THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Is $3500 A Fair Price To Add Intercepting Sears & An Articulated Front Trigger?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is $3500 A Fair Price To Add Intercepting Sears & An Articulated Front Trigger?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On a new SEARCY Double Rifle, (Boxlock) which is $9500 up to 500 N E caliber, is it worth $3500 more to add intercepting sears and an articulated front trigger?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
e

That's about a quarter what one of the big British firms would charge you for those features.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about adding intercepting sears a articulated front trigger to a PH model? You might as well pay the extra 2 grand and get the deluxe boxlock. You get nicer wood, better sculpted action, better checkering, nicer engraving, better fit and finish and probably a few other things I am forgetting

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
If you have the money go for the deluxe.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truth is, I would rather put my money into hunting trip costs than nicer looks in the rifle, I'd get the thing with a synthetic stock and zero engraving if it was available that way and could save me thousands!!!

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Did you talk to Butch? Is that how you got the 3500 number?

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
You could save 8 grand and get a bolt rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BFJ
Have you ever shot a double rifle? The reason I ask is this: I have a friend who has a Chapuis 470. When he shoots it it BANGS his second finger BAD. When I shoot it or when our other buddy shoots it it does not bother our second finger in the slightest. Like wise of all the doubles I have fired [several] I have never had my trigger finger "banged" by the front trigger when shooting the back trigger. So I put that into the catagory that if you need it it is well worth the money. Up to 500 Nitro I do not. A 577 or a 600, I might.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Good point it would really suck to spend 10 grand on a dr only to get it to the range and realize it hurt every time you let the left barrel go. Talk about dissapointing

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Could be the way he is fingering the back trigger. If he is sticking his trigger finger too far in when pulling the back trigger it will bang it good or worse yet, cut it badly.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Put your money into the hunt! The rifle will work just fine without the extras!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I've taken numerous chunks of skin out of my right index finger when shooting the left barrel in my Merkel .500.

An articulate trigger is a good idea in my opinion.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE450 No2 has it right. Its a personal issue wrt banging your trigger finger, or for that matter your second finger (on the trigger gaurd). I have never had a problem, my brother beats his fingers to death.

I think intercepting sears are a very important safety feature. But I have yet to encounter a situation where any of my doubles, shotguns or rifles had one trip, thus saving an accidental discharge. Maybe the ordinary caution in gun handling and muzzle awareness is sufficient.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To Bulldog 563, Yes I got the $3500 figure from Butch -
To NE 450 #2, Unfortunately for me, I've only within the walls of merchants stores handled the 50 or so doubles that I've touched. No I have not had the opportunity to fire a double, I'd love to!!! I'd pay a reasonable fee to anyone who would meet me with their double .416 caliber or bigger at one of the two ranges I belong to in northern New Jersey or any other range we could both get to, for the chance to shoot one and lunch too, is on ME!!!

Jack

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Jack,
Have you thought of flying out to Boron and meeting butch? Your are talking about spending over $10K on a rifle, a $400 plane ticket might be a wise investment and I am sure Butch will take you to lunch!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigFiveJack:

My old man is in Bucks County, PA - right across the river from Trenton.

He's taking posession on our .577 DR within the next few months. When we get it, I'll probably bring my .500 NE up with me and head to a range to shoot that baby.

When that happens, let's try to hook up.

this may even be a cool opportunity for other DR owners in the northeast to meet and shoot?

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Big5Jack, I would say get a PH Searcy with the things you can't live without. From what I've heard a Searcy will shoot forever and is solid as a rock. Should be good for a very long hunting life. But get your order in soon or you will completely miss the Africa season next year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To Roscoe, Yes I sure have thought of going to Butch in Ca. to see his operation, I might do that if I can't get a chance to handle a piece of his work in the NYC area, I'm in law enforcement so I have no legal concerns with handling guns even within the NYC borders

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To 577NE, You have a promise from me to try to make your idea come together! Do you drive around DC on the belt way then continue up RT 95?

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To BD563, Yes, I should get a $9500 rifle and be happy! When I called Butch , he told me he uses a PH 470 NE for his own shooting in Africa.

Jack

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Five Jack
Here is something you might try. Find a goose hunter that has a 12 or a 10 gauge double bbl 2 triggered shot gun. Shoot the hardest kicking loads you can fine. If that does not hurt your fingers, then you do not need it. Another thing is I would ask Butch how much it would cost the add the articulated trigger AFTER you took delivery of the rifle so if it did bang your finger you could get it added.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigFiveJack:

I just just south of DC, off exit 163 in 95, to head home, yes, I do fight the Goshdarn traffic on the beloved beltway, but then jump onto 295 right after the Wilson Bridge and take that all the way to 895 in Baltimore. I get back on 95 and take that to 495 around Wilmington, then get back on 95 and take it all the way to Fairless Hill. Without traffic, it takes exactly three hours.

The other day I had to attend a conference in Philly and it took 6.25 hours to drive from Philly back to my house during evening rush hour.

It can be a nightmare!!!!

I'll post updates on our .577 when we get it.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
On a new SEARCY Double Rifle, (Boxlock) which is $9500 up to 500 N E caliber, is it worth $3500 more to add intercepting sears and an articulated front trigger?

"IS $3500 a fair price to add intercepting sears & an articulated front trigger?"

It is a fair price, for the work, but, it isn't worth it to me, personally! I have owned over 50 double rifles in my life, and I have never owned a double with intercepting sears. I have not had a problem with doubleing, that could be traced to not haveing the INT Sears. The articulated trigger I've had, but I wouldn't pay extra to have one over a regular trigger. This opinion is formed from haveing owned, and fired doubles up to, and including 577NE. On a 600NE, or 700NE, I might think seriously about adding them, however. Wink

The need for these things is a personal thing, and if you want them, and are willing to spend the extra money, then well and good. The work involved is worth the price asked. I personally would spend the extra $3500 on another Buffalo
or 1/3 of that in wood up grades on the rifle, and the other 2/3 on another day or two of hunting! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote