THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Long Flights and Noise Cancelling Headphones

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Flights and Noise Cancelling Headphones
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gathering my kit for an upcoming hunt it looks like I need to replace my noise cancelling headphones for the long flight. My old Sennheisers (corded w/ AAA battery) worked well for 10 years but I can't source replacement earpads. I'm finding that most (all) of the new models have a rechargeable battery and use a bluetooth connection with some kind of adapter for the airline hardwire jack on the inflight entertainment system.
What models are you gentlemen using?

Posts: 103 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I like Bose

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Bose and Sony. Both work well. My preference is over the ear because I find them a little easier to sleep with.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have Apple Beats and Sony and both work OK. These days, though, airlines furnish headphones in business so mine are collecting dust.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I use Bose, and they work great.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am not too impressed with B&O

We call them Bad and Orrible!

Not sure about now, but their products are way over priced, for what they do.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a old Bose noise cancelling headset. They are great.

I have recently aquiried the Sony WH-100XM4 are they are really good. They adapt very well to the environment and I think they'll work great in a plane.

Regards,
Dennis

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2091 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I suggest anyone buying one should try it in the shop.

The Sony are great - both the in ear and over ear ones.

But I found then uncomfortable for periods of time.

The Bose over ear I find very comfortable.

Last thing one needs is a set he cannot wear on long periods.

If you are using your own entertainment system - like I do, my iPad - and travelling Business or First, you can charge your headphones and iPad on the plane.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you, Saeed!
Some of the noise cancelling systems can make you feel uncomfortable. So definetly a piece of gear worth trying out before shopping!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2091 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
I have trouble sleeping on a plane. One time I slept the entire flight from Senegal back to DC but took two Tylenol PM and two glasses of wine. Very dangerous and surprised that I did not get pick pocketed. Now I listen to classical music with my Bose. Helps if you get in a sleep routine and listen to the same music for a few weeks before your flight.

Posts: 518 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bose!

About 8 years back, I took my family to South Africa. I bought myself and my wife a pair. They worked
excellent and were very comfortable. My kids had other brands (cannot remember which) but the Bose were
better in my opinion.

I upgraded this year to a newer set which I do like. However, the old set is still more comfortable!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bose for the win. I went with the QC45 model.
I plan on putting some hours on them around the house to verify fit, comfort, and battery life prior to the cabin door closing. Thanks for all of the responses.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
How do you sleep with headphones on your head?

I use simple foam earplugs. Pennies a pair.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Over 4 million business miles on airlines and never needed or used any sort of ear plugs or ear covers.
Is this a recent fad or can there be another explanation?
Like MR, get real!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Over 4 million business miles on airlines and never needed or used any sort of ear plugs or ear covers.
Like MR, get real!

I use them to watch movies on my iPad

Otherwise I don’t use any.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To each his own I guess. If a $300 item will make the 5 movie 17 hour assbuster of a flight a bit more tolerable for us snowflakes I think I will somehow work that into the budget.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

I am not too impressed with B&O

We call them Bad and Orrible!

Not sure about now, but their products are way over priced, for what they do.

Here's the review:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide...r-headphones-review/

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Bose for many years while operating heavy equipment. They were comfortable and I still have my hearing.

Posts: 134 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course I'd wear headphones if I wanted to listen to music or movie audio!

I thought we were talking about noise cancellation.

But what do I know? I just use what the airline gives me.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny. I can sleep most anytime day or night regardless of light or noise. It's rare for me to get comfortable enough on a flight though to be able to sleep. For me a comfortable set of NC headphones block out the surrounding distractions and make the entertainment - whether it be movie, audiobook, or music that much more enjoyable.
Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just use the headphones the airline provides. They are pretty good. And I like listening to music when I sleep. Just me.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Of course I'd wear headphones if I wanted to listen to music or movie audio!

I thought we were talking about noise cancellation.

But what do I know? I just use what the airline gives me.

In all my travels, I have never used any of what the plane offers.

I used to carry a book with me before.

Now I use an iPad with a Kindle app.

I have given Kindles to friends, who use my Kindle account, and told them to buy whatever books they fancy.

We have a library of literally thousands of books, from all sorts of fields, and we all have access to them.

Son on the plane, if I am not reading a book on the iPad, I am watching a movie or series on it I download earlier.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I have never been able to get used to Kindles or any other electronic devices for reading books.

I guess I am a dinosaur.

As far as books are concerned, if a goat can't eat it, I won't read it!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Saeed, I’ve used the Bose ones, happily.

I just wish they had something that worked as well that you would t dislodge when sleeping.

I don’t sleep well on planes. The air noise is pretty loud, and I’m not exactly free of flight anxiety, even though I know it’s safer than driving. It might be that there are too many for low around also- I’ve never slept well in communal situations.

Having some quiet music at the edge of audibility helps me sleep, and also with my crap hearing, I need the NR to understand the dialog on movies/shows with that background noise.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Saeed, I have never been able to get used to Kindles or any other electronic devices for reading books.

I guess I am a dinosaur.

As far as books are concerned, if a goat can't eat it, I won't read it!

I had to adapt, as I read so much.

And the Kindle has been fantastic.

I don't actually use one, but use the app to read on an iPad.

My friends living in Africa, who do not have access to bookstores as we do, think it is absolutely great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bookstores are becoming an endangered species.

That is a shame on the state of our civilization.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I had to adapt, as I read so much.

And the Kindle has been fantastic.

I don't actually use one, but use the app to read on an iPad.

My friends living in Africa, who do not have access to bookstores as we do, think it is absolutely great.

Exactly. Back in the day I used to carry pounds and pounds of books with me on flights. I bought a Kindle when it first came out and transitioned to the Kindle app on the iPad once it became available.

Also, I use Bose over-the-ear noise canceling headphones as well. It is paired to my iPad and I do download shows and movies for flights.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Like MR, get real!

There are folks that are light sleepers and struggle to get to sleep with any outside noise.

I just got a pair of Apple Airpods Pro. They have effective noise cancelling and are no very obtrusive, outside your ear.

I have not tried yet, but I think I could lay down on my ears and they won't interfere.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3529 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I'm currently using (and loving) these: COWIN E7

They're inexpensive, comfortable, noise-cancelling, and come with a case. I've openly shunned BOSE and B&O equipment since my decade working in that field. Overpriced beyond imagination. We used to say BOSE stood for "Better off with something else" or "Boy our shit's expensive"!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote