Find
Notify
Tools

Dangerous animals?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted
My wife just saw a show involving lions and cape buff... and has determined that buffalo are dangerous. She insists that I get life insurance before hunting such animals. (that's hopeful: it means she doesn't consider such a thing unreasonable -- unless she's just getting tired of me...)

The question occurred to me: does this type of activity disqualify one's family from collecting life insurance if the event proves fatal?

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
IT DEPENDS on what kind of fine print is in all those pages of legalese weaselwords that the companies lawyers have managed to get on the page as terms that you have agreed to.

Know your insurer and your agent and if the agent does not know or fumbles the question, GET IT IN WRITING specifically from the company that you are covered for hunting dangerous game in Africa.
But dont be surprised if they cancel you or tell you there is a BIG premium to cover that activity.

there are ins companies that will insure ANYTHING..ie Betty Grables legs were insured by Lloyds of London., you just have to find them.

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skydiving comes to mind as one of the activities they don't cover, never thought about hunting.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You need to ensure you're travel insurance convers such things as dangerous sports and medivac etc. We have a link from our website to such a company and you can access it from here:-

http://www.kuduland.com/kuduland-safaris-resources.htm

In some cases you might need a seperate medivac policy and your safari company should advise you of this when you make your booking. When this is needed we recommend Amref. Wink

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Dan, it isn't that she considers your hunting Buff a possibility, rather it is that she considers you worth more dead.

dancing jumping stir

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life insurance policies typically exclude death caused as a result of voluntarily engaging in an "ultra hazardous activity". Most even exclude death as a result of war.

I recall going through this drill 30 some years ago looking for a life insurance policy without a war exclusion after joining the Army. The only one I could find, USAA, was a company formed by former military in part due to the restrictions and limitations of civilian policies.

If your policy does not cover dangerous game hunting, you can buy a separate endorsement. It could be expensive depending on how they assess the risk. Insurance companies pretty much act like the "house" in Las Vegas. They take a look at the odds of a hunter dying while hunting dangerous game based on past history and actuarial tables, and price accordingly.

In their minds, if you live, they win and you lose. Nice way to look at life, huh?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, if she's that concerned, take her with you.

As long as you can run faster than she can, you should be OK. Now that's insurance!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trekker111:
Skydiving comes to mind as one of the activities they don't cover, never thought about hunting.

Scuba divers and private pilots are also on that list.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
THank you! Very useful info!

I wish all of you a happy season.

Dan

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Just as a aside, I have to pay a 100% extra on my life insurance because my work entails hunting dangerous game.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote