THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Severely disappointed in Tag Safari shirts!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Severely disappointed in Tag Safari shirts!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For my birthday last month I asked for 2 short sleeve Kalahari shirts as well as 3 long sleeve Kalahari shirts. I choose these, especially the long sleeve ones, of the tabbs for rolling up the sleeves.

On my birthday I opened the shirts and I could not believe the total lack of quality control! The difference in colors in the shirts was huge, some of the shirts looked like some rough hemplike material while others looked like the cotton they are.

As I looked at the shirts I could not believe that these were all supposed to be the same line. Half had button down collars, half did not. Half had Tag Safari labels on the chest, half did not have anything. The real problem was that one of the long sleeve shirts had no tabs and buttons for keeping the rolled up sleeves up!!!! That would be horrible enough but numerous buttons on all the shirts were falling off!

My wife called tag about returns and they said that we would lose shipping both ways on their mistakes and poor quality product. I then got envolved which was the last thing I wanted to do as these were gifts. I got them to agree to the return of the shirt without tabs and they would pay the shipping both ways.

Well I got the replacement yesterday. As I tried it on I could not beleive it as I went to second button down and it practically fell off!! I went down the line and no fewer then 5 of the buttons were extremely loose with most barely attached. And this was the replacement shirt!

I will have my tailor fix the shirts and buttons as I have ZERO confidence in Tag Safari being able to produce any form of quality shirt as a replacement

Do to Tag Safaris horrible lack of quality and disappointing and unjust return policy I HIGHLY suggest that you do not purchase any products from this company.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear of this bad quality control. However, I took the TAG long sleeve roll up shirts and shorts to Zim this past september and they performed great. Maybe they recently had some changes in the factory since they are manufactured in ZIM.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
My TAG shirts say they are made in South Africa. I like the one's I ordered through long Grass.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC Roxby:
My TAG shirts say they are made in South Africa. I like the one's I ordered through long Grass.

Mine were all made in Zim which might explain the total lack of quality. Maybe they switched makers in an effort to try to save some $?

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I bought several TAG shirts two years ago. I like them, but I will agree that you need to re-sew every button on every shirt.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your order. I buy shirts from Long Grass Outfitters

These folks are members of this forum and they have a quality product. They are very nice to do business with.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have several that seem to be fine especially since I only paid about $5 for them in Zim. $5 they are practically disposable. After a few days in the thorn they might even look worse.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Mine have held up fine although the comment about needing to re-sew all the buttons is spot on. Other than that, I like them. They are l00% cotton and light, consequently they are cool and breathe.

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
I used to use Tag clothing, but found the quality became appalling.
I found a local company www.bigjohn.co.za and they make almost identical shirts and some other excellent kit besides.
I am not sure who their overseas agent is, try drop them an email. PWN375 from this forum can atteat to their quality, I think he and his clan have been trying to wear their shirts and jackets out for the past few years.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I posted a few years ago with nearly identical issues. That little guy there at TAG just doesn't care and regularly ships out JUNK.

I had one pair of pants with a small waist and two inch longer legs as the same size pant in the same order.

I had the SAME issues as you, plus my shirts reeked with something that smelled like bug killer.

Avoid TAG

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought some in 2003 and have been pleased with them. Would have made a mistake had I not read this thread. Sorry for your bad experience ... but thanks for the heads-up!

Will find another supplier.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought two long sleave and ten short sleave back in the late 90's and those shirts are all still going strong. They were all thicker cotton and have had no problems with them. About two yr's ago bought 3 more and they were JUNK buttons fell off and cotton was very thin. Quality has went down hill, will never get any more.

Posts: 60 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: 09 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted Hide Post
I bought 3 Kaki Safari style shirts from Walmart marked down from $25.00 to $7.00 that are perfect for this July's Safari . Couldn't pass up the mark down in price. Oh and the buttons aren't loose.

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I love the Bob Allen short and long sleeve safari shirts sold through SCI. They are the most comfortable shirts that I have ever worn or purchased, and I have bought and worn safari shirts from just about everyone. The short sleeve vented mesh back shirt with shooting pad is $38.00. They are not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an SCI logo long sleeve shirt in '06 and the camp seamstress had to sew all the front buttons back on. Expected more from SCI.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buttons on all my Tag brand shirt have/are falling off. Stiching is not holding up well either. The newest one's they are selling have their logo embrodaried (sic?) on the pocket... I'm not going to be a billboard for them.

I wore/still wore shirt by walkabout.com zipper pocket for passport and airline tickets and a small pocket, inside the zippered pocket that was just right for TSA keys.

If you want something made in Africa, try BUNDU Collection. Haven't hunted in them but the hold up nice to everyday wear.

Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do to Tag Safaris horrible lack of quality and disappointing and unjust return policy

The high price of safari vanity? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
BTW, you can get all that buttoned sleeve stuff and everything else at Cabelas.

Way back when in the early days, Cabelas used to sell junk but nowadays their clothes are as good as any around, and IMO better.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't beat Cabelas. Their quality and return policy is excellent.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1927 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Cabela's safari shirts & convertible pants last year and didn't care for them. I'm looking for other options.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Tag fabric and my short sleeve shirts were OK except they run a bit small IMO. The long sleeve shirts are not long enough. I love the fabric and their dark olive color is my favorite bush color. I normally cut the brand tabs off my clothing and refuse to buy footwear with the metal badges and trademarks that are becomming so common.

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bryan,

Try Columdia. I have a few whirts that have been sewn patched and bush repaired. Been wearing them for years. Durable, cool and yeah, I look spiffy...Smiler

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Poor quality control coming out of Zim. Who would have thunk it?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Filson has some great safari shirts.
Holland & Holland also stock shirts for safari they are also acceptable in quality.
I have a couple of cabelas shirts and they are OK but a bit rough without beeing more durable then the Filson shirts.
Beretta made a BIG five shirt some time back, they where cool, nice quality with cartridge pockets - cartridge pockets make you smile Big Grin
IMO all safari shirts needs to be ajusted by a tailor so that they are nice and tight. This is to make sure that your rifle or gun doers not grap the shirt when you shoulder it fast in a exiting situation.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote