Find
Notify
Tools

The Smoke that Thunders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
Picture "borrowed" from Dr Tim Burkharts post on Zambezi Hunters.

If I knew how to do a poll it would be a simple yes or no...

Now the question, how many of us have stood in this observation spot and wondered about Africa and what she might hold for us?

As my wife and I moved from here and cotinued upon the trail to the Gorge I saw my first bushbuck doe in the morning light. I knew then tha Africa would be kind, and the magic unfolded.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
This is the closest I got:

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Haven't got any photos but once saw the falls from below ... a bit to the side just further upstream from the bridge.

Most disappointing was visiting the falls a second time in 1994 in a bad drought when the rain forest was almost completely dry.

Edited to add and answer the question:

"Now the question, how amany of us have stood in this observation spot and wondered about Africa and what she might hold for us?"

No. I admired the grandeur of Africa and the falls. Usually visited towards the end of the trip. The last visit to the falls (1988, 1994, 2002 ie 2002), the place had next to no tourists as a result of Mugabe's oppression and the unstable political situation. I think there were three white persons in the park.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw the falls in Oct 05 and at that time of the year they are not so impressive but are still great.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
been there a couple or 3 times - they are magnificent any time of the year, but when the water is high you don't see as much of them as in low water because of the mist

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I visited the falls in Oct 05 also. As you can see, when it's dry in Oct it doesn't come anywhere close to the first two pictures but it's still awesome. I would love to see if from the air when the water is fully running.

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post

I was fortunate enough not to have to borrow this photo. It is my cpu desktop and is also framed in an 8x10 right next to my desk. Yes, that is me. And yes, I was pondering my life and all that Africa has to offer. There very well be no greater place on earth for a man to stand and contemplate his place in the great grand scheme of things.
Thanks for sparking the memory.
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photos; when I went to the Falls it was after my hunt so I was just wondering how the heck I was going to get back to Africa (after my "once-in-a-lifetime" safari). Now I'm booked for September 2008 with Chifuti for buffalo and tuskless elephant. Won't see the Falls this time, just the Zambezi.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
I have some other great pics I should show you guys. The 3 days I was there I was running a 103 degree temp from "tick fever" after a tick from my leopard bit me. Even in my illness I managed to walked all thru the park and crossed into Zambia and back.

Africa is an awesome place. Too bad Mugabe and so many others ruin it. I can't wait to get back!

Dr. Tim

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was there last year. From the plane it was understandable why it was named. From the edge it was stunning. Fishing the Zambezi from above the falls with the hippos and crocs in the water, elephant and kudu on the banks, the sound of the falls in the distance, and tiger fish on the end of my line was a twice in a lifetime experience. I'll be back in 2008.

Posts: 13809 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote