New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beginning search for where to go.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK, instead of pouring over way too many web sites to see where to go I thought I would ask here. My wife and I are looking to return to Africa for our second safari. We are looking at the following as our primary animals to hunt:

Wifes choices, Cape Buffalo, Black Wildebeast, and waterbuck.

My choices, Springbok, bushbuck, eland.

In addition if time permits, I would like to predator call in a black back jackels.

Our past safari was in RSA. Will entertain any location.

Thanks for the advice!

Meat Eater.

Posts: 120 | Location: Northern Ohio | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
For the species you are after South Africa will be your best bet.

But you will have to travel if you are going to hunt buffalo in its own evironment and then go after the long range stuff the springbuck and Black wildebeest.

I will send you a pm as well.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the species you are after South Africa will be your best bet.

tu2I agree.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
If you are after a classic hunt for buffalo I would suggest Zimbabwe, not only does it have some of the finest buffalo hunting, it is also the most value for money, you could combine it with a South African hunt for springbok and black wildebeest ( take a day or 2 ), the rest on your list you can get in most free range areas in Zim.
Mart

email me for info if interested
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Spiral Horn Safaris
posted Hide Post
Hi Poochuss

Sent you a pm thank you very much for the opportunity!

Best regards
Louis van Bergen

Posts: 125 | Location: Limpopo South Africa | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry but I have to make this point. This request is going to land you the classic "supermarket" safari. As in "Buffalo on aisle one, springbok on aisle two".

Springbok are NEVER, repeat NEVER found together with buffalo in their natural habitat. Buffalo like bush and water. Springbok like arid open areas. Just as you won't find Moose and Pronghorn in the same place in NA.

Black Wildebeest are found only on game farms in RSA, Botswana and Nambia, where you are not going to find a wild Cape Buffalo. You may find a tame one called "Amos" though. Or perhaps "Moses".

Bushbuck are never found anywhere near a springbok. And bushbuck/eland is not the best combo.

Rather pick the habitat first and then the species follow. As in "Bushveld Hunt" for Kudu, Impala, Warthog, Blue Wildebeest, Bush Duiker, Giraffe and Waterbuck. "Kalahari Hunt" for Gemsbok, Springbok, Eland, Red Hartebeest (and Kudu if you didn't get one in the Bushveld). "Zululand Hunt" for Bushbuck, Nyala, Red Duiker, Suni and more Warthogs.

Of course you can do a double habitat hunt, if you have the time and money. But most people will do one habitat per hunt, coming back year after year to experience all the habitats and species.

My advice would be to focus on the buffalo, pick a good area, and then shoot whatever else happens to live in that same habitat. With buffalo, a species that must water every day, one often finds Kudu, Zebra, Impala, Warthog, Bushbuck, Waterbuck. Sometimes Eland. And in these concessions, you will have to hunt hard to get your PG, they are not stacked up at the feeding trough asking for it.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
tu2

Good advice Russ

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pretty well what russ said. you could do everything but the springbuck in the save in zim

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeep Russ nailed it!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
The answer to the question is very simple . . . You go on two safaris.

There is no real way to make a real hunt for all of those animals in one area.

There are likely less than five places I'd shoot a buff in RSA and one is head and shoulders above the rest IMO. That said, you'll still not find springbok and blk wildbeest in that area.

Safari One: Cape buff and PG in any country where there is a free ranging huntable population. Zim would be great for this.

Safari Two: RSA safari for the RSA specific species on your list. While there, why not take some other RSA locals like mtn reedbuck, steenbok, red hartebeest, nyala, gemsbok, cape eland, etc.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Might check into Namibia, specifically Vaughn Fulton for a 2 area hunt. I think he's got everything but bushbuck available.

A better option would be planning on 2 trips.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Russ.
That is the type of information I need. Now I can narrow it down for a good trophy Buff, and take advantage of what else may be around. Maybe after the buff hunt go to another place for other game.

Meat Eater.

Posts: 120 | Location: Northern Ohio | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
poochuss, i agree with some of the others, it really is a 2 safari menu. Having said that, you might check with Vaughn Fulton, of Fulton Classic safaris, in Namibia. he offers cape buff and other animals in the Caprivi strip, then more traditional plains game, farther south. Except for the bush buck, I think all are doable in Namibia, by hunting at least 2 areas. JMHO

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
I agree wholeheartedly that for a true free range hunting experience for buffalo, bushbuck, waterbuck and eland countries like Zimbabwe and Mozambique is impossible to beat. There is simply nothing that could compare to tracking buff for days on end before getting close enough to a shooter and getting a shot at a decent trophy...

However;

The condition (health / age / fitness) of the hunter could seriously impact on the success of the hunt and the overall experience. So... if your wife has the stamina and is in good enough physical condition to keep up with the trackers and PH's I'd suggest you talk to good people like Martin Pieters in Zim.

If not; you may want to look at other options such as RSA where - although not comparable in terms of the "free range experience" - you could still have a good hunt for the species you've mentioned provided you booked with a reputable Outfitter and you're willing to travel a bit between hunting areas.

Regards,

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poochuss,http://www.africanbarefootsafaris.co.za/ check out African Barefoot Safaris. I think we can help you.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Russ, you can find Moose and antelope around Idaho Falls, Idaho. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote