New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant Skull
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone ever ship an elephant skull back, what do they weigh?

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I tried to bring one back, but they said I did not have a CITES permit to do so...the primary problem being I did not shoot that elephant! I have seen several in peoples trophy rooms so I know it can be done. the one below was about 60# without the mandible.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You could send a PM to BigB. I think he had one sent back. His wife may have given him the boot, though, because of it! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Wanderer,

I think mine weighed about 90 pounds and added about $1,000 to the shipping expense. The box gets a lot bigger with the skull in it and they charge by size and weight.

2 years later it still smells a bit on a hot humid day. The neighborhood dogs like it as does my Brittany, she thinks it is the biggest bone yet.

Will,

Wife still likes all the taxidermy stuff, I think the skull will end up in the garden. She did draw the line at a full mount hyena.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Having my skull shipped home from my Tanzanian elephant...Will make a great conversation piece on porch or side yard...
I picked up one at the taxidermists it weighed 50 to 60lbs. I was surprised!!! Thought they were heavier..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I shipped my Elephant's skull and jaw back from Zimbabwe along with the tusks, two buffalo skulls a lion skull and the lion's skin. The total cost was $1,700 to California.

I would guess that it added about $700 to the total. Even at twice that price it would have been worth it.

My one regret is that I did not bring the Elephant's leg bone back. It might have added fifty dollars to the total but it would have been a nice addition to a trophy room.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigB:
Wanderer,

I think mine weighed about 90 pounds and added about $1,000 to the shipping expense. The box gets a lot bigger with the skull in it and they charge by size and weight.

2 years later it still smells a bit on a hot humid day. The neighborhood dogs like it as does my Brittany, she thinks it is the biggest bone yet.

Will,

Wife still likes all the taxidermy stuff, I think the skull will end up in the garden. She did draw the line at a full mount hyena.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote