New
Find
Notify
Tools

Length of Forend for DGR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am trying to determine the length of the forend for a stock I'm working on. It will go on a 375 H&H Winchester.

I am going for a classic English look, with a short forend.

Anyone have any pictures of rifles with shorter forends? And associated measurements?

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have always been curious as to WHY the English put such a short forearm on their rifle stocks. Is there a real reason or is it just because that is what they have always done. Everyone has their own esthetic values, none better than others. That old saw about beauty being in the eye of the beholder probably does apply but I am curious as to WHY the short forearm started.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An English forend should be 8.5 to 9 inches in length measured from the front action ring...The short forend is because the barrel band swivel should be at 10.5 to 11 inches ahead of the forend or two inches in front fo the forend...

The only reason the US forends are longer is because the front swivel is in the forearm itself...

I don't know many folks that have arms so long that they that need all that extra wood sticking out in front of the action, but that is only my idea of what a stock should look like and I much prefer the feel and pointability of the English guns, especially in big bores..To each his own and thankfully we have a choice.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's what Ray is talking about. The stock template is an old Rigby .350 Magnum. This rifle is a Dakota 76 in .375 H&H. NOTE: that the stock cracked and a brilliant job of invisible repair included a bit of glass bedding where the recoil lug meets the wood.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray and Tim, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I love the lines on that rifle!

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JC375
posted Hide Post
Great rifle Tim! Would you give some details on who built it and who did the repair work. Sorry for the minor hijack. Great question wish I would have ask it my self. J.C.

Posts: 102 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I believe the short thin forend on bolt rifles made in England, is simply a carry over from the splinter forend of the doubles, both shotguns, and rifles! It is simply a matter of style of a country, just like the ugly California style stocks of the bolt rifles of the fifties,and still used on Weatherbys, and the Beavertail forends on double shotguns from the USA! A matter of taste, or lack there of, depending on your point of view! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JC375:
Great rifle Tim! Would you give some details on who built it and who did the repair work. Sorry for the minor hijack. Great question wish I would have ask it my self. J.C.

JC,

Dakota action/Lilja barrel with NECG sights and trap grip cap for spare foresight were married by the stockmaker at Bernie Laubser's shop in Paarl, not far from Cape Town. I ran the rifle through the London proof house to get the right stamps on the barrel of this classic Brit caliber.

Boone Berlin did the crack repair and bedding. He lives a few hundred yards from engraver Ken Hurst in Robersonville, NC (910)220-3332.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice left hand rifle.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Thanks. Looks as if it gave TradermarkTex an answer.

Reckon I'll be putting in in the Classifieds next month once I do some due diligence on value and take more pix...

Regards, Tim

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ran the rifle through the London proof house to get the right stamps on the barrel of this classic Brit caliber.

Now I have heard of everything! That has got to be the coolest thing I have read on this forum in a long time. Beautiful.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
I ran the rifle through the London proof house to get the right stamps on the barrel of this classic Brit caliber.

Now I have heard of everything! That has got to be the coolest thing I have read on this forum in a long time. Beautiful.

Jason

Jason,

Thanks. Not hard to do even with my minimal UK gun contacts.

Regards, Tim