THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Huge changes of Tanzania Tourist Hunting Regulations

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huge changes of Tanzania Tourist Hunting Regulations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wildlife Conservation (Tourist Hunting) regulations, 2010

Below is a summery of some of the changes that will apply to the PHs directly

20 (1) the tourist hunting shall be conducted in the hunting season commencing from 1st July to 31st March of each year.

20 (9)(a) each tourist hunting company shall pay game fees within twenty one days after the expiry of a hunting permit.

22 (3) the professional hunter license shall be divided in two categories as follows:
(a) Category A license which shall authorize the holder to supervise the hunting of an animal; and
(b) Category B which shall allow the holder to supervise the hunting of non dangerous animals

23. (1) every hunting company shall:
(c) Unless he shows reasons for non exportation, export all trophies from hunted animals within a period of twelve months after the end of each hunting season, failure of which the operator shall apply for a permit to lawfully hold trophies and pay a surcharge fee of 10% of the value of the trophies hunted

24 (1) No person shall:
(b) hunt any animal during the hours of darkness or the period between sunset and sunrise;
(e) hunt any young of any animal or any female animal which is apparently pregnant of which is accompanied by its young;

24 (5) No person shall:
(a) hunt lion of an age below six years
(b) hunt an elephant with tusks weighing below 18 kg per tusk or measuring not less than 160cm per tusk;
(c) hunt leopard whose length from the nose to the tip of the tail is less than 150cm
(d) hunt crocodile whose length from nose to the tip of the tail is less than 300cm;
(e) any other acceptable international standard guiding tourist hunting.

(6) Any professional hunter who guides a client to hunt any animal in contravention of sub regulation (5) commits an offence and is liable on conviction:
(a) to a fine of US dollars one thousand or imprisonment for a period not less than six months for the first time of commission of an offence
(b) to a fine of US dollars four thousand or imprisonment for a period not less than one year for the second time of commission of an offence; and
(c) to a fine of US dollars ten thousand or imprisonment for a period not less than one year and cancellation of the professional hunters’ license for the third time of commission of an offence.

(7) No person shall conduct tourist hunting, game viewing, photographic safari, walking safari or any wildlife based tourist safari within a hunting block or within any wildlife protected area outside Ngorongoro Consevation Area and national park except in accordance with the written authority of the Director previously sought and obtained:
Provided that this sub-regulation shall not apply where such activities are conducted in a gazetted Wildlife Management Area or in a private captive breeding operation which has been endorsed by the Director.

26. (1) The Wildlife Conservation (Tourist Hunting) Regulations, 2000 are hereby revoked.

This are mature changes in the Tanzanian Hunting Industry. Lets see how it works out.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Looks good but WTF does 24 (5) e mean?

24 (5) No person shall: (e) any other acceptable international standard guiding tourist hunting.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
My guess is "whatever they will want it to mean". If they can find some regulation applied in another country that they want to apply ad hoc, they will.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So no leopard after sunset. Didn't it used to be a half hour after sunset?

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
So no leopard after sunset. Didn't it used to be a half hour after sunset?

Larry:

To the best of my knowledge there is no such quote in the Conservation Act and I don't think there will be any dramatic changes - furthermore, and most importantly where Leopard is concerned, have you forgotten that baiting is not permitted? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
(c) hunt leopard whose length from the nose to the tip of the tail is less than 150cm

In other words, 150 cms = 60 inches or 5 feet of Leopard being the NEW MINIMUM length? - pretty small Leopard if you ask me - I think someone has got it wrong.
Should it possibly be:"nose to base of tail"? Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
The interpretation of "Hours of darkness" in the Wildlife Act itself is between 6:30pm and 5:30 am".

Let us say that this whole thing is a "work in progress".... Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mich,

Have these been introduced yet and also what's the story with permanent buildings in GRs etc?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TOURIST HUNTING?

Sign me up-what do liscenses cost and what are the trophy fees? I grew up in tourist country and always wanted to shoot one.

rotflmo

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope it means that they are going to allow the proponents of "non-consumptive safaris" the opportunity to help pay for the game management.

It is a start...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Those 'non-consumptive' tourists just might be the thin end of the wedge and a VERY big problem for hunters and the hunting industry.

Just look at what's going on in Botswana.........

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
To March 31st? Hmmm...... late summer early fall Masailand buffalo hunts?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think buffalo in Masailand from January through March would be feasible. Not far from Arusha with decent roads (so one would not depend entirely on an airstrip being dry). That is a hunt I'd sign up for now. I wonder if any outfitters will adjust their season accordingly???

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure they use to hunt Jan and Feb in Masailand. Perhaps Mark and Wendell will comment.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
I'm pretty sure they use to hunt Jan and Feb in Masailand. Perhaps Mark and Wendell will comment.

Brett

Samaras told me in January that they were going to extend the season to March, like the "good ol' days"

That area east of Tarangire has always produced the best Buffalo. Now, aw jeez, watch out! This is going to get interesting.

I have asked Luke what the new plan is, he has not given me a firm answer on what will be happening.

I am sure we will have an answer by the time Reno rolls around.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hunted Masailand in the "good old days" during late February and early March. Getting around was trying at times, especially in Maswa.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
24 (5) No person shall:
(a) hunt lion of an age below six years
(b) hunt an elephant with tusks weighing below 18 kg per tusk or measuring not less than 160cm per tusk;
(d) hunt crocodile whose length from nose to the tip of the tail is less than 300cm;
(e) any other acceptable international standard guiding tourist hunting.

(6) Any professional hunter who guides a client to hunt any animal in contravention of sub regulation (5) commits an offence and is liable on conviction:
(a) to a fine of US dollars one thousand or imprisonment for a period not less than six months for the first time of commission of an offence
(b) to a fine of US dollars four thousand or imprisonment for a period not less than one year for the second time of commission of an offence; and
(c) to a fine of US dollars ten thousand or imprisonment for a period not less than one year and cancellation of the professional hunters’ license for the third time of commission of an offence.

This will be very Interesting

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas