Find
Notify
Tools

Giraffe / Gervais
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted
Anyone going to Namibia any time soon? Given the recent Ricky Gervais Giraffe controversy, wouldn't it be fun to set up a one-off bidding system (all money to Namibian conservation of course), whereby Gervais and others could possibly "pay" for a hunter to NOT shoot a giraffe? Of course, we hunters would need to step up and bid against the greenies to allow the execution. Wink

Think the greens would pony up if we said, "outbid the hunters and I won't shoot this giraffe?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, sure!

How 'bout we …

Hel, I can't even think of what we should do with the antis.

Everybody needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Posts: 387 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
This is a bigger issue than just hunting. The whole social media group-think/mob mentality is pretty alarming. "Think as we do, believe what we believe, or we WILL come after you and make you pay."

I'm old enough to not have to give a rat's behind, but my concern is for my children and grandchildren. My son-in-law is in the media business, and, although he can be an arrogant little cuss, he's convinced me that, for that generation, if you don't have a presence on social media, you basically don't exist. Professionally especially.

These people don't have any interest in anything outside a city; they cannot fathom anyone who does. Their sum total view of the world is what they read on their twitter feed. It's a "Brave New World".

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gervais has done an excellent job of reviving an online petition started back in December 2013 on the focusingonwildlife dot com website. I think the intro blurb sums up their experience with Africa and its wildlife quite neatly
quote:
The gentle giants are loved around the world for their comical appearance and gentle nature. Just like character ‘Melman’ played by Friend’s-star David Schwimmer in Disney’s Madagascar, they are a hit with kids who love their long necks and eyelashes.

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote