Notify
Tools

SA-Man killed by lions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Man killed by lions
2010-10-31 13:08

Johannesburg - A man, aged 30, working at a crocodile and lion ranch in Addo, near Uitenhage was killed by lions on Sunday morning, Eastern Cape police said.

"It is alleged that the man climbed over a fence and sat on a pole when one of the lions got hold of his legs," said Warrant Officer Gerda Swart.

She said the incident happened at about 05:00.

The lions pulled him off the pole and he could not be reached soon enough.

"The man was killed in the process."

An inquest into the death has been opened.

- SAPA

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9415 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Working there, you'd thought that he'd known better.

one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Man looks on as lions savage friend

Port Elizabeth - Bystanders watched helplessly on Sunday morning as one of the managers of a crocodile-and-lion farm was savagely mauled to death by three adult lions.

The incident happened at the Addo Croc and Lion Ranch which borders on the Addo Elephant Park, 58km from Port Elizabeth.

Jan-Friederick Bredenhand, 30, from Worcester, was apparently sitting on the fence of the lion encampment at around 05:00 when a male lion attacked him, pulling him from the fence and ripping him to pieces in front of his friend, Simon.

Simon, whose surname is unknown, ran to get help and returned to the lion encampment with a couple from Grahamstown, Dominic and Veluchia Hassim, and Waldo Le Roux.

He flagged down Le Roux, who had coincidentally taken a wrong turn on his way to the Addo Mondi mountain bike race.

Le Roux told of how Simon "came out of nowhere and was suddenly in the road right in front of me. I drove past, but he looked so upset that I turned around. He was screaming: 'Please help me, my friend is being eaten by a lion.'"

"I tugged at the fence but I couldn't do anything," said Le Roux. "Even if the police were at the scene sooner they wouldn't have been able to do anything. He was already dead by the time we got there."

Big lions

"Simon told us Bredenhand had wanted to show him how big the lions were when one of the males attacked him," said Le Roux.

Two other lions, another male and a female, also attacked Bredenhand. All three lions were put down on Sunday shortly after the attack.

The Hassims had been at the farm for a relaxing weekend and were staying in one of the chalets.

"I heard the screaming, but I thought it was people outside in the road. But then someone knocked on our door and screamed 'help, help, someone's being eaten by a lion!' so we went outside," said Mr Hassim.

Hassim was initially afraid that the lions might have escaped their encampment, which is not too far from the chalets.

"But then we ran to the encampment. It was horrific," said Ms Hassim.

"The one lion was gnawing on his ribs when we got there," she said.

This incident came as a second blow to Emmie Botha, one of the owners. Her husband, Lourens van Straaten, who managed the farm with her, was attacked by a male lion in July 2005 on the very same farm. He was declared brain-dead a few days later.

Van Straaten's son-in-law, Johnnay Janse van Rensburg, who currently manages the farm, said Bredenhand had only worked there for about a month.

~ Alan

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
Why kill the Lions for stupidity...

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friends and I visited that place in 2007, shame they killed the lions just for doing what comes naturally. It sounds like the lions did the world a favour, if you're that daft ....

Posts: 101 | Location: Home Counties | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
All three lions were put down on Sunday shortly after the attack.

I am amazed that they could sell that hunt so quickly! rotflmo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36856 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
All three lions were put down on Sunday shortly after the attack.

I am amazed that they could sell that hunt so quickly! rotflmo

animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, you know those problem lion hunts go quickly,, seriously,,,you can't fix stupid

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote