THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    zambia in early Sept in Sichifulo - The good and the Bad!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

zambia in early Sept in Sichifulo - The good and the Bad!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Please give me your thoughts and experiences. My main animals of interest would be buffalo, sable, eland, kudu and bushbuck. I am appreciative of your time and knowledge.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only hassle I think would be the weather. It is very hot here in september. Just make sure you do not dehydrate it can be a big damper on a very good area. Also start your keep fit regime now as you are going to walk for the species you want.

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
zambian, thanks for your insight. Which specie are considered the best quality to hunt in this area. My concern here is that so far you have been the only responder. Perhaps this country is just not that popular with the hunters/outfitters on this forum?

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
muygrande - I am sorry that I am not personally familiar with the concessions surrounding the Kafue National Park. Based on history of posts, I don't recall others hunting here either, which does not mean that it is not a good area. And remember that Zambia was closed for hunting for ~2-years.

I hunted the Lower Lupande area of Zambia last Sept (2004) and had a great safari. The concession which is to the north-east of where you are looking, boarders the Luangwa River. It was dry, so the animals were concentrated along the river and the bush was open. Weather was nice, a bit warm in the afternoons but pleasant at nights and morning. There's a report over on the Hunting Reports - Africa forum.

In general terms, I'd check with the outfitter and see how they pattern the game at this time of the year. Regarding the buffalo in particular, see how they are hunted, and if there are any resident herds and permanent water sources. Looking at the map, the Sichfulo looks to share maybe a 25km boarder with the Kafue, find out if you have not already if this is where the majority of hunting takes place as one would expect, if there is much poaching in the rest of the concession, how the road system is, etc. In general, the areas south of the Kafue are known for very good sable and roan. If you have not considered a roan, you should if there are any available on quota. They are a great animal to track-hunt, walking upwards of 20km daily after drinking. They prefer high-grass and at least when I hunted them in the Caprivi, avoided areas that had been burned.

There are a few reports on The Hunting Report, but nothing since 2000. As you probably know, as of 2004, the Sichfulo was listed as a "prime" concession, and the 10-year lease was owned by "Alfa Recreational Safaris". Who are you considering hunting with? Were you able to contact some references, and in particular for last September?

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
Please give me your thoughts and experiences. My main animals of interest would be buffalo, sable, eland, kudu and bushbuck. I am appreciative of your time and knowledge.

Hey Muygrande, One animal you didn't mention is the Puku! I'm not sure haw the population of Puku is where you are going, but if they are there, you should think about taking one. The Puku is not found any place other than Zambia, as far as I know. The Kafuwe area has pleanty of water in most areas, and the Kefuwe flats are a miles wide shallow grassy marsh. That area have the Kafuwe Lechwe, the largest of the lechwe family. Bala Bala Safaris has a hunting ranch just north of the Kafuwe Ntl Park, and they take some good buffalo there.
I have not hunted this part of Zambia, haveing only hunted the Luangwa Valley, and Lake Bangwelu, but Zambia is true "OLD AFRICA" and a very good country to hunt! I have been thinking of booking with Bala Bala for a hunt on the Dendro, for Buffalo, and maybe Leopard. Also, I've never hunted Zambia in September, much prefereing the first half of July, because it rarely gets higher than 80 deg, and the nights are actually fairly cold, and the Luangwa river is usually running wide, for Hippo, and Croc!

Good luck on your hunt in Zambia, and let us know how you did in the Kafuwe area, when you return!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill and Mac, thanks for some very good insight and information. Mac,I have noticed the puku and appreciate your bringing it to my attention. I have seen in other forums where Zambia in late September gets awfully hot. If I go it will be early September so perhaps it will be a few degrees cooler! Bill I have considered roan and indeed they are a fine animal. At least I am told that they reqire many more days than I have available to even think about a roan/sable. Maybe next time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Muygrande

I'am going to the Mumbwa area next to the Kafue in two weeks. I am hunting with Swan/Scan. Who are you hunting with?

Sprig

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
We ( Dendro Park Private Ranch ) are located adjacent to Bilili/Nkala GMA and on the Kafue National Park boundary, the only ranch in Zambia which borders a National Park, then below that is Sichafula and adjacet to that Mulobezi GMA.

All three GMA areas are nestled next to Kafue National Park in Southern Province.

Being a (private owner operated ranch) we dont personally hunt in those GMA areas ourselves, but from what we hear from the drums it should be reasonable, but hunting is hunting, it is not a supermarket, so you get what you find at that time on that parrticular day. I become wary when someone can promise something 100% in hunting, so unless you can tell us the specific Outfitter and also the PH as well whom you might hunt with, it becomes difficult to be more informative.

Just remember, the Zambia hunting season normally opens in May and this year so far it has been (comparativly DRY in our region) so it could be that by September it might be real dry and sparse, and yes it will be hot as well, but not like the Luangwa Valley which can be blistering hot and stiffling at times.

Our regional area is elevated 1000+ meters so that makes for cooler mornings and mild to hot days .... Just about perfect IMHO.

We personally are about to start our third ranch hunt for this season later this week

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sprig and Peter thank you for your comments. I am not committed at this time only doing my due diligence! One of the outfitters will be Alfa and Peter there have been no promises and none asked for. I should be getting references and additional information soon. I can stand hot being from S. Texas but do not want above low 90's in the PM? I understand that water is on utmost importance and as I hear you it is certainly important this year with the dryness they are experiencing.