Notify
Tools

Disappointed with Leopold.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted
ladies and Gents,

I have been a good customer for Leopold scope since 2001.
The first scope I bought was a 3-9x20 in silver color.
The second one I bought was a 1.5-5 that was for my 375H&H which did not last for one month.
The third one I bought was also a 1.5-5 which also did not last for four months.
On both the 1.5-5 scopes the front glass broke.
The fourth scope was 1.75-6 which did not last for two months,and the problem with this scope is I can not seem to lift the crosshair on target.
The first scope is fixed on my 300 win mag which I,m very happy with.
I would like to know if anybody has had the some experience on the new Leopold like I did?
I would like to buy a new scope but I do not want to touch Leopold again Mad.So any ideas on which scopes to fix on my 375H&H will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Hamdeni

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hamdeni,

Were your 1.5-5X scopes mounted with the front ring at, on, or close to the front glass? Were the rings mounted and tightened to the Leupold specified "inch/pounds" tightness?

Seems odd that two in a row would fail in the same way. Did Leupold make repairs in a timely manner? And or explain what the problem might be?

Your results are counter to my excellent results and service, when needed. Which has led me to switch to Leupold exclusively.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hamdeni:
ladies and Gents,

I have been a good customer for Leopold scope since 2001.
The first scope I bought was a 3-9x20 in silver color.
The second one I bought was a 1.5-5 that was for my 375H&H which did not last for one month.
The third one I bought was also a 1.5-5 which also did not last for four months.[/QUOTE

[QUOTE]On both the 1.5-5 scopes the front glass broke.

I think the problem with the two 1.5-5X20 scopes is That you tightened the front ring down on the outside of the scope over the front lens! This will crack the lens every time, no matter who made the scope. Your rings are too far apart for the scope you are trying to mount, and get proper eye relief.

quote:
The fourth scope was 1.75-6 which did not last for two months,and the problem with this scope is I can not seem to lift the crosshair on target.

This also sounds like a rifle/ring problem, rather than a scope quality problem. What rifle are you mounting this scope on, and what rings are you useing?

quote:
The first scope is fixed on my 300 win mag which I,m very happy with.
I would like to know if anybody has had the some experience on the new Leopold like I did?
I would like to buy a new scope but I do not want to touch Leopold again Mad.So any ideas on which scopes to fix on my 375H&H will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Hamdeni

I think you need to find the real cause of your scope problems, they all sound like improper mounting problems to me! Especially if these were the first scope mounted on these rifles!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Leupold most likely would be happy to say good-bye.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with LHowell in that I have had excellent results with Leupold scopes and their Customer Service.

I too had the front lens of a 1.5-5xVariX break, but it was because the gunsmith set the front ring over the lens. It wasn't Leupold's fault, but they fixed it - free of charge.

For me Leupold has always stood behind their product and that is one ofthe reasons I use their product.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold, not "Leopold," right? And you mean 3-9x 40mm not 20mm, right. Pronounced LOO-POLD.

I must have 40 of them. I have had 2 busted ones.

1) 6.5-20x40mm VXIII which lost windage adjustment while using it on a Cooper .223. It stopped moving the reticle in the horizontal, and Leupold fixed it free of charge.

2) 2.5x 20mm M8 which broke the reticle (standard duplex) from use on a 500 A-Square. Leupold fixed it free of charge, replacing it with the heavy duplex.

Un detected material defects get through quality control inspections. Crap happens. Those two scopes of mine have been debugged now and are better than new.

Your having broken the objective lens on two 1.5-5X 20mm VX111 scopes makes me think you might be tightening the forward ring right over the lens housing. That WILL break them.

I also have a couple of Zeiss, a Swarovski, a big mother Schmidt&Bender, a half dozen Sightrons, a few Burris, Redfield, Weaver, Bushnell, Tasco, and Simmons. Sightron scopes have been surprisingly good for a moderate priced scope. One of their 4x-16x has so far stood up to a 500 A-Square Ruger No.1 used for 942-yard cow pasture shoots. The cheaper scopes are used only on low recoil small bores, but one Tasco 3-9X is on a .300 WinMag and has performed perfectly.

All factors considered, Leupold is still tops by me. I can except 1 in 20 needing warranty repair, and getting them back debugged. I don't have enough experience with any of the other scopes to comment on them, but I do have a lot of experience with Leupold, and I have been most satisfied 100% of the time, after that 5% debugging.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
LHowell,

The front ring on the first 1.5-5x scope was mounted on the front glass,then i thought that could have been the problem.On the second scope i made sure to move the rings back away from the front glass as much as possiable,but with the same results.I bought all my scopes from the agent in Dubai.They said i should pay for the DHL which would cost me around $500 to send the scope to the factory.
That is why i had to buy another scope.I used promote leopold to all my friends based on my first experience.

Hamdeni

quote:
Originally posted by LHowell:
Hamdeni,

Were your 1.5-5X scopes mounted with the front ring at, on, or close to the front glass? Were the rings mounted and tightened to the Leupold specified "inch/pounds" tightness?

Seems odd that two in a row would fail in the same way. Did Leupold make repairs in a timely manner? And or explain what the problem might be?

Your results are counter to my excellent results and service, when needed. Which has led me to switch to Leupold exclusively.

Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree the problem is probably from improper mounting. Never had a problem with a Leupold scope.

Why is this in the African forum?

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Les, Mac,

I just checked my 404 Jeff and the front ring is on the front glass per what I can tell and I have not had any problem with the scope. Rifle has a few boxes of ammo thru it and has been on two hunting trips, planes etc with no problems.

I wonder if it is a problem waiting to happen or just lucky.

Between me and my buddies we have several Leupolds on several big bores and no trouble yet. All are larger caliber than 375 H & H.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hamdeni,

Did Walter mount your scopes for you? Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I mounted a 1.5-5 Vari-X III on my M70 375 as well. With standard bases, it put the front ring right over the objective lens. I ended up breaking it twice by overtighening it. Leupold fixed it for free both times. They also suggested that I try a scope with a longer tube, so I picked up a VX-III 2.5-8. I had the same problem you did, I could not adjust the scope enough for elevation; the best I could do was 6" low at 100 yards. I sent that scope back and they checked it and said that everything is in working order. I ended up having my gunsmith drill an extra hole in the receiver and we moved the front base back about half an inch. This didn't interfere with the operation of the rifle, but allowed me to get the front ring back far enough that it doesn't hurt the objective lens.

After going through all that work and finally getting to use it in the field, I've decided that the 1.5-5 isn't the right scope for the rifle as I don't think it has enough light-gathering ability.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Guys,

The rifles which i mounted the scopes on are both cz550magnum using tally mounts.
I guess if the agent here in Dubai would offer after sales service,it could have helped alot.

Hamdeni

one of us
posted Hide Post
BigB, Hamdeni,

Leupold assured me that mounting with the ring "on" the glass SHOULD be OK if you use the correct "inch/pounds" of torque for tightening the rings!

I have not had any trouble with the 1.5-5x20 that is mounted on my .458 so maybe we have our torqued correctly. [ I believe the measurement was 21 inch/pounds- BUT please do not use that without checking/asking Leupold first!!!]

It is very easy to tighten more than the specified amount just by using hand pressure. It's probably not as much of an issue if your ring is not directly on the glass though.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
He would have mounted them better then i did. Big Grin

hamdeni
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
hamdeni,

Did Walter mount your scopes for you? Big Grin

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always use silicone adhesive inside the degreased rings and do not over torque. I have no torgue wrench for the Torx wrenches but have the feel in my fingers. No white knuckles! Torque until the silicone stops squeezing out from the rings then peel off the excess when it has dried enough to peel.

With the adhesive you have no need to over torque. Ross Seyfried recommended the 3M liquid electrician's tape.

I have found automotive silicone sealant/adhesive in clear or black to be excellent. It can be removed with a nylon bristle or brass bristle brush and solvent like Gun Scrubber if it does not peel or scrape off easily when disassembled. When assembling, each ring, having tried everything first then disassembled again, a little dab will do ya, smeared over the inside of each ring half, uniformly with a finger.

This seals out water and stray cleaning solvent or oil, and locks the scope in place in properly torqued rings.

one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
RIP,

Thanks thats a good idea,i think i will try that next time.

hamdeni
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
I always use silicone adhesive inside the degreased rings and do not over torque. I have no torgue wrench for the Torx wrenches but have the feel in my fingers. No white knuckles! Torque until the silicone stops squeezing out from the rings then peel off the excess when it has dried enough to peel.

With the adhesive you have no need to over torque. Ross Seyfried recommended the 3M liquid electrician's tape.

I have found automotive silicone sealant/adhesive in clear or black to be excellent. It can be removed with a nylon bristle or brass bristle brush and solvent like Gun Scrubber if it does not peel or scrape off easily when disassembled. When assembling, each ring, having tried everything first then disassembled again, a little dab will do ya, smeared over the inside of each ring half, uniformly with a finger.

This seals out water and stray cleaning solvent or oil, and locks the scope in place in properly torqued rings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1 3/4x6 has the shortest adjustment range of the lower magnification Leupold scopes. I have run out of adjustment with that scope and switched to a 2 1/2x8 and had everything work fine. I asked Leupold why at SCI and never did get a logical answer. A little shim stock might solve your problem also.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have never sent in a Leupold scope, had good luck with NIkon too, but have a bad 2-7x Monarch as we speak. The majority of my hard kickers have Leupolds on them as well. I sold all brands for several years (20 years agol) and had far less repairs on Leupold than any others.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hamdeni,
thumb
I have some 2.5X's that have the front rings too close to the objective housing, but have had no problems by using the silicone as above.
Good luck. Don't give up on Leupold. They are a "best buy" in the USA, but I don't know how bad the duties on them over there are.

A $500 DHL shipping charge is outrageous!

one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
$500 is what the agent told me it would cost to ship it to and from USA.There is a small duty of 5% here which is not much.There is a hunting fair in Abudhabi which is starting from 11-09-06 to 15-09-06,which i'm looking forward to go to.I hope to see leupold from USA if they do come.
By the way the scopes that you buy in the states are they made in USA? Because the onces that we buy here don't have MADE IN USA written on them!

Hamdeni
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Hamdeni,
thumb
I have some 2.5X's that have the front rings too close to the objective housing, but have had no problems by using the silicone as above.
Good luck. Don't give up on Leupold. They are a "best buy" in the USA, but I don't know how bad the duties on them over there are.

A $500 DHL shipping charge is outrageous!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that Leupold scopes were assembled in the USA, Oregon, though the lenses may be made in Japan.

I have also heard that Sightron uses the same lenses as Leupold, same Japanese lens maker.

Sumbuddy who know any different? bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rip, I have never had a problem mounting any of my scopes and like you I dont use a torque wrench. It has always been by feel. I like the the silicon idea though and will be sure and try it on the next one. Thanks for the tip.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Rip, I have never had a problem mounting any of my scopes and like you I dont use a torque wrench. It has always been by feel. I like the the silicon idea though and will be sure and try it on the next one. Thanks for the tip.

Mike,
You will be happy with the silicone. thumb

Why am I thinking of female breasts now?

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have at least 30 Leupolds on various rifles and have only had two minor problems, both of which Leupold promptly fixed. One thing that I have been doing for the last 10 or so scopes that I have purchased is to use the Burris Signature Rings with their special inserts for mounting and adjustment. That way the scope does not sit metal to metal with the rings and you can make the proper adjustments to your scope mounting without needing shimming materials. I have been extremely pleased with the results and my two current .375 H&H Model 70's both have this same system. One has a Leupold 1.75x6 and the other is a 2x8. Hope that this might help some of you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The problems might also have arisen from shooting from heavy benchrests, what recoil your shoulder didn't take, the scope had to deal with...

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Les,

I had a gunsmith mount the scope when he put the rifle together so maybe a torgur wrench was used.

My friend has a 2.5 X 8 Leupold on a 416 Weatherby and it has held up fine but again the same gunsmith mounted the scope.

In both cases leupold rings and bases were used.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I busted a Leupold 1.5 - 5 by tightening the Talley rings to the point of closing on the top. It cracked the the seal and allowed moisture in which fogged up the scope. Glad it happened before a trip to Africa and not during the trip.

Leupold replaced the scope free and fedexed the new one to me before I sent the busted one back.

The Talley rings must not be over tightened on the top screws. I use a touch of blue loctite on the top screws and just tighten them to be snug. After use on a 416 Rigby and 375 H&H no problems with either.

Most scopes will not withstand cranking those Talley rings shut on top.

TJR

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the silicone adhesive inside the Talley rings too. I never use any blue Loctite on any ring screws. I do constantly check the ring screws to make sure they are still tight whenever I get ready to use the gun, and that might mean a daily check of all screws on the gun out in the field.

Using the silicone adhesive inside the rings usually prevents any loosening of ring screws with use.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I also have a Leupold 1.5 X 5 on a CZ 550 Magnum in 416 Rigby, also in Talley rings. You do have a little leeway with the front ring, as you can see by the photo below. I've probably put around 100 rounds through this rifle, no problems with the scope so far.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
WINK, what brand is that synthetic stock on your CZ? Looks good!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Mac, it's a MacMillan. Grey paint, bought as a drop-in.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
First, I am just curious why it costs $500 to send A DHL package from Dubai to the US that would lweigh less than a lb?

Second, Hamdene you said you move the second scope as far back as possible but you did not say how far?

Do you have pictures

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Mac, it's a MacMillan. Grey paint, bought as a drop-in.

Thanks WINK, it's a good looking shape, and I like the fore-end, as well as the non-reflective finish/color! Does the drop in the stock let you use the iron sights without straining ? It looks as though it would!

.............VERY NICE! thumb

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The iron sights don't line up perfectly for me, but your results may differ. I have already filed the base on a NECG supplied front sight, called a Sourdough post, to fit in the CZ front sight mount. It is quite high. Now I have to have made a new rear sight to replace the three leaf rear sight which I don't prefer in any event. I will be making (or having made) a very tall solid single leaf rear "U" type sight. It will have a similar sight image to most pistol sights, but with a lot of light on both sides of the front post because this is my preference for rapid shooting. I would do this no matter what stock the rifle was wearing so it is not a problem with the Mac stock per se. The relatively straight comb on the Mac handles recoil very well and I am very happy with that aspect. Rifle comes straight back, no muzzle lift at all, at least for me. By the way, when I first installed the Mac stock there was quite a long thread on the subject and I described in detail a whole lot of things one should consider with this stock. I wish I could remember which thread that was.

One of Us
Picture of carmelo@worldshooter.com
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I also have a Leupold 1.5 X 5 on a CZ 550 Magnum in 416 Rigby, also in Talley rings. You do have a little leeway with the front ring, as you can see by the photo below. I've probably put around 100 rounds through this rifle, no problems with the scope so far.

There most likely will never a be a problem with that scope either, even after 10k rounds.

LEUPOLD ROCKS!

-Carmelo A. Lisciotto
www.WorldShooter.com

carmelo@worldshooter.com

one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I have just received my scope from Leupold USA.
I only paid for the freight.

Hamdeni thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rip,
You have a 2.5X that the front ring in over the lens?...A 2.5 and a 3 fixed is a very long scope, how far back did you set it or have you a 2.5X compact? I use both of those scopes on my medium big bores such as .375, 404 and 416 Rem and such. The 2.5X and 3X Leupolds are 10 inches long and have almost 7 inches of ring space..When I use the compact I normally use and extended base reversed with it, for what its worth.

Hamdini,
I have used Leupolds since the late 1940s. I have had a few of them go south, any scope will, but I send them to Leupold and they either replace them or repair them immediatly, Send the direct to Leupold by Fedex and you will get them back within a month...

You will have problems with any scope on calibers like the .458 Lott and up, I have trashed a bunch of different scopes on these big bore rifles, especially the ones with a muzzle brake as that creates and opposite thrust than a rifle without a muzzle brake, so you get a BB gun effect, and BB gun scopes are made just backwards from a rifle scope...

The best cure for the recoil problems with big bores is either iron sights and that is my choice and the other is the wonderful Leupold 2.5X Compact as it has its adjustments under the turret and can handle any kind of recoil..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont see how the topic name is justified. Are you still disappointed with Leupold?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must have 25 or so leupolds, and i have had one failure; it was a 1.5X5 vari X 111, mounted on my sako 375. Scope did fine thru my first safari, including sighting in, practice etc; probably 300 rounds. two years later, scope would not hold zero; broken reticle. Replaced free by leupold. I now have the 1.75X6 on the 375, and the repaired leupold sits on my 416 wby, where it has withstood several hundred rounds.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I too, am pleased with Leupold, having 40+ scopes from them, the latest being the 1.5X5 and 3.5X10 30mm illuminated recticles for two of my African rifles. No failures yet (knock on wood). I know that they are very responsive to any issues for sure and stand behind their products.