THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Any field reports on the new 500 grain .45 cal Hornady solids?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any field reports on the new 500 grain .45 cal Hornady solids?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Planning to load them for my new .458 Win. Would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Fred

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I recovered one that was fired into the face of a buffalo at 8 steps. It was basically perfect. Looked as if it could have been reloaded and fired again.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Shot three into an elephant cow.
1. Shoot through brain shot. Classic rear leg crumple and elephant landed upright.
2. Back up shot through heart and bullet exited far side.
3. Second back up shot through heart and found against skin on far side, picture below.

Picture mades bullet look a bit bent, but is not. These were from Hornady factory ammo,

Also shot buffalo multiple times with all being shoot throughs.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Just bought a custom .458 Win from dirklawyer and he sent me 98 Hornady solids to go with it, along with a lot of other stuff. I feel very good about using that bullet. (dl's a great guy to do business with, BTW.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be trying them out on elephants in a few days.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good hunting. Looking forward to your report.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of boxes of the old fmj Hornady solids in 458cal and 500grs.I heard that, because of their shape,they penetrate deeper than other solids including monometals.A forum member was surprised to see how well they penetrated in his well done penetration tests.I may use them for buff on my next trip.They should work great in my lott with their super sectional density and give me penetration as good as or better than some larger cartridges! I found them at a great price too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I will be using the new DGX and DGS bullets in the venerable .404 Jeff on buff in a couple of weeks. I look forward to testing the factory Hornady loadings. I have had solid reports on the bullets from Ivan and it is good to see from the reports here that the solids perform well. Anxious to see if the softs do also. I feel strongly about supporting a company that makes great DG ammo in a number of calibers at a reasonable price!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back yesterday from Zim and used them on elephant and giraffe. One exited the elephant from a side brain shot and I recovered one from a frontal (third) shot on giraffe. The first two were softs broadside. It looked exactly like the one posted above.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have five of the old ones loaded up for my .375 but haven't shot any, since I have so few.

Since I have a big batch of the new ones, it's good to hear they are doing well. Thnaks, everyone.