New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binoculars Swarovski vs. Khales
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I currently have Khales 8x32's. My friend is selling his Swarovski 10x42SLC's,and I am thinking about buying them.I have heard so much about Swarovski's quality,and I am looking for some of your comments on both before I make a decision. The Swarovski's are twice the price of the Khales in most catalogs...are they TWICE as good in terms of clarity, color, and brightness? I welcome your feedback.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't compare the 10X42SLC to the Khales because I've never used Khales before. The Swarovskis are serious clear glass. If I had anything negative to say about mine is that they are heavy. For the money I think I'd perfer a pair of Leica 8X32BN. Great glass moderate weight.

I like my 10X42's just fine but I find myself not carrying them because of their size and weight more often than not.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I can't compare the 10X42SLC to the Khales because I've never used Khales before. The Swarovskis are serious clear glass. If I had anything negative to say about mine is that they are heavy. For the money I think I'd perfer a pair of Leica 8X32BN. Great glass moderate weight.

I like my 10X42's just fine but I find myself not carrying them because of their size and weight more often than not.

Ditto. I have the Swaros. Great for plains game when you spend most of the time in the vehicle. Too big and heavy for buffalo and elephant hunting, IMHO.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have the Swaro 10x42's, great for serious long term glassing. I picked up what I find to be the ultimate "stalking" glass, the compact 8x40 Swaros, small, quiet and easy to use. Perfect for sneaking and peaking. Most of the time on guided hunts on the final approach the guide doesn't want you walking and glassing, he wants you concentrating on the shot. So depending on what you intend to use them for you might be ahead to buy a smaller body unit.............JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm running up in years and I carry Swarovski 10x42's while hunting everything. I really prefer my 10x50's but they ARE heavy. I have used the 10x42's for the last6 years in Africa and really find them to be great.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kales binocs are essentially as goood as the SLC's. The difference will have more to do with how much you want the increased magnification. If you really want an upgrade, buy the new 8X32 Leica Ultravids. I had an old pair of 7X42 Leica Trinovids. I just had to have 10X42s so i bought a pair of Leicas and they weighed 31 ozs. Great binocs but I wished I had my old ones back. I traded them in on a new pair of Leiva 10X42 Ultravid that are 27 ozs. They have unbelievable glass. Very comparable to the Swarovski EL's.
Don't sell what you have until you have used the 10X42 on a walking hunt .

Sprig

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I went binocular shopping a few years ago I went to Sportsmans Warehouse. They had Swaros, Leica, Khales and numerous other brands. I took a pair of each and went out side to see how I liked them. The Khales gave me the best view. They are very clear and the color was most natural. So I bought the 10X42's. I haven't regreted it yet. They are lighter then the Swaros but still a little heavy for long walks esp. when hanging from your neck. They also sometimes get in the way when quickly mounting a rifle. I also have a pair of Leica 8X20 Trinovids that I prefer to carry when in thick bushveld or jess. They are of no weight and I can slip them into my left shirt breast pocket for the final approach to elephant or buff. They don't get in the way when mounting my rifle. Grab a bunch and go outside and see which brand is most comfortable for your eyes.

465H&H

"Landa enne!"

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica "Geovid" 8 x 42 laser range finding binos...the new '05 model.

Extensively field tested this year and found to be the undisputed best overall "hunting" glass on the market today.

Got rid of my Swarovs, Steiners (Perigrines).

Anybody dare to dspute!

JW

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
If I lost all of my hunting gear and had to start over, I think the first thing I would buy would be some more Swarovski 10x42s. I use them here at home so often and am amazed at their clarity and light gathering ability. So often while deer hunting late in the day, the only problem I have with my binocs is that I almost don't know when to quit. I can sit there at a time when most hunters have long left their stands and still watch deer at night that are in fields or patches 100 or more yards away.
Until about 5 years ago I had Leopold scopes on my rifles. Great scopes. After getting my Swarovski binocs, however, and started seeing deer late that were "gone" when I tried to see them with my rifle scopes, I finally realized I had a mismatch in my optics. I've since switched all of my rifles to Swarovski scopes to match the light gathering ability of my binocs.
All of that said, one of the best features of Swarovski is their customer service. If you have any problems at all they will repair things for free.
From what I've seen, Swarovski makes good products.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swarovski is a great company...I agree!

But, give those "all in one" Leica's a try before you jump off!

While guiding this year, these proved to be invaluable to my clients! We were able to find, range and take game more effectively with the bino-rangefinder combo.

My .02,

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanted a good pair of binoculars for a lot of years. Now I am going on my first safari and had the perfect excuse to finally get a pair.

I tried the Leicas and Swarovskis at Sportsmans Warehouse and much prefered the Swaro... much against my expectations! I ended up getting the 10x42 EL's and can say without a doubt that I got the perfect pair for me.

I am a Leupold fan for riflescopes; all my scopes are Leupold... I went out prairie doggin' last fall, the first time with the new Swaro binos, and the first time I looked through my Leupold scope after glassin' with the Swaro binos, I was amazed at the difference... looked like I was looking thru a Coke bottle...

I wish I could give you a comparison to the Kahles, as you asked for, but this is my experience. I hope it helps a little with your decision.

FIre Support Team

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I can see where some binocs that have a built in range finder would be very convenient. I don't think, however, a range finder is needed in Africa. Your PH should be able to handle that, not to mention the fact that most shots will be within 100 yards.
I do have a Leica 1200 Rangefinder and think it's awesome, but when heading to Africa, it stays home.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgar:
The Swarovski's are twice the price of the Khales in most catalogs...are they TWICE as good in terms of clarity, color, and brightness? I welcome your feedback.

Wolfgar, the short answer is NO. They are not TWICE as good. But they are better. Depends how much you are willing to pay for the difference in quality. If you expect them to be doubly good, you will be disappointed.

I have a pair of Swaro 10x42 EL's. I love 'em. Sold a pair of 10x42 SLC's to get the EL's. I think they are worth it, but I don't think everyone would agree. I have compared the EL's and SLC's head to head in the field many times and the difference in quality is NOT directly proportional to the difference in price. But when you get to the high end of any product it never is. Compare the $ of a 50" plasma TV and a comparable 50" LCD TV. Most people can't justify paying double for the plasma, but some do. Depends on your priorities.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I most certainlly agree with respects to the PH's ability and inside the 100 yds. ranges.

However, do you want to miss that 60+ Kudu 'cause he was at 405 yds. versus the "estimated 350"? That's a difference in bullet drop of over 8" on a .300 Win Mag with 180s! I'm one for knowing exact ranges.

Rangefinders are cheap insurance and are excellent conservation tools. We require all of our guides to use them. Combine the aspects of a set of binos and an RF and you've got a measured increase in the degree of possible success on your side. Wounded animals suck, period!

Those ELs you have - hard to beat for straight binos though!

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use them here at home so often and am amazed at their clarity and light gathering ability.

Tell us more about this "light gathering ability". I understand how light transmission works but am unfamiliar how "light gathering works". Is this something new?

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
if I remember correctly that particluar model of the SLC only comes with 14mm of eyerelief, way too short for me, don't know if that is an issue to you or not. I think the jap binocs are as good or better than the SLC models. If you are dropping some serious coin for binocs just go ahead bite the bullet and get the 8.5x42 EL's and know you have the best or better yet get the 8x geovids.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cowboy...amen on the 8x Geovid!

I used them full-time this past Mulie season. What a relief...10xs wear you out when looking through them all day!

Jeff

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Since this reportedly Smiler the Africa Forum, all you will ever need are the 8x30 SLC Swarovski's. Lightweight and good glass. My everyday is the 10x32EL's, which weigh less than my 8x30's and have the biggest field of view (bigger and lighter than the 8x32 EL's!).

10x42's make good boat anchors!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 7x30, 8x30 and 10x42 Swaro's. All are great, but I like the smaller ones the best for hike/hunting. The 10x are a bit heavy but are great for still hunting or birding.

I have owned several types of bino's. My choice was predicated on what I could see the best through. Swaro's work best for me. I do not like Zeiss as I cannot see out of them as well.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar,

I use the Swaro 10 x 42 EL, before that the 10 x 42 SLC, and last year bought from Ray a used pair of Kahles 8 x 42's, for my wife (or maybe for me,who knows?).

There is definitely a difference, but it is NOT in direct proportion to the price.If you really know what to look for in quality glass, the difference is there, and hard to miss.Most people, including myself, would be happy with either.I am also happy to have the better EL's. My wife doesn't know the difference.

I wouldn't pay double to upgrade, but would definitely put some cash with the Kahles and trade.

Adios
Sonny

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys.Do you have any idea who I can sell the Khales to, such as SWFA etc?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgar:
Thanks for the replys.Do you have any idea who I can sell the Khales to, such as SWFA etc?

If you don't need them, I'd go straight to ebay...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you think is a fair price, like new in box, all accessories, box, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep the Binos...Everybody needs at least one spare set!

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
High end and middle end optics are a lot closer together than most realize. I bet that while they won't be twice as good as the Kahles they will be better. It depends on how much you use them. I live on a nude beach in Spain so my Swarovski EL binoculars get quite a work out (so to speak). I also try to hunt at least 30 days a year.

The SLCs are great. I had a pair of 7x42s, and they are high quality stuff. The 8.5x42 ELs I have now are quite a bit better, but not twice as good.

The higher you go up the more money it takes to make it better.

I would wait to get into the SLCs unless I got them for $650 or less.

Posts: 228 | Location: Spain Jerez (Cadiz) | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
kokdyer: If I live where you do, I'd own the Hubbel Telescope Smiler jorge

PS: can I come visit? I remember going to one of those beaches in Palma on the many cruises I made on aricraft carriers. Man, all I can say is that you Teutonic and nordic types have that gene pool down to a beautiful science when it comes to ALL those large breasted blondes I saw on the beach. Good job!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Not too sure that I would buy them. SWFA wouldn't buy them from you unless they got them for nothing.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the SLC's for $500, how could I say no to that? I'm going to get the winged eyecups too. Do you fellas like the e-cups? I really do love the Khales, but I need get back some cash or I would have loved to keep them too. Any bidders???

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only difference in Kahles and Swaroskis is the Kahles have a SS body and Swaroskis have aluminum and the outter coating is a different color..and this came from the horses mouth......

both are very good glass, but I wouldn't trade one for the other either way...I have used both and liked them both very much....

These days I'm a Leica fan...MY 8x30 Leicas are the perfect all around glass IMO....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's because the Swar are more expensive, but it seems that they are a bit clearer and brighter than the Khales. Maybe it's me?

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
The Austrian Swarovski and Karl Kahles binoculares and scopes are made by the same company.
The lenses comes most probably from Hungary or the Czech Republik (other fine things also comes from these countries like Tokaji wine and Tonak Fezes.thumb

Swarovski are more expensive and has maybe a little bit better quality, but I would say that it is very hard to notice if they are worth it....
I have one Swarovski 1.5-6x42 scope in claw mount on a 9,3x62 Husqvarna rifle and a Karl Khales 1.5-6x42 scope on a Robert Hübner 9,3x74R/16/16 drilling.

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you think is a fair price for the Khales for me to sell to a friend? I have someone who might want them. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
If he is your friend knock 30%-40% off current factory retail. If not then 20% of factory, if they are in perfect shape.

If you have any scratches on the lenses you need to subtract quite a bit more. Big external scratches even more.

I would say $250-450 is probably fair.

They will last a lifetime if properly taken care of.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to e-bay and there is a place where you can enter the type of item and do a search and you can see what they sold for the last time they were on the auction. That will give you an idea what the market will bear.

Sprig

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote