THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Issues with Gerhard Koch--anyone else?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Issues with Gerhard Koch--anyone else?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Fellas:
In 2019 I had ther best experience in Africa I could imagine. A hunt in South Africa, then flew to Botswana for another, then to Zimbabwe for a vacation. About a month total. My SA taxidermy went to Savuti Taxidermy so I thought it a good idea for my 11 skulls and 5 flat skins to go there also. Here is my story.

Gerhard Koch has given me the absolute run around for nearly two years regarding my taxidermy (11 skulls and five flat skins) from my hunt with Jaco Viser in 2019. Let me point out Jaco is 100 straight up and there is no problem with Jaco or his agent, Matt Egan. (Matt will no longer represent Gerhard due to issues with honesty and integrity).

In 2019 I hunted first in South Africa and then to Botswana. My SA trophies were sent to Svuti Taxidermy. Cliff Richardson of Savuti was to hunt with Jaco a week after I did so I thought it reasonable to send my trophies from Botswana to Cliff. Jaco sent my trophies and also Cliff's trophies to Gerhard, as he is 1000 kilometers closer to Savuti, for delivery to Savuti.

Cliff completed my SA trophies to schedule. Gerhard held my trophies for a nearly a year and did absolutely nothing with them. Then COVID set in and that was the excuse not to send them to Cliff. However, COVID came about six months after they were to be shipped to Cliff. When they finally arrived I was missing an eland skull. After months of "I will get it to Cliff in two weeks" it finally was delivered.

After the months I told Gerhard I would publish my experiences. He asked that I not do so, that the delay was his fault as was the missing eland skull and he was extremely sorry and he finally made the delivery. I agreed to his request as we all make mistakes. But...

When I went to visit Cliff last week, all skulls were finally there (Cliff's work is wonderful). However, all of my flat skins from Botswana were missing. They were never delivered to Cliff and Gerhard never mentioned anything to me of their disappearance. I know the skins were sent to him and I was in camp when the full skins were in the salt. There were also major issues with official documents on the Botswana side (or lack thereof) but I can't get into this on a public forum.

And, to add injury to the insult, Gerhard still has Cliff's trophies of two years ago and won't deliver them. Cliff told me he is still waiting and getting the same runaround. Gerhard has lied to me and all others in the issue of my taxidermy.

I will make this post as well as other forums and my website and Facebook. Now that I have the entire story I would not trust Gerhard any farther that I can spit.

This post is just FYI. If Cliff and I are the only ones with issues then so be it. But I doubt we are. Anyone else have problems with Gerhard?

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting post.......

A friend and I did our first trip to Bots with Gerhard in June of 2019. Similar in that my friend wanted a croc so, the first 3-days were across the boarder with Gerhard in RSA. Friend got his croc and a bookable Roan too. Finished out the hunt in Bots with Gerhard on his place in the Tuli block. I just shot culls and my friend took some culls and several trophies. My friend's skins and skulls were delivered across the boarder to the RSA taxidermist for mounts and shipping due to the croc needed to be exported from RSA - no issues other than delays due to Bots and RSA being locked down and NOTHING and NO ONE being allowed to cross the boarders. Even travel within Bots just to go the grocery store was not allowed without special permit for MONTHS.

Other than the Covid lockdowns, no problems whatsoever - completed taxidermy including a full body mount Limpopo bushbuck are on there way to the US as I type this.

I was also there in Aug 2019 with a friend and we just shot culls for six days and then over to Namibia for 10-days. I just got back from there with my wife and a friend and we all hunted culls and I'm going back again on 1 Aug with some friends, two of us are just taking culls and one is doing culls and trophy PG.

Question - Who was your PH/Outfitter of Record? Meaning who did you contract with to hunt with, who did you hunt with and on who's property or concession did you hunt with, Gerhard or Jaco?

The reason I'm asking who your PH/Outfitter of record is, is kind of important. While I haven't hunted in as many southern Africa countries as you, I have made over 30 trips to RSA, Bots and Namibia and I did attend a formal PH school in RSA-KZN in 2011. Passed the academics, practicals and the govt administered written exams. I've also read the hunting laws/regs for Namibia and Bots. Does that mean I know everything - NOPE, not at all. But one thing I do clearly remember is the PH/Outfitter of record is the person responsible for ensuring all proper licenses, documentation and the delivery of dried skulls/skins to the taxidermist/exporter - regardless. Even if the PH/Outfitter of record subordinates this out, they are still ultimately responsible.

As a side note - I also know Jaco and message and video with him often. I can assure you I would NOT be taking my wife, my friends and acquaintances and spending our money there if I, for one second thought Gerhard was as you say. And NO, I do NOT get a cut or a commission or "free hunts" for taking people there.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gusteaux:
Thanks for your comments. Jaco was my PH and I did everything through him. All was delivered to Gerhard for transportation to Savuti. I hunted in early August and Cliff of Savuti followed a week later. Covid restrictions came in March. My items were held and finally delivered. the eland skull followed nearly a year later. I am still missing my flat skins. Cliff still does not have his trophies. Everything was in order when I departed Jaco's camp. I look back on my emails over the nearly two years and when combined with my visit to Savuti I know the story. I wish I could go into details of the paperwork/permit issues but I can't on a public forum and have been asked not to.

Two years later all is resolved except the missing flat skins. I have to accept their loss.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK....

Can I ask a couple of more questions for clarification......

1. Who did you book this hunt thru and pay your fee to:
a. Matte Egan, Jaco's authorized US Booking Agent/Outfitter
b. Jaco directly
c. Gerhard

2. Are both Matte Egan and Jaco fully aware of the situation with your skins and/or Cliff's trophies? If so, how long have they been aware of the problem?

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gusteaux:
OK....

Can I ask a couple of more questions for clarification......

1. Who did you book this hunt thru and pay your fee to:
a. Matte Egan, Jaco's authorized US Booking Agent/Outfitter
b. Jaco directly
c. Gerhard

2. Are both Matte Egan and Jaco fully aware of the situation with your skins and/or Cliff's trophies?

I booked with Matt if I remember correctly. I never knew of Gernard's existance until Jaco told me he was to send my trophies to him, along with those of Cliff, as he was 1000 km closer to Savuti. I understand Jaco and Gerhard are in some business together but I don't know the extent of it.

I emailed both Jaco and Matt. No reply from Jaco yet and I spoke with Matt on the phone. It was then I learned about Matt's issues with Gerhard.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK....so to be sure I understand the situation correctly, I'd like to just summarize if I may.

1. You booked the hunt and paid your money thru and to Matte Egan, who is Jaco's fully authorized US Booking Agent/Outfitter.

2. Jaco was your PH of Record. He pulled your hunting licences/permits and presume obtained your temp rifle import permits.

3. You hunted directly with Jaco on his property or property he was authorized to hunting access on.

4. As some point, Gerhard was brought in, ostensible by Jaco, to assist with getting your and Cliff's trophies from Bots to RSA.

5. As previously pointed out, Gerhard had no binding obligation to do any of it. The responsibility for proper documentation, tagging/marking trophies for taxidermy and subsequent export rests solely on the PH/Outfitter of Record.

6. Matte Egan and Jaco are both fully aware there is/are problems with some of your and Cliff's remaining trophies getting to RSA

Is that a fairly accurate summery?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Yes, but I booked with either Matt or Jaco. I can't remember who advertised the hunt.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will say that I know for a FACT the ONLY person who posts on-line is Matt. So, if it was via an on-line forum posting it was thru Matt.

So, you paid Jaco's fully authorize US Representative/Booking Agent/Outfitter.

You hunted with Jaco and he was your PH/Outfitter of Record

Gerhard had, nor has any binding obligation to do any of the exporting - period. But tried to help his friend of 20+ years, Jaco.

Both Matt and Jaco are fully aware there are still outstanding issues with your and Cliff's trophies.

Got it.

Are you aware that the fully authorized US Representative/Booking Agent/Outfitter for Jaco was actually IN Botswana for the entire month of May 2021 WITH Jaco and NEVER contacted Gerhard or attempted to sort out your/Cliffs remaining trophies issues. But, they had time to camp and fish in the Delta and do a little hunting, yet Gerhard is being the shit over this.

By the way, there are five skins sitting in storage with Cliff's name on the attached tags BUT the documents Jaco provided have your name on them. Those five skins are the ONLY skins given to Gerhard.

I also know about the dust up between Matt and Gerhard and was NOT about your taxidermy. It happened BEFORE or just after your hunt with Jaco and well BEFORE your and Cliff's stuff was taken to Gerhard. It was over commissions and reimbursement for advertising. Specifically, Matt wanted Jaco and Gerhard to pay him a commission on every hunt book thru him PLUS the same commission for clients who re-booked directly with either of them and avoided using Matt. PLUS he wanted them to reimburse him for his advertising expense ($2K each per year) required to post hunts on another site. Gerhard said he would pay him one or the other not both.

Your situation came up AFTER this.

I'm posting this up now, in public because you decided to take it public.

And here is a link to prove Matt was in Bots with Jaco for the entire month of May 2021.

BOTSWANA: 30 Days With NKWE SAFARIS

Now, if you care to search his user name there, Egan36, you can discover his vast African hunting experience before he started posting for Jaco two years ago.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input.
I just stated the facts, times, etc., based on my observations and my emails received.
Cheers,
Cal
PS. Skimmed through the link and agree fully about what is written about Jaco. He's a straight up guy in every way. I would second that for Matt from my communications with him.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's all well and good but you kind of publicly tossed a pile of shit on someone who was simply trying to help his longtime friend.

I will agree with you that Jaco is good guy and and would be a great person to book directly with and hunt with.

PS - you might want to actually email Gerhard. He will send you copies of ALL the documents he has on all of this.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gusteaux, but I have enough emails with Gerhard. If I ever meet you in person I will explain the paperwork/permit issue and I believe you would understand my ire. If this thread and post is still in my memory when I receive my trophies I will PM for your number and ring you (or give you my number to call me) and explain. I may be going back to SA again for another hunt in a few weeks and will know the schedule for my trophies shippemnt and subsequent delivery to my home in Alaska. I will also explain to you why I must keep some info silent now. You're a gentleman and I will chat (nothing in writing) in due time.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, Did Jaco or Matt know that these long delays were happening?

If so: Did Jaco ever contact Gerhard to sort out the problem?

My interest is more than academic, I'm considering a safari with Nkwe for 2022.

Posts: 449 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Baker:
After the trophies were sent to Gernard it was up to him. And, please let me be 100% clear: Jaco and Matt are 110% in my book. They did everything they were supposed to do and did it right. If I was to do it again, knowing what I do now, I would simply have my trophies done in Maun and sent my way--thereby bypassing Gerhard. You won't have any problem whatsoever with Jaco.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, now that this thread has gone beyond a dialogue, may I ask some questions?
1. The Outfitter is a wonderful guy.
2. The Outfitter brings in an acquaintance/business partner to do the skull and hide processing.
3. The person brought in to do the work identified in 2 above either fails to do it (as in the hides) or does it late, after much prompting.
4. What is the role/responsability of the Outfitter who recommended the processor?
I have only been to Africa once, Namibia. The PH/outfitter recommended someone, who I met once and paid, but did not know from Adam. I acted solely on the recommendation of the PH with whom I had extensive communications, before the hunt, during the hunt, and after the hunt. In short, I thought I knew him. While I had no problems ( I ordered European mounts), I would have expected the PH to act as mediator/go between, especially as there was a language issue between me and the taxi guy!
Now I am not trying to get in the middle here, just trying to educate myself a little bit, although my chances of hunting Africa again are close to zero.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Cal,

Being a seasoned African hunter, I am not sure what to think about this situation.

All my trips to different African countries, I have had a plan in place before I departed and never deviated from my plan.

I have in place my:
1. Taxadermist with tags in hand (I have used African and USA taxadermist)
2. Importer
3. Shipping with Dip & Pack (usually obtain this from the taxidermist I plan to use)

I know that PH's have in the past are trying to steer your business to a local taxidermist or different Dip & Pack.

The only time I ran into issues is when my PH delivered my trophies to a different dip & pack than what I requested. If I am paying for the delivery to the dip & pack, it need to go to where I want it. That way my taxidermist and importer are tracking the progress.

I do believe that this was brought on yourself by your changing direction in how your trophies were processed. That is called live and learn.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1628 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bwana, but I did not change my direction. As my SA trophies were to be processed by Savuti I simply asked Jaco in Botswana if my trophies could be sent there. If he said that was impossible then so be it. But there was no issue as Cliff from Savuti was hunting there and my trophies would be sent with his. It's quite simple from the beginning. The problems arose when my trophies were not delivered, and when they were a skull was missing, and I just found out a week ago all of my flat skins are missing. I respect your opinion but I didn't change any direction--it was the same from day one.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KInd of hard for me to think jaco and matt did all they could. They got paid handed off your stuff to someone else and now your to figure it out. Nothing worse then someone passing the blame on others when it seems jaco is in africa and could pick up your stuff and take care of the problem. He should finish the job he was paid for as I see it. All these guys could be great guys but someone or two people dropped the ball here. I dont care if he is out time and money to fix the problem but jaco or matt should make it right get your trophies or give refund on animals missing

That is how I see it looking at the facts out in public now.

Posts: 578 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at jaco place to hunt soon also but not so sure I would use him or matt to book a bostwana hunt now

Posts: 578 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcap:
KInd of hard for me to think jaco and matt did all they could. They got paid handed off your stuff to someone else and know your to figure it out. Nothing worse then someone passing the blame on others when it seems jaco is in africa and could pick up your stuff and take care of the problem. He should finish the job he was paid for as I see it. All these guys could be great guys but someone or two people dropped the ball here. I dont care if he is out time and money to fix the problem but jaco or matt should make it right get your trophies or give refund on animals missing

That is how I see it looking at the facts out in public now.

Good post

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had dealings with both of them, and would not use either. Not going to elaborate.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I have a bit of a different perspective on this and maybe I am wrong, go ahead and be the judge.

If I hire a PH or Outfitter to hunt with, I would expect them to manage the dip and pack. If they recommend them, would
not the fault ultimately fall on them, to a large degree?

If I hire an employee to provide services for a customer and they fail, who do you think the customer is going to blame? I guarantee you that it will not be my employee, it will be ME.

Do you think that Fairgame ever has these problems? I do not know him, other than his good track record on this site. I suspect that he rarely, if ever has issues with clients Dip and Pack.

I've only been to Africa 3 times. My first dealings with Dip and Pack was a disaster. It still pisses me off.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't the booking agent or whatever Matt's role was be helping out?

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . we’re seeing yet again the unintended consequences of starting these sorts of threads. They rarely play out the way the OP intended.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience is that the trophy dip/pack/ship to the US is the biggest source of headaches for folks going over there and hunting.

Lots of delays and lots of different folks with their hands out.

Responsibility?

That’s harder. With the paperwork for export it’s initially the PH/hunting company, but often with multiple cargo stops there are lots of middlemen.

I’d say about 3/4 of my hunts have had delays, paperwork issues, and additional expense.

I find it hard to not honor the animal by using the head and hide, but going the photo only route saves a lot of time and tribulations.

If it was clearly stated somewhere whose responsibility it is, that would help- and that person should be responsible for any fees that they don’t disclose except in unusual circumstances.

The SA export companies that tell you it’s to your door and then give you all kinds of bills to pay give SA a real bad name.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
My experience is that the trophy dip/pack/ship to the US is the biggest source of headaches for folks going over there and hunting.

Lots of delays and lots of different folks with their hands out.

Responsibility?

That’s harder. With the paperwork for export it’s initially the PH/hunting company, but often with multiple cargo stops there are lots of middlemen.

I’d say about 3/4 of my hunts have had delays, paperwork issues, and additional expense.

I find it hard to not honor the animal by using the head and hide I find it hard to not honor the animal by using the head and hide, but going the photo only route saves a lot of time and tribulations.

If it was clearly stated somewhere whose responsibility it is, that would help- and that person should be responsible for any fees that they don’t disclose except in unusual circumstances.

The SA export companies that tell you it’s to your door and then give you all kinds of bills to pay give SA a real bad name.

Thanks for being a true sportsman.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
I have had dealings with both of them, and would not use either. Not going to elaborate.

which two of them did you deal with. I am looking at bostwana for a plains game hunt now and would be nice to know who you would not use again

One of Us
Picture of Safari Specialty Importers
posted Hide Post
Situations like the one that Cal describes are a perfect example why it pays to have an expert service like Safari Specialty Importers oversee the import process for your trophies. Even the most experienced hunter can run into pitfalls like these, but at least you would have a dedicated team pushing everyday to resolve issues like this. This removes the hassle of running through email chains, trying to time international calls, etc.

Unless you are dead-set on having your trophies mounted by a specific company in Africa, it will always be a simpler process to import your trophies directly from the country of origin to the US. The fewer countries your precious trophies have to import/export through, the less chance that something will be lost, misplaced, or forgotten.

Posts: 192 | Location: New York | Registered: 25 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is why I asked whether Jaco and Matt knew about the problems. Cal said that they did not know.

Everyone is an individual & can do things as they like. Cal chose to deal just with Gerhard. I would have let Jaco know after the first issue, because 1. they are the ones who said to use Gerhard, 2. the hunting community in Bots is small and everybody knows everybody, one phone call could maybe either sort out the paperwork issue or kick someone in the ass.

Since Cal said that Nkwe did not know, I have no problem hunting with them & they are on my short list for 2022 hunt with my daughter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I had no problems ( I ordered European mounts), I would have expected the PH to act as mediator/go between, especially as there was a language issue between me and the taxi guy!
Now I am not trying to get in the middle here, just trying to educate myself a little bit, although my chances of hunting Africa again are close to zero.
Peter.

Peter: Yeah, I feel the same way, 100%. Assuming the outfitter/PH suggests that I use someone, if I have a MAJOR problem I'm going to let the outfitter/PH know and I damn well expect some help. They are on the ground, often in the same area, and I would also want them to know about problems before they send someone MORE clients.

That's one thing in my business that can make me lose sleep... Any time I have to bring a 3rd party into MY relationship with MY client.

Again: IN THIS CASE, THE OUTFITTER/PH DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM so they can't bear responsibility.

Oh and Peter: Sure hope you get to hunt Africa again!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari Specialty Importers:
Situations like the one that Cal describes are a perfect example why it pays to have an expert service like Safari Specialty Importers oversee the import process for your trophies. Even the most experienced hunter can run into pitfalls like these, but at least you would have a dedicated team pushing everyday to resolve issues like this. This removes the hassle of running through email chains, trying to time international calls, etc.

Unless you are dead-set on having your trophies mounted by a specific company in Africa, it will always be a simpler process to import your trophies directly from the country of origin to the US. The fewer countries your precious trophies have to import/export through, the less chance that something will be lost, misplaced, or forgotten.

and you could have done no more to solve the problem but charge to send emails. Problem should be handled by people who took the money and did the hunt. Then if hunter needs a service for import he gets one as no one should need help to get there stuff taken care of on this simple matter.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
I guess I have a bit of a different perspective on this and maybe I am wrong, go ahead and be the judge.

If I hire a PH or Outfitter to hunt with, I would expect them to manage the dip and pack. If they recommend them, would
not the fault ultimately fall on them, to a large degree?

If I hire an employee to provide services for a customer and they fail, who do you think the customer is going to blame? I guarantee you that it will not be my employee, it will be ME.

Do you think that Fairgame ever has these problems? I do not know him, other than his good track record on this site. I suspect that he rarely, if ever has issues with clients Dip and Pack.

I've only been to Africa 3 times. My first dealings with Dip and Pack was a disaster. It still pisses me off.

Thanks Jason. I recommend one local exporter because he is the best of what we have. The Du Plooys do their own shipping and they are excellent. I do not take a commission and I introduce my clients to the exporter and they organize correspondence and payments direct. The issues and delays I have experienced have come from hunting with other operators of which I have little control or influence. Trophy exports are far more complicated these days and delays can be expected but updates and communication are part of the service.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Jason. I recommend one local exporter because he is the best of what we have. The Du Plooys do their own shipping and they are excellent. I do not take a commission and I introduce my clients to the exporter and they organize correspondence and payments direct. The issues and delays I have experienced have come from hunting with other operators of which I have little control or influence. Trophy exports are far more complicated these days and delays can be expected but updates and communication are part of the service.

Excellent! If Outfitters/PH's followed this business model, you would rarely hear of these issues.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
My job is to make sure the trophy is professionally skinned, salted, treated, and delivered to the exported in a timely fashion.

In my time I have seen some shocking preparation of trophies by others.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Baker. I would like a DG hunt but they are out of sight now, price wise. I sold my SxS doubles, but still have my Tikka 512SD in 9.3x74R, and, of course, my trusty Blaser in 375H&H!!!!!
Having said that, I still enjoy my European mounts, especially the Kudu, but the hides stay rolled up on the shelf in the closet as I don't know what else to do with them. No wall space. No floor space.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The silence now from all parties in this mess is scary to me. Hope some realize how this will hurt there business and thinking being silent will help is a big mistake. Some names going off my list for future hunts that is for sure.

This site is also to help others stay away from the bad ones and this starting a thread and then nothing by anyone is not right.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
The silence now from all parties in this mess is scary to me. Hope some realize how this will hurt there business and thinking being silent will help is a big mistake. Some names going off my list for future hunts that is for sure.

This site is also to help others stay away from the bad ones and this starting a thread and then nothing by anyone is not right.

Standard name blame thread. Let's move on.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

AR is a free, open site.

Available to the whole hunting community.

Every member can post whatever they wish.

Those in the business are free to offer their services and goods.

Unlike other sites, we do not charge a penny.

Nor do we stop unhappy clients from voicing their complaints.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68795 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

AR is a free, open site.

Available to the whole hunting community.

Every member can post whatever they wish.

Those in the business are free to offer their services and goods.

Unlike other sites, we do not charge a penny.

Nor do we stop unhappy clients from voicing their complaints.

I know and that is what is great about here. Just stinks when people talk and not all the facts ever get out. My comment was not meant to be anything bad to this site just the people who start and never close out a story to the end.

trust me I know all about the other site and the pay to be there and the bs that goes on behind the scenes there. Was part of it and saw it all first hand.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I can only comment for myself. My issue is being resolved but Jaco needs some time to sort it all out. When the sort is completed I will post the results. However, throughout all this Gerhard has been silent and the resolution is coming from Jaco and maybe Matt, not from Gerhard.
Thanks for all of your comments and observations.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This should be very interesting.......

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it seems you're getting some commitment to resolution after you contacted the PRINCIPLE. Maybe if that had been done MONTHS ago, NONE of this would be HERE and maybe the problem would have already been sorted out.

It's also interesting that when it was offered that maybe you contact Gerhard again, you declined and then say he's being silent.

I can't wait for the explanation posted here....I've been in direct comms with Jaco and Gerhard since your original post.

I think I'm going to need more popcorn.......

Ps: Just so happens I'm going to be at Gerhard's the first two weeks of Aug coming up. With a little luck, Jaco may pitch up while I'm there. Will be interesting to see if what gets posted up here matches what I may hear face to face from both.