Find
Notify
Tools

Packing list details
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Doyle Hufstedler
posted
I went hunting last Wednesday in central Texas. I started with a long sleeve t-shirt, flannel shirt and lined canvas coat and gloves. By noon I was down to the t shirt. I was wondering about what kind of coat to tale to Africa. I wonder if conditions are similar
If hunting in RSA Northern Province in early June exactly what kind of the following would you take for warm clothing.
• Warm Jacket
• Sweater
• Gortex-type rain suit
• Gloves
Thanks
Doyle

"He must go -- go -- go away from here!
On the other side the world he's overdue.
'Send your road is clear before you when the old Spring-fret comes o'er you,
And the Red Gods call for you!"
Rudyard Kipling - 1887 - The Feet Of The Young Men

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Doyle,

Take a look at T. Carr's packing list on the Hunting Reports forum.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
It will be cold in the mornings and evenings, so a jacket, gloves and watch cap would be required.

A sweater or fleece vest would be nice, but not mandatory. Take one if you have room. It' nice to have something less bulky than a jacket to wear at dinner.

Probably only a slight chance you will need a rain jacket at that time of year. I wouldn't mess with rain pants at all.

Pietersburg Weather

I only took a fleece jacket on a previous safari in August in the Northern Province and froze to death.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doyle Hufstedler
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry
The weather data is very helpful. Much better than it gets cold in the mornings.
I have at least four generations of your list’s, also harries and a couple of others. I have distilled them into my own list. My list now has become a question extractor as I get into details.
What kind of coat?
Green or red underwear?
The 375 or the 350?
The details are going to be great fun.
The vest is a great comment I have one I use a great deal the freedom of movement it is now for sure going. What type of jacket still puzzles me? I have plenty of time to work it out however as we will not travel until 2006

Doyle

"He must go -- go -- go away from here!
On the other side the world he's overdue.
'Send your road is clear before you when the old Spring-fret comes o'er you,
And the Red Gods call for you!"
Rudyard Kipling - 1887 - The Feet Of The Young Men

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Doyle,

If you take your vest then take a lighter jacket and you can layer.

I have a dark khaki colored cotton jacket (with a thin fleece lining) that I take along with my olive-colored fleece vest. I think I paid $20.00 for that jacket on Sportsman's Guide about 7 years ago.

If it's really cold, I just ride up front in the cab until it warms up.

I usually buy a cheap pair of gloves and a few extra watch caps. I give the watch caps to the trackers and leave my gloves at the end of the safari. Never met an African that had enough warm clothes. I've seen those trackers wear watch caps when it was 80F.

Regards,

Terry

P.S.
Here's the link to Weather Data for RSA. See if there is a town listed that is close to where you will be hunting. I just picked Pietersburg because it is the largest city in the Northern Province.

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote