THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: BOOK by Brian Herne "White Hunters ....."

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: BOOK by Brian Herne "White Hunters ....."
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Thanks for all the great info.

I think I will get it. I like facts and dates

In Denmark the book is $30

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I think it was interesting. I think if you keep in mind the type of writing and mindset of the time period when much of it was compiled or the older articles it was drawn from it is well done. Things were definitely different back then.

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of the book on tape.

I've been through it a couple of times. Some parts are dry, but there are enough amazing stories to keep it interesting, like lions being killed on the streets of Nairobi.

I can't imagine the amount of research it took to produce such a detailed history of Professional Hunters.

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I liked White Hunters and think it is well worth 30$. It can�t be compared to Ruark as it is historical and not a biography. You might try checking amazon.com for a used book.

Anybody read Peter Beard? The End of the Game is great and so is the book on crocs, Eyelids of morning. Not typical africania but good reading.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read "White Hunters" and enjoyed it immensely. The reason I enjoyed it so much is because it gave you a realistic look into the past and into how professional hunting developed into what we have today. In addition, the astute reader will see why we treat dangerous game the way we do. The text is replete with incident after incident where the hunter was either killed or severely injured when he became too cavalier and familiar around these animals.

I have also read " The End Of The Game" by Peter Beard. I consider this a classic and a "must read" for anyone remotely interested in African hunting or the African elephant. The pictures alone are worth the cost of the book.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote