New
Find
Notify
Tools

FIRST LION HUNT
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in the first stages of planning my first African Lion hunt.Where is the best country and area I should be looking at for a successful "big mane" lion hunt? I know this will not be an easy goal to accomplish. How many days should I plan the hunt to give myself a good opportunity for success? I have been saving a long time for this. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Posts: 64 | Location: Annapolis,MD | Registered: 17 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Capstick, hands down the best place to hunt for lion is in Tanzania or Zambia. In Tanzania you will need to do a 21-day safari for lion, but the upside to that is that you also get a full bag hunt. You can also do a lion hunt in Zambia for 16-18 days as well. Tanzania you can book your lion hunt for still this year or next year if you want to go soon. As far as I know Zambia is pretty much booked up on the lion hunts until 2006 or 2007. The reason for Zambia being so full is that they do offer shorter hunting days for lion.

I still think though that Tanzania is the best. We took the new #4 lion last year as well. If you would like the details for Tanzania or Zambia just send me an e-mail.

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
not one of us
posted Hide Post
Just do your homework when you choose your outfitter.
Be leery and check references!!!!!!!

Avoid those types pushing canned hunts!

Posts: 451 | Location: no where | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Capstick,

There is some good information on this previous thread: http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=100358&Forum=

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Take it from one who has tried, cheap lion hunts are cheap for a reason. I have been on two dedicated lion hunts, and two "semi-serious" lion hunts where other animals were the focus of the hunt (not counting a Tanzania hunt that was canceled by the company last year with less than two weeks to departure). I have yet to see what I considered a "good shootable lion". I have great hopes on my return to finish a hunt started last month in Zim (hopefully going back in June).

If you can allow 21 days for the hunt, by all means do so. I think that I might have been able to get a lion in Tanz, but I was only in camp for 16 days including the two transfer days (I did have a 21 day license). We finally found fresh lion and buffalo tracks on the last hunting day, but did not have time to really hunt them.

Whatever you do CHECK REFERENCES AND SUCCESS RATES FROM RECENT HUNTS . This can not be emphasized enough.

Good luck,
Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
CAPSTICK,

You'll find a list of which species you can take on a 21 day licence in Tanzania on my website.

...... I'll second Jim's comment about cheap Lion hunts....the reason they're cheap is that they're mostly unsuccessful, and I'll add to it by saying you should avoid RSA like the plague for this type of hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CAPSTICK,

I'll second all the comments others have made. Also you should know that you will need to dedicate your safari to killing the lion. Other than shooting baits you'll need to be religiously checking and refreshing baits until the lion is in the salt. This is not always all that entertaining when you are dragging rotting carcasses around in the vehicle and go day after day with no hits on your baits.

Another thing you need to think about is are you willing to shoot a lion that is not fully mature. Particularly on your first attempt it will be hard to not shoot when a big animal with a full collar is on the bait.

Lion hunting is a great adventure and certainly not a slam dunk. Plan well and book with a company that actually kills some mature lions. 100% success does not equal big, mature and full maned lions.

I have some ideas on who can provide you a great experience if you are interested.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Capstick, check out "Speaking of Lions" a previous thread.
There is some very good lion information.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=98966&Forum=

Kathi

kathi@wldtravel.com

Posts: 9373 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in a novel way to hunt lion, I can set you up with a tracking hunt in the Kalahari (Northern Cape) with an outstanding PH. Maned lion are expen$ive, but females are very reasonable. This is the most exciting way to hunt lion as you know what's at the end of the tracks. The quarry could be behind every bush and it could be quite a walk. Your nerves will need a vacation when you are done, believe me. And there is no need (or requirement) for a 21 day or 18 day hunt. A week is all you need.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote