THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Morning is breaking... (still in progress)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Morning is breaking... (still in progress)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I'd turned on the overhead valve on the gravity shower a minute or so before. After too-long savoring the gentle spray, I knew full well that the gloriously warm water could only last a few more seconds.

Even though I'd rinsed all the soap from my rotund body, I waited until there was only a dribble or two from the showerhead and sighed. reluctantly, I twisted the handle to still the occasional drop and reached for the Ritz-like, fluffy towel... I'd bathed here five mornings in a row in anticipation of what I didn't have but a clue or two, but the steamy magic of the name, just the three words, "in the Selous", thrilled me as surely and entirely as my first solo in Daddy's convertible '53 Chevy. Every day was a holiday, and every meal was a feast. Dammit, I was in Africa.

Last night, after eland filets, baked potato, steamed, fresh asparagus with a lemon-cream sauce and far, far too much dusty red wine, I'd laid out my clothes for the next day: pants with zip-off legs that morphed into shorts, ironed grundies (amazingly still warm), a tee shirt, my belt with an ammo keeper attached, a Serengeti over-shirt from Cabelas and socks (ironed and still warm, too).

I pulled on my just-over-the-ankle boots and dressed, and with my ball cap (my P.H.'s logo thereupon) on my head, I looked around the tent and saw that my back pack was filled with extra ammo, bugdope/sun screen, a book, diaper Wipes, a liter of water with electrolyte mix therein, a flashlight and maybe enough other stuff to win liberty for the Sudan. (Heck, I wasn't going to tote it!) I made sure that my rifle was zipped tightly in its case and both the pack and gun were ready for a tracker of skinner to round them up and put them in the Land Cruiser.

Satisfied, I then unzipped the door to the tent and, in the light of softly glowing 12 volt bulbs, powered by batteries to avoid the bump-bump of the generator so early on such a perfect morning, I made my way to the dining area for a breakfast of eggs-over-easy, spicy sausage, fresh baked whole wheat toast and more anticipation of what may happen in the absolute wildness of Africa.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
So far this is the only way I have to get into a safari camp. JudgeG, when your installment ends I get jolted back to East Texas. Please send me back.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Hey Judge, make it about elephants, OK?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but this one's about the bad case of piles that Ray had last year.

Cool

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I hear that after Ray took his mineral oil in Dallas, his piles were the size of elephant piles. So, I guess that is OK.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Judge G...

I needed a "Selous tonic" to get my morning started.

Just 7 months and 4 days till I too will be dipping a rusk into a cup of camp coffee!

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This ruined my whole day!!! Once while on a bear hunt in upper Manitoba, I saw JudgeG buck-assed naked walk into a lake to bathe. I was hoping to block out this horrible memory, but to read of him in the shower brought it all crashing back. It wasn't a pretty sight. Woe is me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
OK folks, does the abreviation *TMI* (as in TOO MUCH INFORMATION)mean anything to you all? Between descriptions of his honor's birthday suit and mr. Atkinson's bout with Piles, this is more than I can take! 1115, you poor wretched soul! how did you recover ? Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,
You are torturing me. I am sitting here with an itchy trigger finger looking out the window at fresh snow & more coming down. It is a good thing my credit cards don't have enough room on them or I might get froggy.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Judge,

I do not care if Ray has the running trots, get on with your story.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Is Ray still taking those Lariam suppositories?

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

You did okay, it was a nice read while I was at "work" this morning!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

My terror was short lived. Soon after JudgeG entered the water, the GreenPeace people came and took him away.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
1115: Ouch! Smiler jorge

PS: you going to "AFrican night" on the 22nd? I'm bringing the wife. j

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

I will be there with Mrs 1115, and daughter. Look forward to meeting your better half.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
See ya there. My better half IS definetly better! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member