New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meds for Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Besides the normal inoculations what other meds do you guys take with you to Africa in case of problems on your trip?

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elkfitter,

If I recall you are planning a trip to RSA. Nothing too weird there to plan for, and the PHs can get you to a pharmacy or doc if needs be. The following has served me, and clients quite well.

Vicodin or Lortab
Flexiril
Cipro or Doxy

Vicodin or lortabs for pain from an issue
Flexiril for muscle pulls, etc.
Cipro or Doxy for a broad spectrum antibiotic

If you have an allergy, (and i have one to kudu dander (DAMNIT!)), make sure you're packing an antihistamine, too. After handling dozens of the beasts with no issues I didn't bring my allergy drugs with me in 2006. Wrong move. Two hours to the clinic, two shots, and then a LONG sleep. It could have been the long dirt nap.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Immodium

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You might like to check 2nd and 3rd links at the bottom of this page: http://www.shakariconnection.c...can-hunt-health.html

Hope that helps

One of Us
posted Hide Post
doxy for malaria & tick fever, asprin, advil etc, calomine lotion (great for itchy fly bites) antibiotic cream (cuts bites etc) afterbite (bug bites) band aids & gauze, an ace bandage or 2 for sprains + what nkonka gave you already, lot depends on where you're going

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have stated I will be in a Malaria free area of Namibia. Five hours north of Windhoek. Looking at the map it seems quite a ways to a pharmacy.

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I take malerone, cipro, doxyclcline, immodium, tums, bandaids the fabric ones (large size).. sun block, benedryl pills & cream for any allergic reaction, triple antibotic,
Paper with any allergys listed to have available... Global rescue numbers handy..
spray clothes with perrythin spray pants and roll up and shirts kill ticks if they get on and it last for many days...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Perfect. Sounds very similar to my list, Mike.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I take malerone, cipro, doxyclcline, immodium, tums, bandaids the fabric ones (large size).. sun block, benedryl pills & cream for any allergic reaction, triple antibotic,
Paper with any allergys listed to have available... Global rescue numbers handy..

Mike

similar to my usuals, but add small tweezers or tick removal kit and super glue

best meds to take is good quality wisky Big Grin

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
One other thing to add is a steroidal eye drop. It's really easy to catch a stick in the eye, and a good steroidal eye drop can be the difference between saving your sight or going blind. Fortunately/unfortunately, I've had first hand experience with this. Having the drops saved my vision in my left eye.

Depending on the country, bring a couple of syringes and clean needles isn't a bad idea either.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to be careful using a steroid in the eye in a traumatic injury. It can spread infection very qucikly. A good antibiotic drop is a very good thing.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
All of the above are important. And sometimes it's the little things that can put a damper on a trip. Take sunscreen and use it, otherwise take a burn cream for the aftermath. If you're like me, you'll also want lip protection with sunscreen. I didn't use it on my last trip, so my lips look kinda funky in the last few of my trophy pictures. And they hurt worse than they looked. Also, a good blister kit for your feet is nice to have, just in case. And a sleep aid like melatonin can be useful on the plane and can help you adjust to the time change if that's ever a problem.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RR4hunt
posted Hide Post
Elkfitter, how close are you hunting to Etosha Park as they advise to take malaria meds if you are visiting the park, 5 hours north sounds pretty close.

Posts: 43 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I usually take larium for my malaria prophylaxis (after tick-bite fever last year I'm probably going to switch to doxy), a broad spectrum antibiotic (cipro or bactrim), benadryl, neosporin, melatonin, a hand sanitizer lotion, ibuprofen, immodium, prilosec, chapstick, and a laxative. Everyone seems to think about traveler's diarrhea, but I got constipated on my first trip.

I also take ace bandages, bandaids, tweezers, nail clippers, and I was planning to take a skin stapler with me last time.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cable68:
I usually take larium for my malaria prophylaxis (after tick-bite fever last year I'm probably going to switch to doxy),

Just be aware that teracyclines are known for inducing sun sensitivity. You may be much more likely to sunburn while taking Doxy.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RR I will be visiting Etosha 1st of June so I was hoping no skeeters then.

One of Us
Picture of RR4hunt
posted Hide Post
Elkfitter, where are you hunting? In May is'nt Namibia still greenish any lying water?

If you never make a career choice based on money, you'll always have money - Jerry Seinfeld

Posts: 43 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have taken a Cardiologist on a couple of safaris. Used him in Zambia to 3x stitch my scope bite when I decided the only way to get my Lion was to fire my .458Lott from the prone position, knowing I would suffer the consequences.

A couple of sterile syringes with different sized needles (get a written script and put it with the syringes as they are illegal to possess in most of the U.S.) for use if you must be hospitalized in a local clinic facility prior to evacuation to a major hospital, a skin stapler, some butterfly bandages, a morphine pain killer in addition to the Vicodin mentioned previously, Cipro antibiotic - you may need this if you get a serious intestinal problem as well, and everything mentioned in prior posts.

This is for hunting in the bush, where you are chartered in by small plane and then drive a few hours to camp. Try to envision what you'll need or want after being hit by a Leopard and how long it's gonna take to get you out to an intermediate medical facility. I always figure two days to get out.

I strongly suggest you locate a M.D. who has spent time in 3rd world countries and preferably one who is a hunter. Discuss the issue with him in some depth. If you cannot find such a person, present your personal physician with some of the possible scenarios and ask them what they would want for themselves or members of their families.

Remember it isn't the clawing and biting that kills most people, it is the infection caused by the putrid and rotten flesh under the claws and in the teeth of the cat that is the real problem.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
Based on the advice I have been given,I think LionHunter is on target. One thing my MD emphasized to me is the need for a serious pain killer and "quick clot" (for serious wounds) when in remote areas. These are items that can be non existent in any remote area, including here in the USA. Most of the other stuff you need can be had in a kit form from several sources, mine came from Wilderness Medical Systems, a tad expensive but good quality. We have had ours for quite a while, take it when we travel most anywhere, we have never had to use it on ourselves, but it has helped others. A drug store kit that is plenty good enough when you can jump in the car and run to the pharmacy, or emergency room, isn't very reassuring when you are a 3 or 4 hour drive to even mediocre help.

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
JPenn +1 on Quik-Clot!!

This is what our troops have been using for the past few years. Helps stop the bleeding from traumatic wounds. I completely forgot about it. I got mine about 2003 and it stays in my hunting backpack.

Z-Medica: www.z-medica.com

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not exactly medical, but take some Sawyer tick repellent with you and use it. Prevention is worth more than meds.

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UV protection clear shooting class!
Put 'em on before I got on the truck, only took them off for pictures!
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
super glue can be a real trip saver. last year in Moz. i laid my foot open on a tent peg while wearing flip flops in camp. luckily i had taken a few tubes of Dermabond( a medical grade of super glue) to give to the PH for his first aid kit. i washed the wound out with Betadine that he had, glued the wound edges together, taped the 2 toes involved together, and hunted the next 4 days in river mud and muck with no problems. regular super glue will work just as well as long as you wash the wound out well with antiseptic. without the Dermabond, i would have needed a bush flight out to the nearest clinic and about a dozen stitches.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
JPenn +1 on Quik-Clot!!

This is what our troops have been using for the past few years. Helps stop the bleeding from traumatic wounds. I completely forgot about it. I got mine about 2003 and it stays in my hunting backpack.

Z-Medica: www.z-medica.com

Thanks for the link on Quick Clot LH!

I developed brochitis on my trip to Namibia, last year........I had two repeats of broad spectrum anti-biotic and had used them all by the time the hunt was finished.

Point being if you take antibiotics with you, take enough..............

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkfitter:
Besides the normal inoculations what other meds do you guys take with you to Africa in case of problems on your trip?

Hello elkfitter,

Cipro goes with me every time I travel to the tropics. Have never had to use it anywhere but Namibia which comparatively speaking, is less festooned with disease than other places I have been to, especially Central & South America. When I had to take it, I was suffering a raging respiratory infection that was also fast moving. I figure I picked it up in the States or on the plane, not in Namibia itself. When I landed in Windhoek I was already feeling pretty sick.

The cipro knocked it right out. I later experienced painful (and visible) cysts on some of my tendons. Turns out Cipro is known to cause cysts in some unlucky folks. I can only presume mine were from same. I still carry it for similar emergencies but am always listening for suggestions on some other antibiotic that is both powerful but with less side affects.

Malaria tablets are semi-specific to the malaria zone you plan to visit but no doubt your doctor will prescribe correctly on that.

If you can stand the advice of this wretched beginner, in my personal experience, Windhoek Lager is quite safe to drink.

Best Regards,
Ard.

Posts: 68 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great tips.

ARD, I prefer Tafel but Windhoek Lager is second

one of us
posted Hide Post
My dentist recommends oil of clove for tooth pain.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yel...okCh2-HealthKit.aspx

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkfitter:
Thanks for all the great tips.

ARD, I prefer Tafel but Windhoek Lager is second

Tafel wins hands down EF!! thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also recommended is getting a dental checkup a couple of months prior to the trip...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
All the above plus moleskin and/or duct tape for the feet.

Was Neosporin listed above? Last year I skinned my knee open on the floor of the skinning shed (about the most septic place on earth). I washed it out (after a couple of sundowners first), lathered it with Neosporin and had no worries.....

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
elkfitter and Blair338/378,

I swear on a stack of Outdoor Magazines to hoist a cold Tafel or two in your good names next time. (Which I hope is not long off).

Keep Well.
Ard.

Posts: 68 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the above is good info.

I also take benadryl, as well as my own needles, sutures, IV's etc.

I also take a STRONG painkiller.

I recommend you see a Doctor that knows something about African travel.

Take anything that you think you might need, from a splinter to a GSW [gunshot wound].

Take some antiacids as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
after looking over these lists, i would suggest another suitcase if you intend to take it all.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well after that list.... hmmm uh..... i would only take, head ache tablets and some sort of heartburn medication - the rest of the stuff your outfitter will have in camp - hope so...

If you enjoy GT take plenty of it!!!! maybe get some brandy from the local guys, it keeps the mozzies and makes for interesting campfire discussions.

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by .458Aubs:
well after that list.... hmmm uh..... i would only take, head ache tablets and some sort of heartburn medication - the rest of the stuff your outfitter will have in camp - hope so...
bsflag
You can HOPE all you want, but the truth is that most HO 1st Aid kits leave lots to be desired, in my experience. Ask to look at one sometime; a triple antibiotic creme and some aspirin if you're lucky and the later in the season, the less there will be. There is only one person responsible for your welfare and that's you.

I take almost everything mentioned above, packed in two small shaving kits. And I usually leave most of the meds with the PH to treat his staff and any locals, because he can't get them. Every PH should carry Qwik-Clot but most don't even know what it is, yet it should always be in the field with a client, not in the truck or back at camp.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

spray clothes with perrythin spray pants and roll up and shirts kill ticks if they get on and it last for many days... Mike

Say WHAT? Do you by any chance, mean PYRETHRIN? WHY roll up pants? Do you mean also roll up shirts? If I understand, NEVER ASSUME NOTHIN', where your personal health is concerned?

Am I correct? Trusting your PH's medical knowledge and medicine chest may get you very sick or dead.
Or, do I overstate the case?

Posts: 117 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C.C.:
quote:

spray clothes with perrythin spray pants and roll up and shirts kill ticks if they get on and it last for many days... Mike

Say WHAT? Do you by any chance, mean PYRETHRIN?

No, actually it's permethrin - a contact insecticide spray for treating clothing marketed in the US by Sawyer.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote