THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    SA Safari caliber and bullet choices

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SA Safari caliber and bullet choices
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am new to this forum and have found it full of information and think it is great!

I will be going to South Africa on a plains game hunt for my first time. On my list I have Giraffe zebra eland kudu nyala gemsbuck wildebeast impala bushbuck warthog and maybe a couple others.
I have purchased a new blaser rifle in .375 H&H that I plan on using on the larger tougher species like maybe the giraffe zebra eland and wildebeast. My ph recommended the 270 gr swift A-frames but I can't find any factory ammo in this configuration. I will likely go with 300 gr trophy bonded bear claw or 300 gr A-frame; which ever it shoots best.

For the smaller species I will take either my Beretta Mato .300 wm with 200 gr trophy bonded bear claws or Beretta Mato .338wm with 225gr tbbc or 225 swift A frame; which ever shoots best.

Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Bill

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 12 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have used trophy bonded bear claws and trophy bonded sledgehammers on a majority of my African Safaris, having shot Steenbok to Elephant with them and have been satisfied. The new trophy bonded tips are the revised trophy bonded bear claws and they are great. Proper bullet placement is always the key in your hunting. Best wishes on your upcoming safari.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your .375 and .300 with any of the bullet combinations that you mention will be a great combination

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 2 giraffe, body shots, one with a 450 No2 and one with a 9,3x74R.

I used solids in both cases. I recommend you take some solids for your 375 H&H.

They are fun to hunt.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bgomez:

For the smaller species I will take either my Beretta Mato .300 wm with 200 gr trophy bonded bear claws or Beretta Mato .338wm with 225gr tbbc or 225 swift A frame; which ever shoots best.

Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Bill

Hi Bill

i would use the 375 for everything it will realy blood the gun properly

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used 300 gr trophy bonded bearclaws in my 375 H&H on tsessebe, kudu, buffalo, zebra and hyena. I have been very satisfied.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote