Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zebra Skin Question
 Login/Join

posted
We finally got our trophies back from our hunt 2 years ago in Namibia. Everything is hung up except our skins. We have 2 Zebra skins, a Hartman's and a Burchell's mounted on felt. They are big and heavy. How do people hang them on their walls?

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Mine is on the floor. After a year of two kids, a dog, and a vacume it's doing pretty well. I just don't have room on the wall.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CB

My zebra rug is on the floor in the vestibule. It gets walked on every day by everybody. A simple vaccuuming seems to keep in in good shape.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12975 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
If you want to hang it on the wall you can use heavy duty tacks or small nails.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
My wife's Burchell's Zebra skin (felt backed and stuffed with just a small amount of filling) is hung on the entry wall of our home. We were surprised at how much real estate it covered!

Any good-sized hardware store will sell colored finishing nails in white and black. I gently hammered them through the skin and backing at the top of the hide and through the felt backing only at the sides and bottom. It is working well and the colored nails virtually disappear against the hide and the black backing.

One recommendation I'd make is to secure the top of the hide to the wall, then let the skin hang for a couple of weeks before securing the sides and bottom. That way things have some time to stretch and settle.

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried hanging mine on the wall with just tacks/staples, but it never would lay flat. I bought a 4x8 sheet of hardboard (about 1/8" thick but very rigid) and cut it to the shape of the top of the rug. Then, stapled the felt under the skin to the hardboard. Then I just hung the hardboard with a couple of drywall screws, and the skin just draped flat against the wall.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used thumb tacks painted black just in the felt... Takes two people... or finish nails through the hide. both work.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a Hartmann's zebra and a black bear on our walls with Velcro. We use industrial self-adhesive Velcro, hook side, 2" wide cut in roughly 6" strips and stuck to the wall. It takes a bunch of them and we have found each on the floor after a few years.
It was trial and error. The good thing is, there are no holes in the hides. They hang from the felt stuck to the hooks in the Velcro. It was suggested by my taxidermist and I'm happy with the system.
It takes two people to do it and you'll have to re-paint for sure if you take them down or move them, but you'd probably have to any other way.

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Camarillo Brillp:
We finally got our trophies back from our hunt 2 years ago in Namibia. Everything is hung up except our skins. We have 2 Zebra skins, a Hartman's and a Burchell's mounted on felt. They are big and heavy. How do people hang them on their walls?

You must take the skin of the Zebra they will be much lighter lol

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote