Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magellan Triton 500 GPS Comments
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all. I originally posted this in the TECHNOLOGY forum, but it got 0 views. Since the receiver will be used for African hunting, I'm going out on a limb and posting it here.

Does anyone have experience with the new Magellan Triton 500 GPS receiver? I just bought one and I am very disappointed with it. I have used a Magellan GPS4000XL for many years with perfect satisfaction. I bought the Triton 500 sight unseen (dopey me!) because I wanted to upgrade to a GPS receiver that supports downloadable topo maps. I expected a similar “look and feel,†compared to the GPS4000XL. Boy was I in for a surprise!

The old GPS4000XL would do all of its functions with a minimum of button pushes, such as storing a landmark (called “waypoints†in the Triton) with just two button pushes (using the default landmark name). The Triton requires that you traverse a hierarchal file system to save a waypoint. Granted, I’ve only been using it for one day, but it is quite cumbersome to accomplish simple tasks.

Also, in my use of the Triton, it has “locked up†three times requiring me to “reboot†by removing the batteries. This receiver is based on Microsoft’s Windows CE operating system, so reboots shouldn’t be unexpected. It also explains the hierarchal menu structure.

In any event, I’m hoping that it is just my inexperience that is causing this frustration and it will all get better. As I get better at using it, I’ll let you know what I find.

Opinions posted by others will be most appreciated.

Good hunting,
Jim

Posts: 48 | Location: Helvetia, Oregon | Registered: 14 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know it's to late but I am a died in the wool Garmin man.

Just got for Xmas ( gift to myself ) a 76csx, coolest GPS I have ever used. Easier to use even tham my old 76.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote