Find
Notify
Tools

Open sights - who really uses them?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Use them? Can't even see them? Though aesthetically I like the looks of them on a rifle. But my days of open sights has long since past.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Depends on how you like to hunt. I like to hunt close so I prefer to use open sights. Of course, some hunts, for instance, the cats, often involve limited daylight making scopes a requirement.

I have to chuckle a bit at Mark Young's comment though about forgoing the expense of open sights in favor of a second, pre-sighted in scope and mounts. Not much debate as to which of those options is more expensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just returned from a buffalo hunt with others. Two of us are pushing 70 and two more under 60. All used irons and all took nice buffalo with zero issues. Getting close and hunting with irons is not only a thrill, but showed that all shots were placed well resulting in dead buffalo on every occasion. I should also mention that all had scopes available for the rifles used and chose to try to hunt without them. Iron sighted rifles are still vary relevant for large dangerous game.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I truly respect that, c-man.

Did people, including your PH, try to talk you out of it?

They did me, but I respectfully demurred.

And we got to inside 20 yards.

And my eyes and the irons worked just fine. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Like a lot of the 60+ crowd around here,
my eyes are not what they once were.
Having had great eyes into my 50's ,
the rapid degredation of visual acuity has been vexing.
I shot irons in competition out to 1000, when I had young eyes.
I prided myself on not using optics to hunt with.

My DG rifles all have irons,that said,
I use them rarely,if ever.( honestly not sure I could)

The 450NE DR wears a DocterIII,
for me,it is faster than irons and with my current eyesight,more precise.
The 375 Flanged DR has a Swaro Z6 1.7-10 in claw montts.
(If I bought one today it have a 1-8)

My 454 FA revolver now wears a Docter III as well.

There are glasses,contacts and ocular surgical proceedures
that could largely restore my ability to see and use irons.
However with red dots and good glass , think I'll put off the Optho a bit longer.

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Ross,

Guy walks into the Rolls Royce show room. Sales person shows him a luxury Shadow. On opening the trunk the potential buyer sees a tool kit embossed with the double R logo.

"What's that he asks?"

"A tool kit." The salesman replies matter of factly.

"Why in such an expensive and perfect vehicle would I ever need a repair kit?" The client asks.

"Sir, If you stand before a mirror and unbutton your shirt will you see your two nipples?" Asks the salesman.

"Yes," the client replies somewhat confused.

"And why does Sir need them?" The salesman asks.

Some things you just have and should not ask why. You may never need them but they are there!

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lol

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MR - No, the PH did not discourage it. In fact he streesssed that we would stalk close and it added to the thrills of the hunt and was quite exciting for all involved. I do believe however that if one is unsure of his shooting of irons on DG than a scope should be used if it helps the hunter shoot better. After that first shot goes off risk increases for things to go bad and that should always be avoided for safety reasons. If you cannot be sure you will make that shot then do not take it, that is my personal rule.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a walnut and blued steel rifle I think they look right and would add to the resale value.

But I've never used them on a safari....ever.

I'm a heretic, if I was going to use a double (which I won't be) I'd fit a RMR and use that instead of irons..... Smiler

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do most of my hunting here at home with iron sights and often use my big bore rifles as practice. I am usually hunting reclaimed strip pits. When I say reclaimed these areas have been put back for over thirty years. They are thick.
I have taken deer and feral hogs with open sighted 375 Ruger, 405 win, 458 Lott, and open sighted .50 muzzleloaders.

Last year I took the Heym 500 bear hunting. I saw something, not a deer, a long way away. Whatever it was it was safe. But I will take the Heym again.

If I am hunting the top flats where I can see past 50 yards I will use a scope.

I did take and am taking a scoped rifle to Europe.

Posts: 12093 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Though I own several rifles of all types, I only own three rifles without iron sights! Those are #1 Remington 788 chambered for .223, and #2 a Ruger No1 varmint rifle with a bull barrel chambered for 7MM rem mag, and #3 is a 98 Mauser bull barreled rifle chambered for 22-250. All others have Irons and many of those with irons only. However most have Irons and quick detach scopes as well, especially those chambered for dangerous game hunting.

The time has come to mount all my double rifles with illuminated optics of one type or other because I have developed Macular degeneration in my right eye, and I am right handed, and simply cannot shoot left handed. With the optics I can shoot right handed with both eyes open, and binocular effect places the illuminated dot in the apex of the reticle in the center of the vision of both eyes. This is going to be an expensive undertaking, but necessary if I intend shooting my doubles now with any type of accuracy.

I simply will not have a big bore hunting rifle without irons except for specialized long range rifles like the ones I now own.

Having said the above, let me say I don't consider a scope to be of no value up close, but in some cases the removable of the scope to use the irons is a plus. None the less this happens to be the right of everyone to set his rifle up the way he chooses, the above is my choice!

.................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a cat in Zim at night with an illuminated 1.6-6 amber circle dot scope on my 9.3 double. For the follow up in thick stuff the scope was removed. Fortunately, I did not have to shoot.

Close and quick, opens work well.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
I have used scopes for 99% of my shooting. Killed a few deer with open sighted handguns. Under the right conditions I can hit steel silhouettes way out there with revolvers. Shooting at brown animals in the shade limits my expertise. So I have a question...............What is your maximum comfortable range you would shoot at a game animal with open sights?

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAC:
I have used scopes for 99% of my shooting. Killed a few deer with open sighted handguns. Under the right conditions I can hit steel silhouettes way out there with revolvers. Shooting at brown animals in the shade limits my expertise. So I have a question...............What is your maximum comfortable range you would shoot at a game animal with open sights?

I guess for me, it would depend on how big the animal is (kill zone), and how flat the trajectory of the cartridge is.

But nevertheless, a lot shorter than with a scope!

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdwest
posted Hide Post
Ive got irons on 3 of my rifles.. but have to admit I have never used irons on a hunt..

I'm planning on doing a buff hunt in 2019 and have thought about using the irons on my .375 and forgoing buying another scope (I've currently got it topped with a decent 3x9x40 that I have used for plains game.. but have thought about replacing that with either a 1x4 or a 2x7, etc. before I head back over for buffalo.)

Ive still got a while to make a decision.. but the thought of going irons only is pretty appealing to me.. I dont see a 50-100 yard shot with irons being a problem.. and irons only in a <50 yard situation I think could be a benefit..

Posts: 65 | Location: DFW | Registered: 01 August 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't own a gun without open sights or the option of open sights using QD scope and rings. I have no use for scope on a 458 Lott or larger caliber..nor on my Winchester lever guns, On Mausers and mod. 70s I use irons in the rain and snow of Idaho because they don't pack up full of snow or ice like a scope, and btw scope lens protectors do the same thing, they pack up with snow or ice...

I shoot a scope probably 75% of the time is a guess with my bolt guns..

I use receiver sights, peep sights, and barrel mounted irons, don't really have a favorite in most cases and they are all fine up to 200 or so yards, beyond that I prefer a scope. For DG and big bores give me irons or peep. Don't dare install a red dot gimmick on my doubles or any of my rifles, that's a hanging offence. that's my story and Im sticking to it.. beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote