Find
Notify
Tools

Green Hills of Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted
I have a book I'm considering selling if someone wants it bad enough. It's a first edition copy of Green Hills of Africa in very good condition. The spine is a tad faded and there is a small oil spot about the size of a quarter. Also, someone has written in fountain pen "To Grandpa, Christmas 1942, Mollie" on the inside cover. Pm me with offers. It wasn't cheap when I bought it. I have a newer copy and am trying to raise funds for guess what? Africa.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is it worth or could be bought for on the antiquarian market?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
Honestly I have no idea. I would rather have someone on here have it than someone on ebay that might not appreciate it as much. I know of a rare books dealer in Atlanta, and the next time I go downtown I'll have him look at it for an appraisal. That should be in the next week.

One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
Also, I just found out I'm going to be a dad again today, so it's not as important as it was to me yesterday. I'll still check this out as soon as I can.

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jriley:
Also, I just found out I'm going to be a dad again today...

Jim,

Let me be the first to congratulate you! That's great news. Call or e-mail me with the details.

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
To which I'll "second"

Congratulations!

As for the book, I won't try to get ahead of your other inquiries, but do let me know if it doesn't pan out.

Again, congratulations,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
Thanks George, it was not expected.
I've been on websites and first edition copies of Green Hills of Africa sell for between $16,000 for signed copies and a low of around $1,200. I would entertain any and all offers as long as they are not ridiculously low.
Here is a link:

One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am out.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
That is great new. I have two 1st edition copies given to me by a family friend.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
does it have the 'A' on it or??? Scribners books denoted printings by a letter on the copyright page. For example a book could be first edition, second printing. In that case there would be a B. I have a first edition, 'W' oprinting of Old MAn and the Sea, this is NOT a true first edition. Also, you mwntion the spine is faded, does this mean there is no dust jacket?? These things can impact, in a major way, the collector value of books. Also, abebooks.com is a very good place to get current market values. Kind of like ebau without the hype of auction. Powells books in POrtland oregon is another good source for value as is Quill and Ink in Bethesda Maryland.

_Best, BB

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I think a low price of 1200 may be a little optimistic. I have seen true first edition's in VG condition (with the uppercase A) w/o the dust jacket at around 350 recently and VG with the dj for around 900 if there is writing in it.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
When I bought it I was told it was a first edition by the seller. There is only one date on it, 1935. It was published by Scribner's. Of course, the inscription says it was a gift in 1942. There are no letters on the copyright page, and nowhere does it say "first edition." It does have the gilt Ernest Hemingway signature on the cover.
If it's not worth a lot I think I'll keep the book.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
It may be a first edition but not the first printing of the first edition. If it was the first printing it would have an uppercase A beneath the copyright paragraph. Wgere are you located?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hey, why not go on Antiques Roadshow with the book? clap wave They'll tell you how much its worth!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a first edition, first printing ("A") of "For Whom The Bell Tolls." Has an inscription on an inside page (NOT HEMINGWAY's), in very good condition. No dust jacket.

One at ABEbooks was listed at $550. It did not state whether or not it was a "First Printing."

FWIW. L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote