyone suggest a good hunting vest that i can carry these items in? Are the safari vests, like in cabela's any good? I sweat a lot, and want something that is light and tough. Any suggestions appreciated.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a couple of more from Cabelas and the one I had since January I wear almost every day. Can't say how it works in heat but for packing and comfort it's great.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Filson vest are much better than that import crap from Cabela's.To me vest are not as practical as a combat butt pack with suspenders.Find the older ones that are all cotton vs.the nylon ones.They can be configured to your likes and much cheaper then a vest.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have tried one, the Texas safari vest, I think it was called.

But I found I didn't really need it because I just don't carry that much stuff around with me.

Plus I found that particular vest to be just too damned hot and uncomfortable to wear.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out http://www.filson.com
I have a couple of theirs. For Africa be sure you get one that is light weight material, not waxed cotton.
The waxed cotton ones are great for fall in NA.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out http://www.tagsafari.com

They have a couple of shooting vests in addition to a multi pocketed photographers style.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
FWIW, we offer a leather made to measure hunting utility vest which can be made out of your own or our stocks of antelope, buffalo or calf leather. As each one is hand made we can incorporate any special design requirements you might have. The design is similar to a cut away military webbing kit and typically has a variety of zipped and/or poppered pockets large enough for GPS & bino's etc along with two sets of bullet loops.....usually 5 or 6 rounds per side dependant on calibre.

As each one is hand made of good quality leather they're a lot more expensive than the mass produced cotton versions most shops offer - but they are just soooo nice......

Although most of what we sell are orders from our own clients using their own skins we do sell a few items from our own stocks. If you need details, or photographs just send me an e-mail and I'll send it all to you. I'd rather not post pictures and details here as I feel a little like it's abusing Saeed's hospitality.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog

I have to agree with MR. Sadie and I both had vests on our first safari. I wore mine 2 days and Sadie wore her vest a little longer. Way too hot and completely unnecessary. A multi tool and some cartridges is all I ever take plus my rifle. The crew will carry water, camera gear or whatever you like.

Personally I think this safari specific clothing thing is way over rated and kind of a rip-off. The epaulets, million pockets and zippers all over drive me batty. Looking like you stepped out of the pages of Cabela's catolog is not necessary.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark:

I agree that you don't need to look like a Cabelas ad. I personally don't use a vest. I carry my small camera in my pants pocket, my range finder (when needed) in my shirt pocket, binos around neck, with ammo, multi tool and/or knife on a seperate cartridge belt. I also keep one of those 4 round pocket shell holders on me at all times. A bandanna and a pocketfull of hard candy round out my daily gear. The safari crew can carry water,etc.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use and like the Cabales vest, for me it is just enough for the cool mornings and as it gets too hot it can be left on the truck. I don't carry a lot of things in the pockets. When spending an evening at a Leopard blind the pocket on the rear is a great place for a water camel. Ammo, leatherman etc. all fit fine on my ammo belt. My digital camera fits nicely in a cargo pocket of my trousers and my bino (compact) ride nicely in my left shirt pocket. If I decide to take full size bino (I use Optec carrying strap) they ride well in an over the shoulder carry at my side. I also wear the Cabelas safari shirts (long sleeve) and with the handy zipper pockets a great place for passport and cash/travelers checks. As to larger cameras I have a photograpers bag which rides in the truck until time for pictures of the game on the ground and it is there for senic photos while traveling during the day. I don't need photo equipment while stalking as this is hunting time.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The only safari vest I ever liked was the one sold back in the 80s from SCI. It was 100% cotton, thin, but high thread count material. It had loops for 10 rounds of ammo at waist level, 5 on each side! No breast pockets to hang on rifle butts, but had two large cargo pockets at the bottom of each side, and there was no collar. It was worn by me over a T-shirt while hunting in the mornings, and was just enough for walk hunting. Unfortunetly it is no longer made, and though I have long since outgrown mine, I still have it. It wore like iron, and was designed by the founder of SCI Mac, perfectly for the purpose.

Today I use the Cabela's Serengeti shirts (l sleeve) with buttoned rollups. When the day is done, and that long ride in the open Bakki back to camp gets cold, those sleeves are a welcome thing to have! The new TEXAS VEST is, IMO, not only ill designed, but over priced as well. Too bulky, and hot! about the only one that comes close to the one I have is the Cabela's "JOHN RIGBY" vest they sell now, for around $65US !

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I also have toyed with the idea of a safari vest, but once the chill is off mid-morning, I'd rather just go with a long-sleeve shirt.

What may change my mind perhaps is a mesh vest with the following features (for a right-hander): on the left side, a large mid-chest pocket with a diagonal upper-left corner entry big enough for medium-sized binos, and a lower cargo pocket; on the right side, an ultrasuede shooting pad on right shoulder with Sorbothane insert pocket behind it; a pocket just above belt level with elastic shell loops inside and flap closing, and a cargo pocket at the bottom.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Diesn't anybody make a vest with a mesh body like some of the military load bearing vests?

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try these guys....Hydration system included!

http://www.mothertech.net

JW

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
Diesn't anybody make a vest with a mesh body like some of the military load bearing vests?

Try Kevin's or Galazan they have a websites but I don't have them handy. They cater to bird hunters, and many of the dove hunter's vests are mostly mesh, with large cargo pockets for shot shells, a game pocket on the back, and loops for shot shells, that are elastic to handle from 28 ga up to 12 ga. The dove seasons in the south are hot as hell, and a regular bird vest is simply too hot.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Blade Tech makes a mesh hunter's vest designed for big game hunters.

I just had them make some blaze orange mesh survival vests for my pilots and the quality is great. Tim runs a great show there. His PH vest is green and looks like it would be what you are interested in a mesh vest.

Their web site is:

http://www.blade-tech.com/frontend?command=ProductMatri...5840&iSectionId=1002

Good luck.

Mike

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally find vests too hot. I use a cheap fleece for the mornings and then a belt with ammo, knife multi tool and torch on it,gps, ciggies and candy travel in pocket.

day pack carries binos,water,extra ammo, first aid kit, wet wipes and extra batts.

I normally find that a long sleeve shirt with sleeves that roll up are best.

cheers, tm

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote