Find
Notify
Tools

How do I get my guns to Zim
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
I've been down this road before and last time I hunted in Zim I ended up not taking my guns (used the PH's.)

Here's the delima. I fly every week and have a boat-load of AA miles. So I prefer to take an AA route (rather than Delta / SAA).

I'm familiar with the UK sanctions against Zim for temporary import...

Can I take my guns through JoBerg, then onto Zim without raising any eyebrows on return through the UK?

Also, I believe that Swiss Air is an AA partner and has a Zurich flight... Anyone tried that route?

Anyone have any experience in these sort of logistics?

Finally, can i not take two guns of the SAME caliber through RSA?

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
new_guy,

We are flying on AA Aadvantage miles this June and here is what we found.

British Airways will not allow you to transport firearms to ZIM.

SOLUTION: Book your Aadvantage flights to Johannesburg. Separately book and buy your flights from Johannesburg to ZIM and the return on South African Airways.

If you are staying overnight in England or arriving at Gatwick and departing Heathrow (or vice versa) then you need to have someone like Bunduki transfer/store your firearms.

We are returning via Zurich and it appears that it would be a good alternative if you don't want to go through London.

You are not allowed to temporarily import two firearms of the same caliber into RSA. If you are just connecting at Johannesburg and not clearing customs then you should be able to take two rifles of the same caliber. However, your rifles will only be checked to Johannesburg. So you will have to claim your firearms and recheck them on your flight to ZIM. I don't know if you can do this and not clear customs. Perhaps Optima could claim your bags so that you wouldn't have to clear customs. If, however, you are overnighting in Johannesburg and therefore clearing customs, you wouldn't be able to take two rifles of the same caliber.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kathi Klimes who is a travel agent and contributor to AR can help you with your mileage and gun issues. She has been there and done that and for a small fee she can help you sort it all out.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
all good info...

Thanks.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947