THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Leaving for Family Safari with Wintershoek/Johnny Vivier Safaris + PH Mark DeWet

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaving for Family Safari with Wintershoek/Johnny Vivier Safaris + PH Mark DeWet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted
Well guys, the grand compromise continues to work its magic: Alternating dangerous game hunts accompanied by just the wife one year, and doing a plains game safari that includes our now ten-year old son Alexander the next. Some of you may remember that 'Bwana Alex' had a spectacular first safari in Namibia three years ago, taking several biggame trophies at age seven! (HUNT REPORT: Family Hunting Safari in Namibia w/ Omujeve Safaris). This year he has black wildebeest and kudu on his wishlist and, coupled with his new Winchester M70 in 7mm-08 (and some Remington reduced recoil rounds), he couldn't be more excited.

So next month the family heads off, only this time to Wintershoek/Johnny Vivier Safaris in South Africa. We'll be hunting at three different camps/lodges ranging from the Kimberley area in Central SA to the Northern Cape, including Thuru, Wag 'n Bietjie, and a sister property in Colesburg where some culling opportunities will make the trip even more affordable. And as a bonus, old friend and my first PH, Mark DeWet, will be joining us for the entire safari. (Last time we saw Mark in Africa we were hunting elephant with Buzz Charlton when, incredibly, we bumped into Mark and his clients - including AR's own Die Ou Jagter - on a lonely road near Dande North.)

Making this South African hunt even more special is that we convinced a neighbor to bring his wife and two boys along as well. While he is an accomplished hunter here in the States, this will be his first safari – and the boys' first real exposure to hunting. Mark and the team at Wintershoek are going to provide all three boys a 'Safari School'; in the field and each evening after dinner they will receive a class on safari basics, with topics that include:

• Firearms safety
    • Recommended weapons and ammunition for various animals (including dangerous game – got to get the boys ready for the future)
    • Sighting in rifles at the range
    • Compensating for distance and wind
    • Shooting from two- and three-poled shooting sticks
    • Safari clothing and equipment
    • Hazards of safari (e.g., heat, terrain, insects, snakes, dangerous game, etc.)
    • Tracking and stalking
    • Shot placement
    • Field safety
    • Back-up shots (e.g., not ‘admiring’ the first shot)
    • Approaching downed game
    • Photography recommendations for both trophies and general interest
    • Etiquette on safari (e.g., respect for trackers and other team members, respect for the game, cultural insights regarding native Africans)
    • Field dressing game and trophy prep, etc.

Mark is ideally suited to this kind of program, having decades of experience throughout Africa, along with being one of the most respected PH's on the continent. It was Mark's professionalism and personality that helped make an African hunter out of my wife, and I have no doubt he will make a huge impression on the boys, too.

I also hope to have some of the native staff participate in several of these classes and relate some of their peoples' history and how they became great trackers and hunters. At the conclusion of the safari, each of the boys will receive a certificate signed by Mark and Johnny Vivier along with the other staff PH's. We hope this will help build both a passion and a solid foundation for a lifetime of respectful and ethical hunting - in both Africa and elsewhere.

On my return I will post a hunt report. In the meantime I'd love to hear from any of you who have hunted any of these areas and what your impression was - plus any suggestions you may have.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me be one of the first to say GOOD LUCK & GOOD HUNTING.
Sounds like an excellent plan.
These young men will remember this for all of their days.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim Claudia and Alex!

Have a fanatstic time guys! I know with Mark that goes without saying!

Ps Kim I have had a whole lot of fun with that "Cobra" you gave me right from customs in Harare who got such a fright when they opened my bag that they forgot to search the rest of it!!!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just heard from Mark this morning, I know you will have a great time with him. I have hunted with Mark on 8 Safaries and like Kim he was my first PH. Cheers.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip. I am so looking forward to taking my whole family over next year. Wish you the best...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am excited for y'all. I am taking my son over next year for his first Safari. Best of luck...

Posts: 1824 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Kim have a super time with family.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. We're all super excited to be going back to Africa. (And in 2013, it's back again with Buzz & Co. with leopard on the menu!)

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Have a great trip. I am so looking forward to taking my whole family over next year. Wish you the best...

So Tim, come next year, where are you taking the family?

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Johnny is a total gas. Tell him his "lawyer" from Vegas says hi.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great plan - have a fun trip, Kim. I look forward to reading your report.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote