THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Man gored by elephant sues game lodge

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man gored by elephant sues game lodge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
2010-10-22 20:32

Pretoria - A man gored by an elephant is suing a North West game lodge for R300 000, according to court papers.

In papers lodged in the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria this week, Andrew Falcon is demanding R300 000 from Three Cities Management Ltd, Madikwe River Lodge (Pty) Ltd and Madikwe River Lodge Management Ltd.

He alleged that the lodge's emergency medical procedures were so poor that he had to wait almost five hours before he could be evacuated for medical attention.

However, the lodge claimed that Falcon signed an indemnity form in which he "consented to the risks inherent in game drives and warranted that he was aware of such risks" and ultimately "any rights which he might otherwise have had to hold any of the defendants liable" in the event of an accident.

Falcon was gored in his right leg by an angry elephant as he sat in the back of a game viewing vehicle in March 2007.

He was thrown off the vehicle and had run to another game viewing vehicle as the vehicle in which he was sitting drove off.

Falcon claimed the game ranger was negligent because he switched off his vehicle while viewing the elephants and failed to ensure he had an escape route should an elephant attack.

Video footage submitted to the court, a copy of which is in Sapa's possession, shows the elephants huddled around a waterhole with calves.

Moments later the camera is dropped and screaming is heard as the vehicle roars away followed by screeches.

Eventually the game ranger is heard asking whether everyone is okay and a man is heard shouting: "No he's out. Don't ever switch your engine off again with elephants around you silly bastard. You silly bastard. Were you never told to keep your engine on with elephants around?"

A woman can be heard sobbing in the background.

Falcon sustained a fractured leg and lacerations to the leg.

An expert's report submitted to the court stated that the lodges had failed to implement their medical evacuation plan and Falcon had to wait almost five hours for definitive medical treatment.

The expert, Jan Kriel, said in his report that the game ranger had failed to detect the distressed state of the elephants who were alarmed at the presence of a vehicle so close to them.

He also noted that the game ranger did not have a rifle with him at the time. He described him as being "grossly negligent" in his duties as a ranger.

The lodge, in its responding papers, has denied this.

The case is expected to be heard in the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria next Friday.

Falcon's lawyer Bisessar Badal said he did not want to comment on the matter as he did not want to prejudice any hearings or potential negotiations.

- SAPA

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9415 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

My Daddy always says: "if you can't stand the heat...stay out of the kitchen!" Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36856 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
When I'm in a National Park and approach elephants in a vehicle, I always leave the engine running, since I can't carry a rifle in these places. And I have been charged on two occasions, so I will continue to do so.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And in the US he'd be suing for HOW much?

Ain't 300,000 rand something like $40,000- about what health care would cost for something like this?

Somehow I have a lot more faith in the SA legal system than in ours here in the US on this one.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somehow I have a lot more faith in the SA legal system than in ours here in the US on this one.

I have faith in neither any longer!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36856 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote