THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Do you enjoy reading Boddington...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Do you enjoy reading Boddington...
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Quote:

My only problem is that his last few books have been released as limited editions with the attendent high(er) prices.

Me too. I'd love to read some of his recent Safari Press titles, particularly the one about hunting the Spiral Horns. I'd have to put up my vehicle just to borrow one though! I've reached the conclusion that I can save all my sheckels to go hunt in Africa, or I can keep buying books and read about other peoples adventures. Much as I like to read, I'd rather start making my own memories.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like his writtings and I think Safari Rifles is one of the best yet, very informative and enjoyable reading..I have visited with him at SCI on ocassions, he is a gentleman...

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

Keep your eyes on your Safari Press catalogs in the future. Most of the limited edition books come out eventually as "trade editions" at a much lower price.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig is a masterful writer but he is also pretty good at using a wide angle lens!

I write for a magazine but mostly technical stuff, esp long range shooting. I am not, nor do I want to be, a full time writer. Frankly, you do have to "whore" yourself because the pays stinks and that is the only way you can go on hunts. (Actually, there are quite a few writers who pay for hunts they really want to make but can't get anyone to foot the bill.) I have no desire to do that. It sounds wonderful, but to me it is a huge risk: what happens if the industry changes dramatically? How do you go hunting then? Frankly, I would rather rely on my own ability to earn scratch than count on others.

I have a few reject slips from when Boddington was an editor at HUNTING (I actually wrote about that in a piece I wrote in that mag's 25th anniversary issue titled, "My Life with Petersen's HUNTING.')

I don't find CB too technical. Like most writers, Boddington continues to write about a bullet shot at an angle only being affected by gravity over the horizontal portion of its flight (that is just plain wrong).

But all that aside, I really like his writing. I think he blends technical writing together with narrative story telling as well as anyone ever has. Unlike some "gun" writers, the guy actually kills stuff.

I don't think his ad for the flashlights has everyone in the PR business doing backflips. But then again, there are two writers I know who work for supplier companies. One in particular uses his employer's weapon an awful lot, but no one seems to know he is actually on their payroll. That kind of thing is troubling to me and others in the industry, but then, not being a full-time writer, who am I to say?

Back to the subject, however. I think CB's books and articles are outstanding. Unlike a certain famous shooting writer (who I greatly respect) he doesn't tell the same old boring stories over and over - nor does he ever act arrogant. And who among us doesn't have a tattered copy of Safari Rifles?

My only real beef with CB is that he writes about missing shots too much. I have a hard time believing he has missed as much as he claims...

Boddington may be a full time writer, but he is also a Reserve Marine Corps officer, and we all owe him a "thank you" for that.

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote