Tools

Lodge owner killed by hippo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfr...ed-by-hippo-20111113

Lodge owner killed by hippo
2011-11-13 14:36

Johannesburg - A man was killed by a hippo at a lodge on the banks of the Vaal River just outside Klerksdorp in North West, said paramedics on Sunday.

The 52-year-old, thought to be the owner of the lodge, was killed on Saturday night, said Netcare 911 spokesperson Jeffrey Wicks.

"He had purportedly domesticated the animal which lived in the river near the establishment."

The man was bitten several times by the animal.

Earlier this year the man had been rescued from a tree after he was chased by a bull hippo, said Wicks.

- SAPA

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slow learner!
R.I.P.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I feel for the man's family and friends but sometimes the only real fix for stupid is terminal.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot more info and photos here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...mphrey-like-son.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"He had purportedly domesticated the animal which lived in the river near the establishment."

The man was bitten several times by the animal.

Earlier this year the man had been rescued from a tree after he was chased by a bull hippo, said Wicks.

AGAIN, we are faced with the demise of a person that thinks he / she is above the laws of nature...Thoughts and prayers to the family. A truly sad and unnecessary incident (not accident).

JW

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
SORRY FOR THE FAMILY BUT THE PHRASE "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" COMES TO MIND. he tamed a hippo?? really?? BEEN BIT TWICE, CHASED UP A TREE??? what part of "not tamed" didn't he get?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote