THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    suggestions for suppressor for .375 H and H

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

suggestions for suppressor for .375 H and H
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted
After shooting a suppressed 7 mag this year in Namibia, I have fallen in love with suppressors. They are so pleasant to shoot and much nicer on everyone's ears. I bought one for my 30.06 and had barrel threaded. Love it. They are relatively expensive and take a long time to get the tax stamps for each individual suppressor. I would like to get one that connects over the barrel that I can use on a 375 H and H, .338 win mag and 300 RUM. Would be easier and cheaper than threading all the barrels and not have to get an adapter for the suppressor. Bowers makes one that you have to thread the barrels, but can use on multiple rifles with thread in adapters. Any suggestions for an over the barrel quick connect that can handle a .375 H and H?
Thanks much for your responses

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally don't really care for the added length. All my suppressed rifles have barrels no longer than eighteen inches. IMO that doesn't work out well on the calibers you mention. Especially a 300Rum.

But why deal with the adaptor? Use direct threads and skip the adaptor, just thread the barrel.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have put suppressors on some rifles, they do sound quieter.

But, the added weight at the muzzle make them undesirable for me to use for hunting.

They are very easy to make for any competent gunsmith.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68612 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just about all UK rifles use moderators as we call them over here. They all need the end of the barrel threading, including those that are over the barrel.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
While suppressors can be made for virtually any caliber, there's been no real market for the .375. There are plenty for the .338, mainly due to folks wanting to suppress the ,338 Lapua. Unless things have changed, to get a readily available suppressor for a .375, you would probably need to get one made for a 50 BMG. I'm guessing those are rather large ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A .50 cal can would not be practical, as noted by nhoro. However, the SilencerCo Hybrid will work, so long as your barrel is at least 18 inches. SilencerCo has already confirmed that a .375 Ruger will work with that barrel length restriction, which isn't really a restriction of any meaning, given that no one cuts a .375 that short. As you know, a .375 Ruger carries a touch more powder than an H&H. Here's the link: https://silencerco.com/hybrid-46

SiCo makes good cans. This one weighs just over a pound and just under 8 inches long. If you cut your barrel down to 19 or 20 inches and use the included 5/8-24 direct thread module, it won't be too clumsy. You're going to have to thread your barrel with the Hybrid, but frankly, I've never heard of a rifle can that doesn't require threading, and I can't imagine that such a fit would reliably align and avoid baffle strikes. The Hybrid will work fine with your .300 RUM and .338 Win. Mag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend had a BR Toute T8 on a Remington in .375H&H, they just ran an expanding reamer through it from .338cal
An Ase Ultra S7 may work also, they're built like a T72 tank, but may feel overly heavy on a long barrel.
lt's do-able if you're happy with the extra length and weight. Try taping a tin of soup on to the muzzle and see what you think.

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There are several suppressors here in Norway for .375 but of course that wont help you in the US since you cant buy foreign made suppressors.

It seems almost all focus on suppressors in the US are for a "tactical" use, and not hunting like in Europe, so you are kinda stuck with 5.56/7.62/.338 calibers (and some .50 BMG monsters).

Hopefully that will change

Posts: 74 | Location: Norway | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent you a PM. There is a suppressor on the market that would probably work but I agree with the threaded comments. There is a guy in NC near Dallas, NC who could thread your barrel. There is a can that can handle anything from 45 down. Check your PM's. I was hunting this weekend in one of the most exclusive sub divisions in the country with a group of SF friends and we all used tactical suppressors. No one knew were around. Smiler

York, SC