New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI- crossing the line
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We booked rooms for next year in Reno while we were in Vegas. We often have some function for our friends. We made an inquiry about having such a function. We have had several such functions in the past. We received the following in an e mail. I am floored. Now SCI has to approve my function.

Hello! I am one of the event managers for Safari Club. Attached please find out current catering menu to help you with pricing. All subgroups for Safari have to be approved by the Safari Club contact. If you could please give me details of your event I will see if I can get it approved and then reach back out to you.

Thank you,

Nicole K. Parker
Catering & Sales Manager

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They must want to ensure it meets their written standards for an ethical function.

Can't be too careful you know! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you freakin kidding me??? I don't even know what to say to that Larry....except, never mind I won't say it!

What a joke!faint

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you apply to SCI?

If you would have made the enquiry directly to the hotel, I doubt they would have any involvement. Sounds like the folks at the Reno booth at the convention thought you want an official SCI event, or a cut rate as part of an SCI event.

Frankly, I didn’t have a clue why Reno had a booth there for the next convention. It sounds like you confused some minimum wage hire as to what you wanted... I hope...

In a way it may be SCI trying to prove to sites how much business they bring and trying to get better deals. Frankly, I don’t understand it, but everyone wants to collect data and sell it nowadays...

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Did you apply to SCI?

If you would have made the enquiry directly to the hotel, I doubt they would have any involvement. Sounds like the folks at the Reno booth at the convention thought you want an official SCI event, or a cut rate as part of an SCI event.

Frankly, I didn’t have a clue why Reno had a booth there for the next convention. It sounds like you confused some minimum wage hire as to what you wanted... I hope...

In a way it may be SCI trying to prove to sites how much business they bring and trying to get better deals. Frankly, I don’t understand it, but everyone wants to collect data and sell it nowadays...

This response came from hotel staff.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And you told them it has nothing to do with SCI, I hope.

Who knows, maybe it has something to do with keeping antis out of the venue and avoiding “protests”

Still sounds like someone has a crossed wire and assumes because you signed up at SCI it is a part of SCI. My experience is never assume malign intent when simple stupidity is more likely...

Wink

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the young lady's response to my inquiry:

Hi there! The reason they have to approve is because they have all the space booked. They have every square inch of our property booked. So they have to agree to release the space and say that they won’t be using it. I don’t think it will be an issue I just have to let you know that I have to get it approved so I can release the space.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I guess from the Hotel's perspective it makes sense. It appears they don't intentionally overbook like the airlines do :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
I guess from the Hotel's perspective it makes sense. It appears they don't intentionally overbook like the airlines do :-)

Are you guys serious? Maybe Larry should ask what bathrooms his guests can use? What about the elevators, or maybe if it's ok if they use the valet - according to SCI.

Last time I checked Reno is in the USA, not communist China - and Larry is a paying customer too.

WOW!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I read Larry's email to mean he was requesting to reserve a small banquet room or similar space in the venue. If all the banquet rooms are already reserved, the response he received from the hotel would not be inappropriate..

I have done trade shows where we lock up the entire venue - not unusual...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually Aaron, it sounds like right of first refusal.

Larry is free to tell them to stuff it and go elsewhere. Once he gets the spot, then I think he gets some rights.

That isn't to say I would want to do business with them, but it's hardly the power of government here... there are other hotels.

But I was wrong, it wasn't simple stupidity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Actually Aaron, it sounds like right of first refusal.

Larry is free to tell them to stuff it and go elsewhere. Once he gets the spot, then I think he gets some rights.

That isn't to say I would want to do business with them, but it's hardly the power of government here... there are other hotels.

But I was wrong, it wasn't simple stupidity.

Ok....but his original post says he was contacted by the events manager from "Safari Club"? If Larry says otherwise, and this is strictly a hotel issue - then so be it? Otherwise, he should be free to hold any sort of gathering he see's fit, especially if he's paying for it. Which knowing Larry....I'm sure he is.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We need more clarification, but let me share with you what I know about such matters after significant experience in special event planning.

It is not uncommon for an organization to encumber ALL available public spaces throughout the hotel at which they are holding their mtg / convention. This protects them from "poachers" who are in the same industry, but who do not wish to pay to be an exhibitor.

Here's a hypothetical: gun maker X does not intend to exhibit at SCI, but books a small public room at the same hotel, at the same time. Then he begins to send out emails and ads that he "will be at SCI", just not in the exhibit hall. His intent is to draw from SCI without paying the tab to be an exhibitor.

People try this all the time, and both the hotel industry and experienced convention planners know the trick. Hence, they lock up ALL the available public space when they sign the contract, and usually add clause(s) that allow them to decide who gets to use any "available" public space during the time of the convention.

Don't know if this helps, or is relevant to your situation, but it's a possible explanation.

Now, if you choose to hold your event in your own suite, which you have paid for, you are entitled to do this without any interference from SCI, or the hotel.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me recap this.

First, I have stayed at the Peppermill during the convention numerous times. On multiple occasions, I have had private functions. Not once in past years has any approval of anyone been required.

This year:

1- We book our room for the 2019 convention in Reno at the Peppermill.

2- We tell the young lady that we want to have another private function.

3- I get the e mail posted above from HOTEL staff incorrectly identifying themselves as SCI staff.

4- I question this.

5- I get a second e mail clarifying that SCI has reserved the entire place. They have to get approval.

To be clear, this is NOT a case of overbooking. This is a case of SCI making sure enough rooms are available.

How far does this go given the young lady's description? If I want to make dinner reservations for me and my wife, do I need SCI's approval? If I want to use the gym, do I need SCI's approval? If I want to sit down at a blackjack table do I need SCI's approval?

After all, she did say that did have every square inch of their property booked.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I am betting anyone you would invite to a private gathering at SCI will also be at DSC. Cancel your function ( and everything else) at SCI and move it to DSC. Then notify SCI what you have done and tell them to go f—-k themselves. The whole idea of getting SCI approval for a private function is repulsive in the extreme.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are in agreement there sir.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
SCI is already in gutter!

Now they are getting even lower in the sewers!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of being eaten alive I would like to offer my humble opinion. I'm just a working stiff who has made one Africa trip and headed for my second this summer. Have attended two SCI shows and one DSC in my life. Almost feel guilty taking vendors time because I'm not the big money client they need that books a few hunts every year.
Really enjoy AR and have learned a lot. I don't work in this industry but have to agree with AWL. I would have been highly surprised if SCI hadn't booked the entire public space. I'm sure none of you would have enjoyed an anti hunting group renting a public space and holding a mini convention of there own. They should control the experience.
I know that there seems to be a lot of anti SCI on this site. Kind of like the anti Trump crowd, no matter what he does someone is against it. It is one thing to disagree but eating our own in public isn't helping the cause. It seems the first reaction some take is assume that SCI did this to screw someone. Let's work together and support the big picture.
Sorry to intrude.

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the risk of being eaten alive I would like to offer my humble opinion. I'm just a working stiff who has made one Africa trip and headed for my second this summer. Have attended two SCI shows and one DSC in my life. Almost feel guilty taking vendors time because I'm not the big money client they need that books a few hunts every year.
Really enjoy AR and have learned a lot. I don't work in this industry but have to agree with AWL. I would have been highly surprised if SCI hadn't booked the entire public space. I'm sure none of you would have enjoyed an anti hunting group renting a public space and holding a mini convention of there own. They should control the experience.
I know that there seems to be a lot of anti SCI on this site. Kind of like the anti Trump crowd, no matter what he does someone is against it. It is one thing to disagree but eating our own in public isn't helping the cause. It seems the first reaction some take is assume that SCI did this to screw someone. Let's work together and support the big picture.
Sorry to intrude

Mature Thinking -- very well presented - love it when a guy first uses his frontal cortex to plan strategy formulate an action plan- and works a concept forward in a big picture -long view format -- THANK YOU FOR THE POST - What makes this site so valuable - no place for emotional reaction here we are fighting a propaganda war and wildlife conservation is what's at stake- still I must say - SCI - has gone political edging up on a well run religion - Personally I am not a fan and have much the same guttural reaction to much of SCI.s actions that J DOLLAR points out - repulsive indeed - we are in this thing together boys -- together for better or worse

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot1961:
Sorry to intrude.

I will confirm your logic with experience. I am a member of the AfricaHunting.com forum. I guess I might even be considered one of "Jerome's cronies" as one person put it in another thread. I say that because I started what has now become an annual event where AH has a dinner at DSC. This started in 2013. That first year we had no more than 20 people attend. This year we had approximately 175.

We of course got to this number in steps. As the dinner attendance grew we went from putting a bunch of tables together in a restaurant's general dining area to needing a booked room that was large enough to accomodate the size of our group.

At one point we had the "great" idea of trying to get a conference room at the Omni. Logistically it made the most sense as guests would just walk out of the convention hall and into the Omni. But unfortunately the Omni told me all the rooms had been booked out by DSC and I would have to work through them.

So I called DSC to see if we could get this arranged. The polite lady I spoke to kind of put it bluntly, something to the effect of "Why would we allow you to book a room in the Omni for your dinner which would in effect encourage your attendees to not attend one of the DSC evening functions?"

Well duh is about all I could think to say.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I might even be considered one of "Jerome's cronies" as one person put it in another thread.

This likely explains why after 529 posts you are still a "new member" whereas anyone else is "one of us" after 25 posts. animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This likely explains why after 529 posts you are still a "new member" whereas anyone else is "one of us" after 25 posts

Not what his profile states. Wink

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having grown up in Reno, that's weird. But look at it this way - there are lots of hotels in town!

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of good options outside of the Peppermill to host an event in Reno. I was somewhat surprised by the response Larry got although having read some of the other posts understand some of the factors going into the decision (Such as antis hosting an event).

One option that immediately comes to mind is Brick's restaurant which is only a couple of blocks from the Peppermill. They have private rooms available and the food is consistently good.

Not sure what exactly you're looking for as far as your event goes but I know a number of restaurant and bar owners in Reno and will happily provide any assistance needed as I have always enjoyed Larry's posts.

Feel free to PM me.

Jason

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaglav:
There are plenty of good options outside of the Peppermill to host an event in Reno. I was somewhat surprised by the response Larry got although having read some of the other posts understand some of the factors going into the decision (Such as antis hosting an event).

One option that immediately comes to mind is Brick's restaurant which is only a couple of blocks from the Peppermill. They have private rooms available and the food is consistently good.

Not sure what exactly you're looking for as far as your event goes but I know a number of restaurant and bar owners in Reno and will happily provide any assistance needed as I have always enjoyed Larry's posts.

Feel free to PM me.

Jason

Thanks. What pissed me off is that I have done the exact same thing before with no questions at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like the sweet aroma of cigarette smoke everywhere, you will love the Peppermill. I was there last year - never again. My clothes still stink from the smoke.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
ijl: Great to see you post occasionally. Enjoyed my last African Hunter Magazine. You do a great job!

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
SCI uses an event planner. This is probably a result of the event planner telling the hotel that something like private parties must go thru them. Find out who the event planner is and talk with them. Good luck.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I am betting anyone you would invite to a private gathering at SCI will also be at DSC. Cancel your function ( and everything else) at SCI and move it to DSC. Then notify SCI what you have done and tell them to go f—-k themselves. The whole idea of getting SCI approval for a private function is repulsive in the extreme.

You can tell them that but, SCI doesn't give a flying f--k and probably never will.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The more I hear about those brain dead idiots running SCI the more I dislike them.

They have absolutely ZERO common sense or real interest in real hunting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH MY, THINGS HAVE CHANGED!

Saddest words ever spoken, "But that's how I always done it."

That's the logic my 13 yr. old daughter uses.

I don't care about SCI or their politics like the majority most sentient beings. But if you don't like the way they run their show don't go. There have been some exceedingly reasonable explanations and actual experiences proffered, as to why this situation has occurred.

So in conclusion did SCI "cross the line" or "draw a line?" I for am waiting on the edge of my seat to find out.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
going back into the 1970's i really enjoyed sci - then it was comprised of hunters who enjoyed hunting meetings were all about hunting where when and what for.. People were always eager to help fellow hunters. But then egos and money wet in talks changed from hunting to stock brokers i quit then

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I heard that about NRA from many, but who else will bat for us?
I for one like SCI for what they trying to accomplish
Nobody is perfect except me...I’ll leave it at that ...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
HOLY SMOKE....talk about "the Long Arm of the LAW??!!"

Well, Larry, how big do you expect your event to be??

Most Outfitters in the old days in Reno would just book a big Suite, use it for accommodations, and host nightly "open house" events for invited folks....this worked out great...hosted and served bar and eats...very nice venue!!
I cannot believe that SCI would have ALL SUITES booked up??!!
If that is the case for Peppermill being the Host Hotel...move down to the Silver Legacy which is a nicer Hotel anyway...ride the shuttles each day...but it does make your guests travel further...
GOOD LUCK with this CHARADE!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
I heard that about NRA from many, but who else will bat for us?
I for one like SCI for what they trying to accomplish
Nobody is perfect except me...I’ll leave it at that ...

What they are trying to accomplish is to convince idiots to pay fees to enter “trophies”in the wild game birds of the world and pay for a stupid trophy or ring. Too bad there are fools willing to pay up. The only charade is that SCI tries to pass itself off as first for hunters....It is first for freebies for board members.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere in the range of 30-50.

I just got an e mail tonight . They expect to have it approved soon.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What am I missing?

SCI have booked the entire hotel.

One can’t expect the hotel to double book function rooms. It’s only natural that they would have to check with the party having priority.

Also, I’m not saying that this is the case, but booking everything seems to me to be a nice strategy for keeping PETA and other wackos off the premises.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the same experience with this.

The hotel event's manager informed me that when SCI sign contracts with the hotel to reserve blocks of room for the convention, one of the conditions was that any meeting rooms booked would not compete with their convention. I could book a bachelor party but not a gathering of hunting friends....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have no approval for my function.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
What am I missing?

SCI have booked the entire hotel.

One can’t expect the hotel to double book function rooms. It’s only natural that they would have to check with the party having priority.

Also, I’m not saying that this is the case, but booking everything seems to me to be a nice strategy for keeping PETA and other wackos off the premises.

I do not disagree. However, when we made our reservations at the convention and made the inquiries at the same time,the chances of us being antis are slim to none.