New
Find
Notify
Tools

Richard Harland..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got into an argument here about the number of elephant he shot/culled during his career..

Anyone..?

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More than me. Big Grin

Of course, I think he passed me when he was a teenager. Big Grin

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I do not recall Richard ever mentioning a number, he is far too modest and much too much of a gentleman. Suffice it to say it was beaucoup. I know that he was the guide (when he was with National Parks) that accompanied the hunter that shot the biggest elephant that has been shot in Zimbabwe.

Mike

Posts: 21656 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
And how does this matter to anyone??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68610 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Mike is absolutely right - he is far too modest and too much of a gentleman to let numbers enter the conversation. I feel very honored to have met and spent a day on the river with him. I'm also now the owner of two of his wife's elephant paintings ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our discussions centered on other's achievements and not his. If you want to engage him and his lovely wife in a discussion probably best to talk about opera and pianos. He is a classic gentleman.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richard has gone out of his way not to mention how many he has shot! Good on him!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"One might as well ask a dentist how many teeth he has pulled...."

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
"One might as well ask a dentist how many teeth he has pulled...."

LOL. I just read that Samaki Salmon quote earlier today. Jeopardy time, who asked Salmon how many elephant he had shot that resulted in him making this statement?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Kinda funny.
It's like asking most of us how many pigs, deer, ducks, geese, pheasants ... we shot in out lifetime.
Anybody counts?
Besides Who is this guy Harland?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked Richard during a dinner in Harare last October. He said he could not answer - he just said hundreds. We leftvthe subject. It was very enjoyable dinner and as other say Richard is a person that do not promote himself very much. I would very much like to have dinner with him again. Full of stories and every aspect of life and hunting.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1140 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

Besides Who is this guy Harland?

Do yourself a favor and get a copy of The Hunting Imperative. You will enjoy it.

http://www.safaripress.com/The...ductinfo/HARLAND99Z/

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would echo Mikes' sentiments. Richard is a true gentleman, and I consider it a privilege to have shared a camp with him. I would venture a guess that he has as much experience with Elephant as anyone alive today.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
It is easy to answer that question! LOTS!!! Richard did his job.

MIke

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys
Will do. One thing, never enough books to read

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, was it Tony Sanchez-Arino?

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Mike, was it Tony Sanchez-Arino?

Dutch

LOL. It was the Prince of Wales (later King Henry VIII) while on safari in 1928.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son asked Richard that question last year while having dinner with him at Buzz's. Richard said he had no idea and never tried to add them up but if memory serves me correctly when pressed by my son he said it was over 200 while in his early 20's.