THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How do you carry your rifle when crawling/slithering?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you carry your rifle when crawling/slithering?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Figured I would ask here since a lot of you are experienced so probably have had to crawl at some point in hunting.

How do you carry your rifle when you are crawling? I've seen people both hold it barrel forward in one hand and just keep most of their weight on the other hand, kind of like a tripod balance? The other way I have seen was on the Dangerous Game show when one guy laid his rifle across the crooks of his arms so it was totally protected from the ground and had it that way.

I had to do it once and having never practiced went with the tripod balance method, but didn't really like it and thought it was awkward.

Also whats the fastest way to bring it to bear from a crawl?

thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Just like the military training from 45 years ago Eeker. Craddled in in your arms. If you have to flatten against the ground, the weapon is still protected.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
Just like the military training from 45 years ago Eeker. Craddled in in your arms. If you have to flatten against the ground, the weapon is still protected.

They still taught it 25 years ago as well.It works well!

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I never was in the military so never got taught any of the rifle stuff. don't know how to shoot with a sling either.

I plan on practicing this, at least enough to get comfortable with it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
Actually I was taught another method by the USMC as well, for when you are in a real tight low crawl. You're fully flat on the ground - your arm is extended out at your side with bent elbow and flat on the ground as well - the rifle lays on on top of your arm with your hand between the rifle and sling and your thumb hooked around the forward sling swivel. It's way easier to do than I can explain it. bewildered The "cradle" method was what we used when in a "high crawl."

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If a flat-bellied crawl is not necessary, it can be done another way that is better and faster into action.

It is possible in some terrain to crab-walk with the rifle in your lap. When you get into position, all you have to do is sit down and bring the rifle up for a shot from the sitting position.

I recommend wearing gloves for this maneuver, since your hands will bear a lot of your weight.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
As adpls said, resting over the top of your arm and grasping the sling works great. You will not want to do this with a nice wood stock since much of the stock will be on the ground. Works great on the old A2, but not so good with a Dakota!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've crab crawled, arm cradled and also adjusted my sling so I could secure the rifle over my back and crawl.

Always wear gloves!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hands and knees works best for me, when there is some grass for cover. In that case, the rifle is slung across my chest bbl pointing forward toward the game so no reflections. If you need to belly-crawl, putting the rifle cross-ways between the insides of your elbows (mil style) works but the sun (if there is any) will flash on the bbl/stock as the rifle sways from side to side and you will be made, for sure. Laying alongside as AKPLS says would be much better. Perhaps there is a way to lay it between your shoulder blades, muzzle to rear. Never tried that.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Concur with the prior posts. One other method I have used when crawling was to hang the sling over your neck, the gun hanging scope down in front of your arms. Did this on a stalk for eland and briefly on a stalk for lechwe, though eventually had to belly crawl and craddled in my arms.

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Smiler ALthough belly crawling gets me really low, it's not worked well with branches, sticks or lots of dead leaves on the ground, as far as being quiet. My few stalks going in for buffalo have been scooting along on my rear, gun cradled in my lap. That has been low enough to work, yet allows me to 4-point "step" (using my gloved hands) or hoist my behind over something noisy. I also like being able to see what's going on around me in this position.

I have low-crawled to get out of a buffalo situation before - once was enough, thank you. Eeker

I guess the best method is the one you can execute most readily under the situation. Aging knees don't help my duck walking these days !!

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was taught the same methods as akpls..another very important consideration when using any of these methods is muzzle safety...when your crawling you will usually be following the PH and may have somebody behind you...

Its also a good idea to put a bit of insulation tape over the muzzle in case it gets poked in the soil..only a single thickness is required (more could be dangerous)and it has no effect on accuracy or point of impact ect..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote