Tools

How Much Land Is Traversed...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When on a 2 week safari for elephant, how many square MILES

do you typically stay within OVERALL? [A square of nine @

3 per side; sixteen @ 4 per side; 25 - @5 miles per side; etc?]

I mean while riding in the truck and on foot total.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

The answer to your question is very different for different areas and different hunts and different times of the year.

Some areas are very large and you might cover quite a bit of an area, or you might not, depending on where the feed is or the water or both.

Some areas are much smaller or narrow and you have only elephants passing through or coming in but then going out.

Some areas will also have good road nets that allow you to cover lots of ground in a truck looking for tracks worth following. But others might have a poor road net that you either cover again and again or that requires you to do alot of walking or climbing to glass just to look for elephants or tracks to take a look at.

Even different hunts in the same area can be different one year than the next, let alone different times of the year...

Probably the toughest situation is a large area with a poor road net and with the elephants relatively concentrated far from camp. You can learn to hate the daily drive and the truck. Or you might spike camp to stay nearer...

Lot of variables.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Where I last hunted Elephant in the Matetsi I would say 150sq miles. Thats 15 X 10 miles. I can't remember ANY place I've hunted Elephant much LESS than that when you take into consideration where the camp is. I've only shot 3 ,one in Doma, one in the Gwayi and one in the Matetsi, all three areas were at least that big.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my two 15 day trips to Erindi Ranch in Namibia, we have covered almost all of the property in each direction each time. About 180,000 acres or 280 square miles.

My wife cheated tho, she got to fly with Paul in his helicopter, and even see the tops of the mountains we had to go around Smiler

They had 15 eles on the place, and although we always found lots of sign and spoor, I never got to see one in the wild. They can just disappear when they want to, for sure.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. I just had NO idea at all.
Now I have a "bit" of an understanding. wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote