New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Flight Suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am flying Dullas - Heathrow - Joberg - Windhoek. You have a 11 hr layover in England going but only a couple on the return flight, but the package is cheaper and you fly 747, 747, 737, 737, 747 and 777 on the various legs.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Saeed about the Emirates route a few years ago and the problem with the layover was the rifles. I don't recall the details now as too much time has lapsed but the result was that it was to much of a problem to do it.

Maybe things have been changed to allow this with some sort of overnight firearm storage with the airline? If so then that may be a decent option.

When I leave from the Seattle Airport and fly through Atlanta my distance travelled is just about 12,000 miles. Or 1/2 way around the earth. I can't help but wonder about going the other way through Australia or NZ, at least for the folks on the west coast. I have never done it this way and never even looked into it but it can't be all that much further, unless I'm missing something.

Some of the airlines that provide service on that route are among the best international flights in the world. Quantis, Singapore airlines, Even Northwest provides several flights across the pacific.

Any suggestions on that route?

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Heritage Arms.
My family used to fly from Frankfurt, and most of my hunter friends as well. Frankfurt is one of the three largest hubs in Europe, and the first hub to SA, Zim, Zam, Moz and Namibia. What I can say : no troubles as long as the whole paperwork is done. The Germans are real pros and hunt-liking belongs to their culture. So, no sweat about formalities and arms� troubles or disappearance. Hunting is deeply anchored in German heart. The biggest hunting travel agencies in Europe are German and first class. What their customs hate are fresh trophies. Please don�t bring back any fresh tusks in your luggage. Many times I was invited to hunt (illegally) in Germany, bringing guns, hunting without any hunting-license and even once with a bow, what is against the law.

SAEED�s Post makes me fall off my chair and clean my screen, my glasses and my eyes. Lufthansa like SAS, Air France are renowned for first class comfort and service, especially on international flights, which is the case. If you have to travel from smithtown to smithcity (Bilbao-Glasgow, Riga-Bordeaux) you can bet you wont be jet-flying or rent a private jet. JFK-Frankfurt and Fra-Joburg is BOEING. Sure the key is the carrier, cheapest is the flight, worst are the services. But the biggest companies in Europe aren�t cheap.

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have traveled thru Amsterdam and Zurich with guns without a problem. KLM has a good connection to Dar Es Salem via Amsterdamn - only a few hours wait if I recall.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

a flight JFK to Frankfurt to Johanessberg. Since I will have my rifles with me has anyone flown through Frankfurt with guns? I was planning on staying in Frankfurt for a few days after my return from Africa. Is this possible? has anyone done it? A client of mine used KLM and was very happy with their service too.

KLM has a rather cheap special offer from Frankfurt to Johannesburg, indeed:

526 � plus taxes.

German firearms law is *very* complicated. It is possible to take the guns out of the airport, but you will either need prior weapons permits (possible in theory, but you can forget this with the obnoxious Frankfurt firearms authorities, I have been taking them to court on a regular base), or simply use the services a local hunter friend who will receive your arms and take them out of the airport (you need to customs process them however).

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aleko, I will be there for 3 weeks in Oct as well. Drop me a line and let me know your agenda. Also when you decide on your flight arrangements. I still have to book mine as well.
Mike

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote