Find
Notify
Tools

Reticule Preferences for Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted
I have been looking into purchasing a variable low-powered scope (probably a Leupold) for a .375 that will be used for relatively close distances (under 200 yards). I figured that you gents with African experience might have used something similar. I have been looking predominately at German #1, German #4, and Leupold Dot reticules. What works best? The Leupold Dot intrigues me, but I am uncertain about it.

Thanks!

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The German N° 1 works at all distances for me.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
I have the Leupold Dot on my .375 and love it.

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If its really going to do any close work then make sure your eye follows the dot, makes for great action shooting. If you are unsure then try one on a pellet gun or similar if you have acess in a gunshop, you will be surprised at how instinctive your shooting can become within a few shots. At least that was what I found

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I am an instinctive shooter to begin with, which is why I thought the Leupold Dot was a good idea. I shoot instinctively with a longbow and with a shotgun as well...

Bowhunr, is your scope the 2-7x VX-II?

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
31/2Makesmelaugh

You don't say what you are aiming at. If it's DG, by all means keep it simple. (cross hairs and accented at that) I suggest you ask the forum what they like on DG. (On plains game I guess you can go with what you like. - Confession - I have always had a lifelong dislike of dot sights but I really have no idea as to how experienced hunters in Africa feel about dot sights on dangerous game.)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Standard Leupold Duplex I have been using for years. It is perfect for hunting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67023 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see. I too, have used the standard duplex for years. The .375 would be for large game (mostly North American): boars and bears and possibly some African DG. Additionally, it will probably be used for spot and stalk whitetails in heavy timber.

one of us
posted Hide Post

I've used the standard Leopold duplex the most and the 3 minute dot a litte. I have a feeling the dot could get lost in a low light situation. If I was buying one new scope with the idea being that I would use it for everything in Africa I'd choose the illuminated duplex but I would choose a 1.5-6 or 2.5x8 for the 375. The 1.5x5 fails miserably in low light.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I've been using the std Leupold duplex for years on my deer rifle so my DG rifle has it also. Mine is the 1.5-5 and unlike Mark, I have never had a problem in low light although I haven't tried it for leopard. On my last safari I bought a 1.5-6 Kahles with the illuminated circle dot reticle. It was too "busy" and after I got back from Africa, I sent it back to the factory and had it changed to the illuminated dot with cross hairs. While I haven't gotten back to Africa with it yet, it works fine here and I like it a lot.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I have the Swarovski PH scopes in 1.25-4 and 1.5-6 with the circle dot reticle. Super fast target acquisition. I owe an after dark, no spotlight leopard to the circle dot reticle. Great product. Pricey, but great.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
German #4 is my preference.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I has really wanting out of this reticule is speed. The Swarovskis sound great, but unfortunately they are a bit out of my price range. I am leaning towards a Leupold in either 2-7x or 1.75-6X.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I use the heavy duplex Leupold. 3.5, I think the Leupy 1.75x6 is the cats ass for a .375!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
FYI: Swaro PH 1.25-4; Circle Dot; $750, no bids

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swarovski-..._trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I have two German #4's in my Custom Leupold 1-4x20 and Zeiss Vistory 6x42. Both used in Africa at ranges up to 230yards without problems.

My son used a German Zeiss 2.5-10x42 30mm tubed scope on his .243 in Africa with the Zeiss #8 reticle which I much prefer.

For Americans I beleive Leupold now offer the Wide Duplex or LR Duplex which is similar as well as the German #4 in their custom shop.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Trijicon illuminated reticles - I love the triangle post for hunting medium to large game. It is fast and it is precise, both at the same time.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the #4 on all my scopes. I like the more open sight picture. For me it is easier to acquire a sight picture on running game.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mostly Leupold standard Duplex, particularly in Africa. BUT here in the states and for any kind of hunting in low light conditions, I switch to the Heavy Duplex. It really helps over the standard. I have it on my 375 and it works great. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
German #4

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I like S&B's #9 and Swarovski's CD reticle best. Very fast for me.....

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Code4:
I have two German #4's in my Custom Leupold 1-4x20 and Zeiss Vistory 6x42. Both used in Africa at ranges up to 230yards without problems.

My son used a German Zeiss 2.5-10x42 30mm tubed scope on his .243 in Africa with the Zeiss #8 reticle which I much prefer.

For Americans I beleive Leupold now offer the Wide Duplex or LR Duplex which is similar as well as the German #4 in their custom shop.
i much prefer the #4 in that zeiss vs the #8. THe #8 is so wide, the posts cannot be used in low light to bracket game

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always preferred a modified German # 4 for the larger kickers. That said more and more I want something that is lighted. It really helps the eyes at this age.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PATRIOT76:
quote:
Originally posted by Code4:

i much prefer the #4 in that zeiss vs the #8. THe #8 is so wide, the posts cannot be used in low light to bracket game

We may have to agree to disagree but the reason I like the #8 so much is because I can bracket the target in low light. Not just with three bars but four. The finer inner wires allow me to make more precise shot placement in good light.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would get a 1.75x6 Leupold and send it back to the custom shop for an installation of a #1 reticule. In fact I think I may do just that for my 9.3x62!!!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a heavy duplex on my 416 rigby and a 1-4 vxII leupold. it worked fine. last kill was 120-180m.

I like the cheap and cheerful burris ballistic plex for my 30-06 and that works fine up to and a little over 300m + (on targets). I mostly shoot game under 200.

I have always fancied a german #1 or #4, but haven't bought one yet.....

cheers, tm

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
My father-in-law turned me on to the German #4 in a Zeiss 3-9x50 and I like it..., a lot!

I did pick up a Zeiss 1.5-5 for my .375 and it has the Zeiss Z Plex and while it is a bit thinner than the German #4, I still had no problems with it for shoots on kudu and wildebeest under 300. In fact, only the very finest cross hairs have ever given me any trouble at close range.

If you don't anticipate doing a lot of hold over, skip all the fancy tick mark reticules, but they do come in handy beyond 2 and 3 hundred yards if you practice with them.

ChetNC

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must say duplex type reticles have been the standard on my rifles in the past. 1.5 X 5 DG Redfield on my .375H&H, Leupy 1.75
X 6 heavy duplex on the 9.3 X 74R and .404 Jeff.

But now a "new" to me scope sits atop my CZ 550FS 9.3 X 62 that's headed for Moz in 3 weeks. It's the Trijicon 3 X 9 post with amber triangle. All three of my companions have had this scope on their rifles, 375 H & H, 375 Ruger and 416 Rigby for some 6 months or more and have been touting it unmercilessly to me. So two months ago I broke down, "as they predicited I would" and went for one. I must say it's the best thing I have done lately. Super clear optics, amazingly fast, two eyes open target access, tritium post for no/low light situations, as for my Leopard hunt. After all these great features the thing that stands out most for me is the "unclutterd" sight picture you get with this scope. Now when I look through my other conventional scopes it really is a clutterd picture that presents itself with all the crosshairs, duplexs, dots etc.

I guess it was breaking away from the "traditional" concepts of crosshair scopes that made me wait so long, but really glad I took the bait from my buddies on this one!! After this trip I would suspect I'll have a lot of traditional scopes for sale??

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HUGE fan of the Leupold dot! My favorite reticle.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote