THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hasn't it SLOWED down a whole much...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hasn't it SLOWED down a whole much...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wow...Hasn't it slowed down a whole lot around here especially this year?

I've noticed a HUGE decline in activity here and wondering if its because of the economy or folk busy with other priorities?

I miss all the EXCITEMENT...hehehe

Just a couple years ago this forum was busy rockin' with folk going in/out of Africa...I know I've been hit bad by the economy...maybe others too don't have the same type of FUN MONEY anymore?

Just was curious more than anything?

Has anyone noticed the same?

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Of course it has. A few years ago, every guy who had a decent job and a bit of desire could save enough cash over a few years to go hunt plains game. Now most of this type of client, even if they have stable employment, are saving for financial contingencies, not hunting. Even some of the serious money clients who might have been able to hunt glamour game a few years ago have, I think, downshifted to lower end hunts rather than Marco-polo, Elephant, or NA sheep. Of course the result of this is plains game outfitters are probably still doing OK as people downshift . Similarly, outfitters who offer VERY limited glamour game hunts (think Takin or Markhor) are still sold out as there will always be more BIG BIG BIG money guys than tags. The hunts that are out there for a bargain now are those that formerly had glamour prices but also have plenty of available tags.....elephant, leopard, roan, some central African stuff, and NA sheep. At the very least a lot of these prices have stalled at levels from four years ago with some effectively declining as "specials" or "cancellations" are made available.Even Elk and premium deer seem to have become more of a bargain in the last couple years......the economy is the obvious reason.

Of course now some outfitters and agents will come on the thread claiming to be sold out for years.....but you will see their "cancellation hunts" in a few weeks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still, if you can scrape together some money make your best deal and go now. The US economy and the World economy is likely to get much worse in the near future. If you are holding out for a great future deal, don't be surprised that your expected income has dropped just as that deal shows up on the boards.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully people are just out there gathering more experiences before they come on here again with all things to share.IMO,there is another huge wave coming.Hopefully there will be more members posting videos of their hunts too.I am sure everyone enjoys watching videos and contributing there own video makes this site many times more fun.Congratulation to the folks who have been on safari many times and still find new things to learn and share.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Of course it has. A few years ago, every guy who had a decent job and a bit of desire could save enough cash over a few years to go hunt plains game. Now most of this type of client, even if they have stable employment, are saving for financial contingencies, not hunting. Even some of the serious money clients who might have been able to hunt glamour game a few years ago have, I think, downshifted to lower end hunts rather than Marco-polo, Elephant, or NA sheep. Of course the result of this is plains game outfitters are probably still doing OK as people downshift . Similarly, outfitters who offer VERY limited glamour game hunts (think Takin or Markhor) are still sold out as there will always be more BIG BIG BIG money guys than tags. The hunts that are out there for a bargain now are those that formerly had glamour prices but also have plenty of available tags.....elephant, leopard, roan, some central African stuff, and NA sheep. At the very least a lot of these prices have stalled at levels from four years ago with some effectively declining as "specials" or "cancellations" are made available.Even Elk and premium deer seem to have become more of a bargain in the last couple years......the economy is the obvious reason.

Of course now some outfitters and agents will come on the thread claiming to be sold out for years.....but you will see their "cancellation hunts" in a few weeks.

........OR could it be that this is the prime hunting season in Africa, and many who post here are in the field doing what they do with thier big bore rifles??????????

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
government, fuel, insurance and medical has sapped any available money for most people. they have nothing left for trips. I do believe there are more lurkers around here than before, it's just they don't have anything to say

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
LB, the other thing that has slowed here is the pissing festivals, and that's fine with me.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
LB, the other thing that has slowed here is the pissing festivals, and that's fine with me.

Ain't that the truth... rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreCore:
Still, if you can scrape together some money make your best deal and go now. The US economy and the World economy is likely to get much worse in the near future. If you are holding out for a great future deal, don't be surprised that your expected income has dropped just as that deal shows up on the boards.

Thanks for the reply I believe there's a lot of merit to all you've said. Hopefully, it'll be in my cards to go again in the next year or two Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:

tendrams,

Makes sense to me now that you've laid out the dynamics of it all...Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Maybe I have a warped sense of humor, but I thought some of the pissing contests were great entertainment!

Seriously though, this economy has affected me and turned me into a lurker lately. Most times I cannot even afford the gasoline that would take me to a place where I could fish or hunt here in the States. And plans for my next African hunting trip have been put on the farthest-back burner, unfortunately.

I recently talked to three guys (two brothers and their dad) who are currently on their first African safari (plainsgame), and they told me they are only shipping home skull mounts, not because they didn't want to get anything mounted, but because they already knew they couldn't afford it. Sad.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Agreed that the economy is the biggest reason for the lack of conversation and reports however I think there is another factor.

When many on this board started going to Africa (in my case, 13 safaries ago) I did not personally know anyone else in this area who had done it. Now I know more than a dozen people in this immediate area who have killed a buffalo and two of them are women.

Getting a buffalo or elephant is still just as much of an accomplishment as it ever has been but it is not as unique as it was ten years ago.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know an outfitter that 4 years ago was booked up.
This year by the info on their website it looks like they had less than 10 safaris altogether.
I know for me, it's the economy.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
My small business has seen a definite improvement his year, after 4 years of sheer misery. But then it could be a very minor factor for a small business employing 3 or 4 people in New Zealand.

I am biting the bullet and signing a contract with flexible dates and paying $1000 at a time. Hopefully I'll be in the Zimbabwe bush this time next year! Worst case I hope to go in 2014.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Always slow this time of year...

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote