Find
Notify
Tools

Ox Pecker Birds
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I'm not sure if this is the correct name, but I'm reffering to the little bird that removes parisites from the various game species. I was thinking about how we always want the most realistic looking taxidermy and thought an ox pecker would look nice on a giraffe or buffalo mount. Are these little birds legal to shoot and import?

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
'fraid not

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

Steve's right.

Thanks to insecticides and cattle dips, they are not seen in the numbers and areas that they used to be.

Posts: 181 | Location: Windhoek Namibia | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it leads into a question I have.

In Safari magazine, there is a photo of a mounted Bongo family - Bull, cow and very small calf.

Are there laws in Africa concerning the shooting of very young animals?

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had African game birds mounted? I am going on my first African trip May 2005 and would like to do a brief wing shoot and was wondering how they turn out.

Post a pic if you have one.

thanks

Posts: 2581 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,
It is possible to obtain permits for such exhibits in every country for Musems, displays, etc. It is called a curator law.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend has a Lilac Breasted Roller mounted on a small pedestal with branch. It is on a small round table in his foyer and is stunning. His taxidermist did a bird shooting collection for some of his commercial work a year or two ago.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Well, guess it was worth a try. Thanks for the replies. maybe I can find a bird in the USA that closely resembles an ox pecker.
Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
just a thought but i have seen some work by guys who can carve birds that look very real. Might not be that much more $ than taxidermy and they could copy the bird you want.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Arts,

that wasn't a good thing to tell me. Now I'll be looking for ox peckers and shooting at them. "Shoot him right behind the shoulder." "No, I'm waiting for an ox pecker to get in the way."

Sevens

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an idea, but---If someone would contract with a very talented bird carver, and produce a really good ox pecker with textured feathers and all, then make a mold and reproduce some in fiberglass resin, glass eyes, and cast feet, they probably could sell them for $100 or more. I bet you could sell a thousand of them. I sure would like a few perched on my life size kudu, my life size cape buffalo, and my pedestal giraffe. Just a problem of logistics and a little up front money. I bet there are more than a few members of AR that would buy some--and taxidermists? Just a thought?

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
RBHunt,

I would buy one. It just has to look realistic. This is off topic, but would you mind posting a picture of your full body kudu and cape buffalo. I'm a sucker for taxidermy.

Sevens