New
Find
Notify
Tools

Courteney boots
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got a pair of Hippo courteney boots I ordered. They look great, but man oh man are they ever uncomfortable. I am going to soak them in the bath tub tonight and wear them until they are dry.

I don't reccomend them! Anyone own the buffalo kind? How are they?

I have been wearing Danner 8 inch Acadias desert and black for 10 years and am not impressed with these at all. I guess I take my $250 lesson and go back to Danner.

Posts: 228 | Location: Spain Jerez (Cadiz) | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Courtney boots in both ele and buff. I also have their "vellie" models that I use all the time. For me they are great! The ele's are slightly on the heavy side but I have gotten used to them. I wear the buff ones in open country and the ele ones in Mountain forest country. All of mine were "custom" made and fit me perfectly from day 1. No "breaking-in" required. I got mine straight from Bulawayo for under $100 and I feel they are worth every penny. thumb Sounds like you bought yours from WR Eeker

I have already had the soles replaced once on my ele - have had those for 8 years - for free! I guess the hippo ones might be "stiffer"?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I likewise had them custom made in Bulawayo and shipped over here to USA. It was cheap, but man they are uncomfortable. Buffalo. Maybe soaking them in the bath tub is the answer. Soles leave black marks all ove the house, so do the two pair I had made for the Ms. of a different style. She likes hers except for the black marks.

I'd have to look at the boot to see the styles we got.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I've gone with Courtney's, before, and they're a nice boot if you get them sized properly.

However, I think Russell's are a much better boot.

www.russellmoccasin.com

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
That will teach ya to leave the Danner family! Smiler

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a pair of "Patrol" model Courtney boots through Westley Richards a few years ago. [I believe they were discontinued]. Put them on in the house for a few days and sent them right back. They were VERY uncomfortable, and poorly made compared to any Danner, Russell, or certainly the Ecco's that I wear everywhere now.

[I also ordered the Haversack at the same time - really cheesy looking and not worth the price IMHO - sent it back too.]

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of Danner boots and they tried to bite my toes off. Although I considered Courtneys, the lack of arch support worried me. Since I like to look good in the bush, this year I think I will try these shoes:

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually those must be quite good for walking, I have seen trackers and camp staff wearing simular shoes, but with the toes cut out... jump

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey "500" those "slippers" along with a Khaki Tux and Zebra Cummerbund!?

Danners and Russells are what I have worn for years. The Danners more durable, higher performance. The Russells more comfortable (if you get properly measured)and cooler looking. Plus the folks at Russell will build you almost any combination of leathers and soles you want.

Danner is what you get off the shelf, but if they fit well - they are hard to beat! My choice for prolonged hardcore use: Danner Mtn. Light hikers.

For the Russels, the "Mountain PH" is the ticket for hot climes - canvas sides with hiking boot shanks, heel counters and exceptional comfort.

Fit should be the deciding factor.

Jeff

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I have had a pair of Courtney Safaris for a few years. Used them in South Dakota for pheasant, Texas for whitetail, and RSA for plainsgame. Finally got over my infatuation with having "African" hunting boots (their adds with John Sharp are pretty cool) and ordered a pair of Russell that are intransit as I write. While the Courtneys are constructed well, they do not fit very well and as noted earlier have no arch support. They will soon be relegated to back-up duty.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
I have a pair that are made from Buff and I think they are one of the most comfortable pair of boots (right out of the box) that I have ever had. The only thing I would change about them would be more padding in the back where it rubs against the back of the ankle. But to each his own.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the "Safari" boots. Very comfortable from the beginning. As mentioned, you will need to get the correct size as their method of sizing differs from the standard US sizing.

Like LHowell, I too had a pair of the discontinued "Patrols" and sent them back to WR. Very uncomfortable as they bit into my shin and calf area.

One drawback is that the sole, while soft and comfortable, does pick up rocks easily due to their tread design.

Bottom line is that I won't pay Westley Richards prices again but if in Zimbabwe I would pick up another pair of "Safari's" or "Selous's" at local cost.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Safaris & the Selous. I prefer the Safari, it's just a more comfortable boot. I wear mine all of the time, walked miles & miles last Sept. in MOz. even in the swamp. I won't pay the WR price, but if anyone is going to Zim. & wants to bring me another pair.....? thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
I asked my PH in Zim to get a pair in hippo for me and a pair in buffalo for my son in the Hunter style directly from the factory in Bulawayo. They were a third of the cost of the price at SCI. I had intended to use my Russell PH II's but the Courteney boots had better traction on the Zim rocks and were very cofortable right out of the box, so were my sons and he continued to use his. I guess it is all a matter of do you have a good fit.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Actually those must be quite good for walking, I have seen trackers and camp staff wearing simular shoes, but with the toes cut out... jump

We could make a movie and call it "A spat with spats"!!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Not to fond of them either. Danner desert acadias are the best hot weather boots going.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah those Desert Acadias are good -no Gore Tex is one of the better non-features. Mine have held up pretty good. I'd like to see them in a 6" boot though.

Jeff

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
The new Danner USMC TEMPERATE should make a good safari boot. They come with or without gore-tex.

http://www.danner.com/products.asp?catid=12&prodid=2226&CMP=KAC-12345678910

I like my selous from Courteney but are also happy with my danner Canadian.
Next pair of boots for warm weather will be the USMC TEMPERATE Wink

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre,

Wise choice!

Let me know if you have trouble locating them.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my first pair of Courtenays this past July in Zim--the safari model. Most comfortable things I've ever had on my feet. Goes to show--everybody's feet are different!

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf

Thanks for posting the great picture Cool
I also have the Veldskoens and like them very much.
I all my Courteneys I have a special soft sport sole with arch support and that combo is perfect.

The best slip ons are the RM Williams "Yard" boots.

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a pair of the Selous....very comfortable. I've not hunted with them yet, but have walked the woods quite a bit. They fit and feel great. The soles do tend to pick up stones a bit...but no big deal. I'll buy another....but thru a PH friend of mine...WR is real proud of them.

Gary B.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a picture of a danish hunter in RSA.. oohhh it is me nut Note the boots thumb The selous Wink

Cheers,

André