Find
Notify
Tools

Leaving a Rifle in Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
I've been asked to do this, and I know the question comes up ocassionally.

Wondering if anyone has done this recently and whether they have gotten an export permit, how much hassle it was, time lag required, etc.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I would never be one to suggest bending the rules...however i suspect there is a ton of paper work.

But I suspect rifles have been forgotten in Africa before

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope never tried it, can't be done.. Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Being a typical armchair lawyer I would guess that there are only two ways a rifle can stay legally in Africa: 1) it is sold legally, 2) it is entrusted legally to a third party but remains your property. Number 3 is that the weapon is stolen or lost in Africa. For number 1 you need the export licence and the buyer probably has a mountain of paperwork to do for you (authorization to import) to obtain the export licence. For number 2, unless the person taking care of the rifle has diplomatic immunity (embassy staff for example) or has very close relations with authorizing authorities (some PH's maintain cordial relationships with these people) then it probably can't be done legally. In RSA you have to take your rifle out when you leave the country and I would guess entrusting it to a "friend" is now out the question. Number 3 is of course outside of the legal approaches.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

I've gone thru the legal route to obtain an export license. Any US citizen may do this one time as an exception to the export laws. It's not easy, but the biggest pain in the ass was actually transporting the rifle to the foreign country. As you'd be carrying it with you to Africa, that part would be taken care of without having to hire a shipping company.

It ain't easy, but you can do it one time for free. After that you have to hire someone who's a registered exporter. Last I saw, the guv'ment charged about $600 per year for that. PM or email me if you want any specifics.

Brian

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Transfering it to the guy in Zim would be no problem, I'm just trying to CMA on this end.

B Doerr,

Please e-mail me so I have your e-mail address. PM's are a pain!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I went the leagal route and sent 2 rifles to Zimbabwe. I was permitted to export 2 rifles on the one time exception export license. This special license is for people who are moving to the country or for gifts to people who are in the country. Not particularly bad paper work but I had to have a letter from the Zimbabwe embassy that the recipients were if fact professional hunters and could own the rifles in question (a 375 Mdl 70ss and a custom 458 Lott). They must have import permits and licenses for the rifles on the Zim end. This turned out to be a problem for one as Zimbabwe froze the issue of new licenses. They held the rifle in customs there and then sold it at auction which is hard to understand as there was a freeze on licenses and the guy who bought it could not legally own it either. Zim politics. This is once in a lifetime permit exception so I cannot get another. Shipping was easy just use the USPS.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
I am a complete newbie when it comes to Africa, so bear with me on this. What is this with leaving rifles in Africa? Is it just a way to give gifts to your PHs and their staff etc? Kind of like a tip?

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

Simpson's Ltd.will only export items that they sell, but there is some good information on the process on this site.
They also might be able to direct you to someone who would do it for you.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

This may not be what you had in mind but I contacted Anne with Air 2000 in Johannesberg anne@air-2000.com and she said they can store guns legally. I don't know what the rates are or if there is a time limit but if someone is traveling to anywhere in Southern Africa through RSA this might be an alternative to hassling with airlines, TSA, and U.S.Customs.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
Here's another angle on this....the PH I hunted with in Namibia in '03 is coming over this year. Can he take home a rifle and shotgun I give him here in the US, providing he has it approved over there first?

I'll quit buying guns when my wife quits buying shoes.

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eric 98:
Here's another angle on this....the PH I hunted with in Namibia in '03 is coming over this year. Can he take home a rifle and shotgun I give him here in the US, providing he has it approved over there first?

ATF #1

ATF #2

Even if he legally acquires the firearms, the nonresident alien can not legally export them from the US unless he gets an export license or has a licensed exporter export it for him. Otherwise, he will violate the provisions of the AECA and ITAR.

You could use your one-time exemption and transfer them to him (provided you filled out the necessary paperwork: DSP-5, Import Authorization, End-User Letter and the One-Time Exemption Letter) . Not sure whether he could then take them back with him or whether you would have to ship them. You would have to check with the Office of Defense Trade Controls Licensing on that issue.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine HATES snakes and wants to give a cheap double barreled shotgun to his PH in Zimbabwe so that it can be cut down to pistol size and used for snakes (which he HATES) on his next trip! Did I say he HATES snakes? Wonder if there is a legal way to get it into the PH's hands?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thumpper470:
A friend of mine HATES snakes and wants to give a cheap double barreled shotgun to his PH in Zimbabwe so that it can be cut down to pistol size and used for snakes (which he HATES) on his next trip! Did I say he HATES snakes? Wonder if there is a legal way to get it into the PH's hands?

Thumpper470,
Print out the threads dealing with exporting firearms from ther U.S., and give them to your friend as guidance.

Have your friend contact the ATFE and State Dept. for the requisite permits.

Of course, it is a simple thing to obtain a shotgun in Zimbabwe; every PH I had or met there had one.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I just remembered, the US has an arms embargo on Zimbabwe. Don't think you can get a firearm into the Zimbabwe for the purpose of transferring ownership.

Arms Embargo.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote