THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A Bloody Battle Bewteen An Addax And A Scimitar Horned Oryx!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Bloody Battle Bewteen An Addax And A Scimitar Horned Oryx!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Last week we found two ibex cows dead. We had no idea who killed them.

Friday we had another battle on our hands, as you can see below.

It seems one of our addax has decided to declare war on other animals, and his next victim was this Scimitar horned oryx.

We use a wooden shield when we approach any of these animals, and it works great.

We managed to get them disentangled, and we thought that was the end of it, as we tried to put the wounded Scimitar horned oryx in a seperate enclosure for treatment.

The Addax, however, had other ideas. He was ready to fight everyone.

My helper with the wooden shield was about 40 yards away, and all I had was a small pocket camera. The Addax decided I was to be his next adversary, so he came for me at a quick walk, looking straight at me. Luckily, I had some rocks at my feet, so got hold of a large one and threw it at him. Hitting him at the base of the horns.

That turned him, and ran off a few yards.

I decided that I better get rid of him, so went back and got my home safari rifle.

It is a BRNO 308 Winchester with a silencer we have made ourselves.

A few minutes later our Addax was ready for the butchery.

I must say he tastes great.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is really unfortunate. Sorry about the Ibex as well. On a more positive note, when is the barbecue? He might just be tasty!

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Sorry to see he wreaked such havoc on your other animals before you put a stop to things. I think you made the right call.

What other animals do you have in your zoo by the way?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have Addax, Scimitar horned oryx, Arabian oryx, Numbian ibex, Grants, Thomsons, and Dorca's gazelles.

We also have ostriches, cheetahs and crocodiles. Green iguanas and several varieties of turtles. Meercats, fox, Arabian owls,and many parrots

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Saaed, Looking at the horns of the Addax is it considered a spiral horn specie ???

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari-Hunt:
Saaed, Looking at the horns of the Addax is it considered a spiral horn specie ???

If you mean is it considered a spiral horned species as in is it a tragalaphine such as tragalaphus strepsiceros or Tragelaphus imberbis etc, no it's not.

Their scientific name is Addax nasomaculatus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addax

Bloody nice looking animal though.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Eland, is considered a spiral horn specie when it comes to hunting. But its not part of the tragalaphine family ! Eland - Taurotragus oryx.

"The Addax (Addax nasomaculatus), also known as the screwhorn antelope, is a critically endangered desert antelope that lives in several isolated regions in the Sahara desert. This species of the antelope family is closely related to the oryx, but differs from other antelopes by having large square teeth like cattle and lacking the typical facial glands. Although extremely rare in its native habitat, it is quite common in captivity and is regularly bred on ranches where they are hunted as trophies. There are fewer than 500 addax left in wild, with fewer than 860 in captivity." From Wikipedia

So if they are found in the Sahara would they have been considered part of the spiral horn slam if not endangered ?

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Fredrik,

That was the point I was making..... it's not a tragalaphine as such.

Which is why I said "if you mean is it considered a spiral horned species as in is it a tragalaphine such as tragalaphus strepsiceros or Tragelaphus imberbis etc, no it's not."

As to quite what catagory they fell into when they were hunted in the natural habitat. According to the RW book, they rate them as close to the oryxes, sable and roan and make no mention of anything else. So that would suggest (to me at least) they were not generally considered as part of the SH GS....... probably worth checking the old hunting books though.

A quick scan through the RW book also tells me that the last few entered in the book were all in 1976.....so a fair while ago.

ADDED

Thinking about it for a moment, I wouldn't be at all suprised if the lumpers and groupers type arguments meant that opinions at the time may have differed. - I guess the only way to find out would be to look at some of the most popular hunting books of the time and see if there were differing opinions or not.

I don't have an SCI book to hand but it might be interesting to know what they have to say about it in their publications.

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

A quick scan through the RW book also tells me that the last few entered in the book were all in 1976.....so a fair while ago.

So Saeed's could now be the first new record in 34 years! dancing

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Saeed, that silencer looks extremely long.
Can you tell a bit more about it as a matter of interest:
Actual length, diameter, number of baffles in it and is it a 'pull-over' type or does it screw onto the barrel, weight, etc.

Thanks.

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

It seems one of our addax has decided to declare war on other animals, and his next victim was this Scimitar horned oryx.

We use a wooden shield when we approach any of these animals, and it works great.

We managed to get them disentangled,

Saeed
I'm sure you know what you are doing, but please be careful!

I know that there was a farmer in Namibia that was killed when a gemsbok speared him.

The amazing part of the story is the fact that the farmer was inside his truck. The gemsbok speared him through the driver's side door.

Next time shoot first, then enter the enclosure.
Wink

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jagter:
quote:

Saeed, that silencer looks extremely long.
Can you tell a bit more about it as a matter of interest:
Actual length, diameter, number of baffles in it and is it a 'pull-over' type or does it screw onto the barrel, weight, etc.

Thanks.

The silencer is 14 inches long, and it screws onto the barrel.

We turned down the barrel to make it straight for about 12 inches ahead of the end of the silencer, so the barrel actually extends all the way in the silencer except for the last 2 inches.

The part of the barrel that is inside the silencer has been drilled with holes.

I am not sure how many baffles we have in this one, as we make quite a few and I would imagine no two are alike!!?

It works very well.

I used Sierra Match King bullets loaded at match velocity to shoot this Addax, and we had people standing about 50 yards away and they said they could hardly hear it.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

Saw a mounted skull (along with that of a scimitar horned oryx) in an antique shop the other day. They were both huge and I tried to purchase them....alas....not for sale.

Frowner

One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
quote:
The silencer is 14 inches long, and it screws onto the barrel.

We turned down the barrel to make it straight for about 12 inches ahead of the end of the silencer, so the barrel actually extends all the way in the silencer except for the last 2 inches.

The part of the barrel that is inside the silencer has been drilled with holes.

I am not sure how many baffles we have in this one, as we make quite a few and I would imagine no two are alike!!?

It works very well.

I used Sierra Match King bullets loaded at match velocity to shoot this Addax, and we had people standing about 50 yards away and they said they could hardly hear it.

An interesting way of doing it!

However, due to the holes drilled into the barrel it is sort of a permanent fixture to the rifle - one wouldn't easily shoot that rifle without the silencer fitted, would you?

I'm marketing sound suppressors locally for a guy manufacturing them here in the RSA as well. The one's used on .308Win is 185mm long (±170mm shorter than yours), 42mm in diameter, 10 baffles inside them, weigh 610 grams and you only need to thread ± 25mm on the front end of the barrel to fit them. Simply screw suppressor off and the rifle can be used without it again.

At 100 yrds out the shot out of a .308Win can not be heard at all. Dampens sound at point of firing roughly by 50%. That was tested with high velocity (3150fps) 130gr GSC bullets.

A client of mine using a similar type of sound suppressor for large bore rifles on his .375H&H claims the gadget has reduced the rifles recoil tremendously.

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Whats the world coming to? Now Saeed is hunting inside a pen. I can plainly see the fence in those photos.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Whats the world coming to? Now Saeed is hunting inside a pen. I can plainly see the fence in those photos.

rotflmo

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Looks like most of the blood came from the broken horn on the scimitar? Wish I could come by for BBQ. I have not had a real steak in two and a half weeks. I am depressed.

~Ann

Posts: 19564 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

I understand SCI does not mind having "trophies" entered in their record book if they have been inside a fence, and as the Addax is rare, I am seriously considering one clap

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Go for it, Saeed!

~Ann

Posts: 19564 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I understand SCI does not mind having "trophies" entered in their record book if they have been inside a fence, and as the Addax is rare, I am seriously considering one clap

clap clap clap clap clap

Sir,
Well done.
Happy Saint Valentine's Day to you too!
So the addax went dominant-ballistic and now is on the spit.
Well-done there too, I trust. thumb

Yes, please try to get that entered in the SCI record book.
You might make their Inner Circle yet!
The oryx is now a prime Outer Circle trophy.
May he live out his days in the glory of one-horned display in your backyard.
Keep some rocks handy for poachers, the oryx will be tempting.

Letter Rip

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:

I used Sierra Match King bullets....

...and yet the animal is still dead?

Big Grin Wink Big Grin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:

I used Sierra Match King bullets....

...and yet the animal is still dead?

Big Grin Wink Big Grin

I used Sierra Match King bullets on a hunt in South Africa a few years back. And I tried to drive them to extreme velocities too.

180 grain 30 caliber Match Kings at 3450 fps, out of our 30/404.

They killed everything I shot with them, ranging from duikers to zebra and black wildebeest!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Normally the victor lives Smiler

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote