THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Boddington/Carter vs Buzz vs Big Bots Tuskers - Which one first

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boddington/Carter vs Buzz vs Big Bots Tuskers - Which one first
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at the elephant hunting DVD's available and was wondering what order you would put them in.

I like educational content and they all seem to be very highly rated. So please give your reviews on each if you have them along with the order in which you would get them.

Thanks
HQ

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Buzz Charlton Ele DVD gets my vote for value as an instruction on Elephant hunting

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
I like both. DVD of Buzz is more informative , but Boddington's is more interesting.

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Managed to get something of value out of all the Video's, but having completed my first hunt for Elephant last September can say with out doubt that Buzz's DVD prepared me totally for the entire experience. LOVE that ele hunting

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I will confess to being somewhat biased, but I think Buzz's first DVD is one of the finest hunting DVDs on the market. I would rank it first in terms of being informative, interesting and entertaining. It has some segments that are very unique, e.g., interviews with Sten Cedegren, Ian Nyschens and Richard Harland. That is not something you get on the usual "wack 'em and stack 'em" hunting DVD. I think Boddington on Elephant is also very good. It has sections that are designed to inform, but much of it is typical hunting video footage. Big Botswana Tuskers is great elephant footage but it is really just a series of hunting video clips strung together into a DVD. All are very good and worth owning and watching but I have to put Buzz's DVD at the top of the list.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing but positive on all of them. Buzz's DVD is the most informative and the others are entertaining as well.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

Hunting the African Elephant is one of the greatest instructional dvds ever. Think of Doctari's 'The Perfect Shot' concept applied to an elephant in motion.

Boddington's Elephant dvd is very good; a mix of entertainment and instruction. Great production quality.

Calitz's dvd is good; all entertainment and fun to watch.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I have them all and agree with other's comments.

If I had to have just one first, it would be Boddington's. It has all of the components but the best part about it is the entertainment value. It's the video that gets my heart pounding.

For instruction, no doubt Buzz's video gets the nod. Tells it like it is, has plenty of excitement but the best part is the DVD tells you what to do and how to do it right.

Big Bots Tuskers is sort of the desert after watching the other two in the order mentioned.

Again, all three are excellent. I have them as well as others and am greatly looking forward to Buzz's latest. But for one DVD that gets you out of your seat at times, has you sitting back and drooling at others and coming away and saying "I want to do THAT" Boddington's first.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me, Boddington on Buffalo I set the benchmark in the Bod series and it has not been exceeded with his subsequent titles.
Buzz's elephant piece is of that stature...informative and entertaining to the fullest.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have all three, Boddington's, Buzz, and Calitz and all are good. Like the other posts mentioned, Buzz's is the most educational. The information presented helped me immensely on my two elephant hunts. They certainly increased my profound respect for these magnifient animals. there is nothing like the thrill of being on a good track and getting up close. The shot placement instruction for brain shots frontal and side alone are well worth the price of Buzz's and Boddinton videos.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the clients in Buzz's DVD are exceptionally good looking. Boddington's not so much.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Remarkably, there appears to be a consensus on this post - perhaps it has something to do with the season? I agree with much of what has been previously posted, with Mike saying it best. Donning my movie critic's hat, here are my own thoughts and rankings:

Number 1:
Hunting the African Elephant - Buzz Charlton.
In this video, one of Africa's most renown PHs demonstrates his strong skills as a teacher. Of particular help is Buzz's easy-to-comprehend shot placement instruction, using graphic overlays and actual hunt footage showing both perfect shots and bad ones, as well. An added bonus is that, if you like the instruction on the video, you can actually book a hunt with the guy who provided it. I did. Unfortunately, as much as any of us might want to, you can't do that with Craig. As Mike said, the interviews with Nyschens, Harland, and Cedegren are great and worth the price of admission alone. Safari Press, which sells all of these videos, says, "...the BEST elephant hunting movie we have ever reviewed here at Safari Press". Very nicely filmed and edited, and at just over two hours, you're definitely getting your monies worth.
∫ ∫ ∫ ∫ ∫ (Five tusks out of Five) $39.95

Number 2:
Boddington on Elephant - Craig Boddington.
Craig virtually invented this genre, at least as we know it today. Well filmed (nice work, Dave), professionally edited (kudos again, Dave), and holistic in its coverage of the subject, this video is all of nearly three hours in length (two DVDs) which I think is great - the more the better. The first video is a series of hunts from TAA, and is more for entertainment and 'setting the mood', while the second is a purely instructional DVD. Lots of great stuff from the masters of the medium. (While it may have been my bad luck, I got two sets of Boddington on Elephant and each one had problems with the second disk, making it impossible to view the last 20-minutes.)
∫ ∫ ∫ ∫ 1/2 (Four-and-a-half tusks out of Five) $39.95

Number 3:
Big Botswana Tuskers - Johan Calitz.
The name of this video says it all - albeit in a way suggesting something more prurient. It's less an instructional video than it is collection of 15 elephant hunts with a PH famed for producing big-ivory. Great footage and some beautiful elephants, including a hunt with Boddington that was shown on TAA. Johan is viewed as the dean of African elephant hunting by many, but he imparts few teaching insights in this video. Too, when reading from a script, Johan is almost painfully deliberate in delivering his dialogue; however, when off script he is far more at ease and fun to listen to. At an hour and a half, this video is shorter than the other two, but then it doesn't present itself as instructional in nature. Enjoy it for what it is - good hunting entertainment.
∫ ∫ ∫ (Three tusks out of Five) $39.95

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I have all three as well. I agree with everyone else who have opined already.

Buzz's DVD is far and away the best from an instructional viewpoint. His shot placement instructions have me trying to find the correct shot placement every time I see an elephant, whether it be a real one, a mount, or a painting. I've hunted with Buzz's outfit twice and they are the best.

Boddington's DVDs are very entertaining with some real close call charges.

Johan's DVD I could take or leave. Most of the shooting appears far off. Could just be the camera angle but I like to watch (and do) elephant hunting really close.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All are good, but the one you need is "Hunting the African Elephant." That and Richard Harland's book "Ndlovu, the Art of Hunting the African Elephant." You'll end up buying lots of books, and probably several videos, but these are the foundation.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buzz's - More nuts and bolts straight forward how to that will help with all tracking type hunts. Less sizzle more steak.

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy both. Watch them. Sell the one you do not like on ARBAY.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
No elephant pre-hunt study regimine is complete without:

1. Buzz's videos
2. Bod and Carter on Ele, and
3. Anything written by Bill Stewart.

Merry Christmas Bill! Wink

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Buzzzzzzzzzzzz

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz by far if you want to prepare to actually hunt an elephant.

If you want to stay home, think about hunting, and be entertained, buy the others.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
BUZZ
a little tired of industry sponsored americano experts with a dozen safaris under their belt vs people who hunt elephant for a living,. surprised no one can see the difference?

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Buzz first.....Boddington a close second......BBT a distant third.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Quite the refrain - Buzz, Bodd, then Bots. BTW, I have to agree wholeheartedly with Marty's assessment that Buzz's video and Harland's Ndlovu make a solid foundation.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say:
Boddington and Carter are the best.
:-)

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Just buy them all, there's not a cull in the bunch!

................................. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote