THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    When hunting in Africa, do you "have" to use Factory Ammo?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When hunting in Africa, do you "have" to use Factory Ammo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted
......OR can one use handloaded ammunition??? I have read contradicting information on this and am curious. bewildered

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
According to many posters here, you have to have ammunition that is headstamped for the rifles you are temporarily importing. I hunted RSA in 2004 using handloads only but of the two calibers I had, both carried the correct headstamp.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
No

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Many airlines state in their policies that ammo must be in the orginal manufactures box. Since I am the manufacture my reloading box's are the orginal boxes. Most of the people at the airlines don't want to see the ammo, but just want to confirm that you stay below the 11 lb ( 5 kg) weight limit.
In Tanzania last Oct the customs guys just wanted to know how many rounds I was bringing with me and did not want to see them. They did check the calber stamp on the barrels though.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
woodracer ----- Where did you read that you cannot use handloaded ammo in Africa. You are talking on AR with thousands of reloaders, most of whom hunt Africa. ----- I am not trying to be smart aleck about it, perhaps you asked the wrong question. Maybe it should have been, "do hunters in Africa have to use ammo headstamped to the chambering of the rifle they carry". Just wondering, maybe you could explain. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck32:
Many airlines state in their policies that ammo must be in the orginal manufactures box. Since I am the manufacture my reloading box's are the orginal boxes. Most of the people at the airlines don't want to see the ammo, but just want to confirm that you stay below the 11 lb ( 5 kg) weight limit.
In Tanzania last Oct the customs guys just wanted to know how many rounds I was bringing with me and did not want to see them. They did check the calber stamp on the barrels though.

There are no requirements for factory ammo that I am aware of. The airline requirement of having ammo in orginal manfacturer's boxes is a joke. Basically, if you have them stored in a reasonable manner (i.e. not single cases thrown into a suitcase), you'll be fine. I hate to generalize but most airline customer service agents cannot even spell "ammunition" let alone verify its packaging.

You should adhere to weight limits and any restrictions on the # of rounds you bring into the country where you will hunt.

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of no African country that will not let you bring in handloaded ammo. I know of no African wildlife agency that requires you to use factory ammo. I know of no Safari firm that requires you to use factory ammo. In 9 sfaris I have never used a round of factory ammo except for some 22 WMR ammo used to shoot doves.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
In 4 safaris, me either!

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:

woodracer ----- Where did you read that you cannot use handloaded ammo in Africa. You are talking on AR with thousands of reloaders, most of whom hunt Africa. ----- I am not trying to be smart aleck about it, perhaps you asked the wrong question. Maybe it should have been, "do hunters in Africa have to use ammo headstamped to the chambering of the rifle they carry". Just wondering, maybe you could explain. wave Good shooting.

Honestly, it just seems like I read THAT "a ways back" and was tring to get input.

Maybe you are correct in me not stating my question correctly: Do hunters in Africa have to use ammo headstamped to the chambering of the rifle they carry?

I was reading the thread in the Big Bore forum about the .550 Magnum (a .460 WBY. necked straight for the .550 diameter bullet) and it sounds just about like the perfect Big Bore. Easily obtainable brass, and one HELL of a bore size and SERIOUS "thumpability!!!" That started me wondering if there were rules in place in Africa keeping a hunter from "let's say" using a wildcat for hunting. bewildered

In this caliber's case, the head stamp and barrel stamp would NOT match. homer

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
It has been reported that on occasion in Botswana a hunter whose ammunition was not headstamped with the same caliber as his rifle had problems. However, I am not aware of any other country where this has been considered illegal. Last time I used my .318 WR whose ammunition is headstamped 30/06 in both Mozambique and in RSA with neither problem nor even comment. I think your anxieties are groundless.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldsarge:

I think your anxieties are groundless.

Good to hear!!! sofa

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with handloads with no trouble at all.

Todd

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I've yet to meet that mythical man whose ammo was refused entry because the case markings didn't match the barrel markings. It's an oft repeated story that may have had some basis in reality at one point in time, but it's always related to me as having happened to a friend of a friend of friend, etc.

I've had my ammo weighed (Houston), glanced at (Botswana), and counted (Tanzania) but have never had anyone examine it close enough to see what what the markings are. Most of the time, no one has ever asked to see it.

I've fired a good number of cartridges in Africa; but only two rounds of factory 375 solids that I needed to borrow in a hurry, and a few boxes of factory 12 gauge shells. All the rest were reloads. For me, it's half the fun of getting ready to go.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Woodsracer,

The only concern about handloads that I have seen expressed were those stating its a not a good idea to use any neck-sized handloads (in lieu of a full-length sized case) as there exists a 1/100000000 chance that something could go wrong with a case that wasn't properly sized. I usually neck size everything I hunt with and have never had a problem. Who knows? I'd bet that as long as you knew what the hell you were doing when you did your load development, you won't have any problems...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with handloads every time I've gone to Africa. No problem at all.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There are some countries in Africa (RSA being one) that only allows the hunter to import ammo if it matches the calibre of a firearm that's being imported at the same time. Therefore if the headstamps don't match then a contientious or bloody minded cop Wink just might not allow the ammo in.

International aviation law (carriage of dangerous goods) state that all ammunition must be packed in manufacturers packaging that allows each round to be stored in it's own seperate compartment and not be able to come into contact with any other round.

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

International aviation law (carriage of dangerous goods) state that all ammunition must be packed in manufacturers packaging that allows each round to be stored in it's own seperate compartment and not be able to come into contact with any other round.

I guess that means that using MTM plastic "boxes" are out??? Frowner

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess that means that using MTM plastic "boxes" are out???

Why? They have their own separate compartment.

The intent of the rules is so you don't put 100 rounds in a brown paper lunch sack, roll it up and place in your checked baggage.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
I guess that means that using MTM plastic "boxes" are out???

Why? They have their own separate compartment.

The intent of the rules is so you don't put 100 rounds in a brown paper lunch sack, roll it up and place in your checked baggage.

All---right---ty then, I guess that I'm set; it's just not "factory boxes!" thumb lol

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
MTM boxes are perfectly acceptable and I've used them for years..... some airlines have lately started to also insist that ammo (as per the previous specification) then be stored in a lockable (sometimes metal) box...... this isn't a legal requirement as per Air Navigation Orders etc. It's just an airline regulation that must have been invented by a moron who doesn't know which ways up........

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
MTM boxes are perfectly acceptable and I've used them for years..... some airlines have lately started to also insist that ammo (as per the previous specification) then be stored in a lockable (sometimes metal) box...... this isn't a legal requirement as per Air Navigation Orders etc. It's just an airline regulation that must have been invented by a moron who doesn't know which ways up........

Could you use a surplus MILITARY 30 cal. ammo can to "lock" the MTMs into? OR is this a NO-NO since it is a "military" box????? bewildered

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm.... Like I said it's an airline rule rather than law, so I guess it all depends on the airline......or possibly the individual check in agent..... why not paint the ammo box in a non-military colour and then they probably wouldn't even recognise it as military. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just use a simple cash box available at any office supply store. Inexpensive and it works fine. It's also a good place to store my knife and any other personal items that may be prohibited in carry on baggage (but not prohibited in checked baggage). Back when I went in 2005 nail clippers and scissors were prohibited in carry on, for example. I think the rules have been relaxed a little since then.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:

why not paint the ammo box in a non-military colour and then they probably wouldn't even recognise it as military. Wink

I have a can of NEON ORANGE just sitting on the shelf. lol

quote:
I just use a simple cash box available at any office supply store. Inexpensive and it works fine.

Now that's a GREAT IDEA!!! thumb THANKS!!!

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"